Laws on Shooting an attacking dog in Montgomery County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    And all black rifles are evil and more deadly than any other type of firearm. Sound ignorant now?

Left to it's own, the rifle will rust. The dog, not so much. The OP was pretty clear to me.

Just about very time I'm out in my yard and/or walking near the fence bordering our yards, the dog charges towards me and bites the shiz out of the metal linked fence. Full jaws clamping and yanking on the metal fence, growling like crazy while the other Pit Bull stays right behind, barking & growling.

I love all animals. That behavior does not say "friendly dog" to me.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I wouldn't feed that dog a damned thing.

If the dog gets sick, the owners will swear it was poisoned.

Then it's guilty until proven innocent time.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I wouldn't feed that dog a damned thing.

If the dog gets sick, the owners will swear it was poisoned.

Then it's guilty until proven innocent time.

That is a fair point, probably wouldn't hurt to get owners permission first. But if they weren't receptive to it that would be a good time to tell them this situation is about to go to shit !

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Hell yeah there's a fear of a breed that's known to be aggressive and was specifically created to attack and kill bulls for sport and then other dogs for hundreds of years. And these Pit Bulls are rushing the fence at me whenever I'm walking around inside my own yard. I fight for a hobby, KO'ed plenty of people, and can take a massive beating as part of a good workout, but it's my old mother that I'm worried about. I'd have no problem gutting something that was attacking my mother, but were not talking about a little yappy dog, giving her a little scratch. She's going to get pretty F'ed up or maybe die, as she's about 1/2 the size of this lady, who was attacked by her grandkids' Pit Bull...our case, it would be a stranger's Pit Bull, making it more volatile probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DemxKPgCI_Q

You sound like you're looking for an excuse. And your first statements are completely false.

MAN UP and stop soiling your pants.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I totally get that but if a bad situation can be avoided in spite of the owner then winner winner chicken dinner.

Sure, and if somerhing bad happens despite your magic, the owner has a valid case that you baited the dog to come onto your property. What could possibly go wrong ?

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    I hear what you're saying, that's a good point.

How about carrying a concealed and loaded gun on my own property w/o a permit? I am allowed to do so and all the way up to the where my front lawn touches the sidewalk, right?

Illegal discharge of a firearm if you shoot a dog. You would be arrested probably. Big news story when a dog is killed, less so pit bulls.
    A good lawyer could get you off. A weapon like an axe would kill the dog, but a gun puts you in trouble IMHO. Pepper spray is good I think

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    On time Email............ I ain't goin. :) Last time I was there was when I was with Buddy Holly. :D

As a valued SiriusXM listener, you and a guest are invited to see global superstar Pitbull LIVE at Harlem's world famous Apollo Theater in New York City. Dále!

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015, at Noon ET sharp, you can submit your request for a pair of tickets to this special show. But hurry, because these tickets will go fast.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Chopsky I want you to try something ( and no I'm not being a smartass) I've read all the post and I think you have legimate concerns but let's come at this from a different angle. Next time you go to Walmart get yourself a big box of the meaty bone dog treats. When the dogs charge the fence throw some over the fence and turn your back to the fence. Do this a few times and I will bet you and these dogs can live in peace. I've done a lot of rehab work with aggressive and abused dogs and more than likely with just a little work on your part you can fix this. And from what you've said about the dogs owners it doesn't sound like they will be much help. Another point that hasn't really been hit on in this thread much is if you did have to shoot one or both of these dogs for attacking you or your mom if they come over the fence ( which I wouldn't blame you) think of the shit storm that would ensue way past the point of the dog shooting. Hope it works out man. :thumbsup:

Is it ok to feed someone else's dog?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I feel like if you're not charged with something then the family will end up suing you.

Even IF he's charged the family will sue.

As a suggestion - when we got our rescue Pit, she charged our elderly dog a couple of times. The Animal Rescue worker recommended SPRAYSHIELD animal deterrent. It's what postal workers carry. It works - trust me. Arm your mother with a can. Arm yourself with a can. Aim for the eyes IF you need to use it.

Don't go looking for a fight. Trouble will find you easily enough. Just document and report, as others have counseled.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

As a suggestion - when we got our rescue Pit, she charged our elderly dog a couple of times. The Animal Rescue worker recommended SPRAYSHIELD animal deterrent. It's what postal workers carry. It works - trust me. Arm your mother with a can. Arm yourself with a can. Aim for the eyes IF you need to use it.

Don't go looking for a fight. Trouble will find you easily enough. Just document and report, as others have counseled.

If you shoot a home-invader, your homeowners insurance will at times have to defend you against civil action related to the shooting. Never looked into whether this applies to defending against an attack from a dangerous animal.

I don't worry much about the civil fallout from shooting an aggressive dog on my property. I worry more about the 'reckless endangerment' and other criminal charges of firing a gun in a residential neighborhood. The dimwit down in SMC who hunted his neighbors pitbull from his back porch did get off, but he now has an arrest record and lots of people really mad at him.

He was lucky in that the SMC animal control ordinance states:

(a) Any person may use any force necessary to defend against any dog(s) in the act of attacking a person.

His claim was that the dog attacked him and the states attorney could not disprove that claim. So while things sure look like he baited that dog and shot him from his porch, in the end he walked. He didn't even have to pay for his defense, the public defender got him off.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If you shoot a home-invader, your homeowners insurance will at times have to defend you against civil action related to the shooting. Never looked into whether this applies to defending against an attack from a dangerous animal.

I don't worry much about the civil fallout from shooting an aggressive dog on my property. I worry more about the 'reckless endangerment' and other criminal charges of firing a gun in a residential neighborhood. The dimwit down in SMC who hunted his neighbors pitbull from his back porch did get off, but he now has an arrest record and lots of people really mad at him.

Are you sure about your homeowner insurance? I'd hate to be wrong.

Insurance won't be able to save you from your new reputation as "that guy who shot the poor little dog" once the story gets retold a few times.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Insurance won't be able to save you from your new reputation as "that guy who shot the poor little dog" once the story gets retold a few times.

Exactly.

Otoh, if the alternative is to see one of your kids getting killed, sometimes you have to be willing to be a bit unpopular.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Defending life and limb against a vicious dog attack. I'll shoot, stomp , hit, spray etc..... To stop the attack.

As long as it isn't John wicks dog

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 189

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Tonight when I came home, my neighbors Bichon Yorkie mix was running loose in my yard and aggressively barked at me. I just laughed, which made him even more mad. Once I went in the side door, he went back to his turf and proclaimed victory in his own small mind. I'll miss the little rat when they move.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011

I totally agree. I carry in VA and WV when I go camping/hiking/offroading, but I know if I ever encounter a 4 legged creature my first course of action wont be to empty the gun into the animal. Theres usually other courses of action one can take without having to take the life of an animal away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom