Laws on Shooting an attacking dog in Montgomery County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Yup, do whatever YOU have to do. Fools think Pits are great...... until it's their kid that gets mauled or scared for life. :sad20:

I guess i am a fool, because all of the pits in my care ARE great.

941247_10201200137271147_369920543_n.jpg

528294_651695684876331_2080111968_n.jpg

59802_4796128266747_748605676_n.jpg

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    Link below about off duty federal officer shooting a dog while at a dog park in Severn, MD. Officer claims that the husky attacked his dog and he feared for his life. I used to live in this neighborhood before the dog park existed, and I dont know either party. From what I initially read, they were not going to charge the officer, but the county executive got involved after people in the neighborhood started complaining.

Somewhat similar situation except you are talking about only being on your property. But look what they ended up charging him with. IMO if he was a regular civilian they would have brought charges sooner.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/17971487/officer-who-shot-dog-at-md-dog-park-to-be-charged

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    Can someone help me out? Do I have to get attacked and actually be bitten first before I can legally shoot a neighbor's dog?

Now I'm not talking about a barking and growling dog on their side of the fence. I'd just have to keep my distance.

But what if this Pit Bull jumped the fence (which this dog certainly can do, easily) and charges me or my elderly mother and her little 7 lb, wimpy dog? Do I have to wait until one of us get bitten first or can I legally shoot it when it hops the fence and being aggressive?

Because if it gets my mother, it may kill her or I may not shoot and risk her getting shot with hollowpoints, as an old woman is not going to do well with HP's in her. Her little dog will definitely die from just one clamp of this Pit Bull's jaw, easily.
    REMEMBER THE 3 S.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Let me know when black rifles think on their own INSTINCT. :rolleyes:

Dogs do what they learn or are allowed to do. The breed means nothing.

Multiple breeds have been vilified throughout the years. I remember dobermans, shepherds, rottweilers and others. Also, keep in mind, animals are animals. No matter if it is a parakeet, garter snake, ferret or dog. Treat them with respect and be the one in control and you will never have an issue.

Your ignorance in this area is abundantly clear.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    as a responsible dog owner who has the tendency to rescue those who have no chance at a normal family life due to aggressive behavior from the treatment of the previous owners, i will simply ask you to make the effort to do everything possible to avoid shooting this otherwise labelled breed. contact the owners, if they give the impression they don't care what you have to say, contact animal control AND the police. when they contact the owners, they will realize the situation (hopefully) is being reviewed by the authorities and maybe they will make an extra effort to better contain their pet. if you have witnessed any animal abuse, please make a record of it by video/recording or otherwise write down dates and times of the abuse and get witnesses to hopefully come forward with what they have witnessed. remember, this is THEIR pet and if you shoot and either kill or maim it, the full weight of your decision will come down on you with lengthy court appearances. even if you are in the right, you will be financially drained from not going the extra length to remedy this by other means. best wishes.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Dogs do what they learn or are allowed to do. The breed means nothing.

Multiple breeds have been vilified throughout the years. I remember dobermans, shepherds, rottweilers and others. Also, keep in mind, animals are animals. No matter if it is a parakeet, garter snake, ferret or dog. Treat them with respect and be the one in control and you will never have an issue.

Your ignorance in this area is abundantly clear.

Dogs are BRED to do certain things.... my pointer stalks and has a nose second to almost none, the Yorkie was BRED to kill rats.... the other lil pos was bred to be a midget......... OTHER dogs were BRED to fight,

Your stupidity on the matter is dangerous to your kids. Wanna keep going with the insults? :sad20:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Dogs are BRED to do certain things.... my pointer stalks and has a nose second to almost none, the Yorkie was BRED to kill rats.... the other lil pos was bred to be a midget......... OTHER dogs were BRED to fight,

Your stupidity on the matter is dangerous to your kids. Wanna keep going with the insults? :sad20:

Pits were not originally bred to fight bulls. That was a secondary use. There use as fighting dogs was based on their use as hunting dogs. Your lack of knowledge on the matter and persistence is remarkable. Really want to call my parenting of my children into this? You are something else.

BTW, what is your personal experience with this breed?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    as a responsible dog owner who has the tendency to rescue those who have no chance at a normal family life due to aggressive behavior from the treatment of the previous owners, i will simply ask you to make the effort to do everything possible to avoid shooting this otherwise labelled breed. contact the owners, if they give the impression they don't care what you have to say, contact animal control AND the police. when they contact the owners, they will realize the situation (hopefully) is being reviewed by the authorities and maybe they will make an extra effort to better contain their pet. if you have witnessed any animal abuse, please make a record of it by video/recording or otherwise write down dates and times of the abuse and get witnesses to hopefully come forward with what they have witnessed. remember, this is THEIR pet and if you shoot and either kill or maim it, the full weight of your decision will come down on you with lengthy court appearances. even if you are in the right, you will be financially drained from not going the extra length to remedy this by other means. best wishes.

:thumbsup:

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I admire that people have confidence in their skill level enough to think they are going to draw and hit a moving attacking dog, when we all watch the videos how fast a person closes in from 7 yards out. Now in theory one can try, and I'm not saying do nothing, and maybe you can gauge it coming and have your firearm already out but I think 8/10 times you'll miss.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's Mo Co. Even if you try to do the right thing, if you shoot the dog they are going to charge you with every firearm and public safety violation they can find.

Bear spray sounds better to me.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Bart, you're baiting. There are bad dogs. There are bad owners. All pits aren't bad. The problem(s) exist as:

1). When a dog is bad, that's not good. When a pit is bad, they're VERY STRONG AND VERY TOUGH TO STOP.

2). There are too many pit owners who FAIL THE DOG and nurture using their own insecurity and teach the dog to be scared and mean.

Failure of accountability is the problem here. Not Pit Bulls.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Bart, you're baiting. There are bad dogs. There are bad owners. All pits aren't bad. The problem(s) exist as:

1). When a dog is bad, that's not good. When a pit is bad, they're VERY STRONG AND VERY TOUGH TO STOP.

2). There are too many pit owners who FAIL THE DOG and nurture using their own insecurity and teach the dog to be scared and mean.

Failure of accountability is the problem here. Not Pit Bulls.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom