• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I have a Mark I, but it’s getting old and much to difficult to maintain. I am looking for a 22LR pistol that I can plink with and target shoot for fun. I’d like it to be extremely accurate, because we can get quite competitive with each other at times.

I am looking at the Ruger line and I would like to keep the investment under $1000.00. I really like the look of the 22/45 Lite series, but I believe a longer barrel would be far more accurate. Do I need the Ruger Mark IV with a 10” barrel for supreme accuracy? For what it’s worth, we generally only shoot 50 yards or less, but that might change down the road.

Any input is helpful. Thank you!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Barrel length can influence accuracy with the sight radius, and less drop from higher velocity, but not "accuracy" in the mechanical sense, and a red dot will remove sight radius as a variable. My MK4 lite is easily my favorite 22 handgun, it's a wonderful suppressor host, add a VQ trigger and it's near perfection. The longer barreled models make shooting with irons a bit more precise, but they are slower and end up stupid long / unbalanced with a can. If your budget is around $1K, you are just about in VQ Scorpion/Mamba territory, can't ask for a better pistol.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Used high standard. Any model in the 105 or 107 frames.

Ruger did a few runs of very long barreled target mark ii and iii pistols over the years.

A used smith 41 might be achievable if you hunt.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My 5.5” MKIV 22/45 lite is far more accurate than I am at 50 yards. With careful resting on a bench/support, it’s close to rifle accuracy. And it is indeed a hoot with a suppressor.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My 5.5” MKIV 22/45 lite is far more accurate than I am at 50 yards. With careful resting on a bench/support, it’s close to rifle accuracy. And it is indeed a hoot with a suppressor.

Yes, it's stupid accurate, can plink 4" plates at 25 yards fast as you can pull the trigger. No idea what it's potential is, Best I can get is groups under 2" at 50 yards, but hard to really tell with a 4MOA dot on a lightweight handgun. Of course most Buckmarks and MK series Rugers are that good with decent ammo. I only feed mine CCI SVs, and it does well with them. Through the cans they are nice and quiet, the action being kinda enclosed in a tube seems to cut down on port pop and the bolt knocking around, quieter than a 10/22 or Buckmark action.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Ruger Mark IV

S&W Victory

Browning Buckmark

I would probably stay clear of anything else unless you want jam-o-matic.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Used high standard. Any model in the 105 or 107 frames.

Ruger did a few runs of very long barreled target mark ii and iii pistols over the years.

A used smith 41 might be achievable if you hunt.

-This. Stick with a military grip HS, which would be models 105-107. For sub $1000 you can pretty much find anything you'd like: Victor, Citation, Trophy. All will shoot better than you can. The exception to this is the 10X series of Victors and Citations. Those hand fitted models would fetch above $1k, even used.
    -You'd have to look hard for a Smith 41 to get one sub $1000 but they're out there. Found mine for around $700 but I'll be the first to admit that it was a crazy good price, very much outside the norm. Damned near fell out of my chair when I got it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You will get a plurality of recommendations for a Ruger variant .

My pick of current mfg is the Buckmark .

A sleeper not often mentioned are the ( discontinued ) S&W 622/ 422/ 2206/ 2204 . More accurate , better trigger, better sights out of the box than stock Rugers . Plus slimmer .

Generally - For these type of pistols , I generally prefer the +/- 6 inch bbls .

Due to the inherent design of purpose designed .22lr , and the usual position of chamber relative to grip , they are shorter than centerfire semiautomatic . A 6in M622 is same length as 5in 1911 , aka , not unwieldy to carry in the field , or around the range.

For those of us that shoot irons , longer sight radius . Plus 100- ish more FPS won't matter for pure paper punching , but better field shooting or hunting .

[ Will I get boo'ed if I mention Single Six , K-22 , or M18 ? ]

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The S&W 41 is about the best .22 pistol for affordable dollars but they’re getting into collector territory now…same with the High Standards which are awesome pistols. The Colt Woodsman Match Target is great but is also seeing stratospheric prices. Original magazines are expensive to source but the Beretta Neos magazine with slight modifications will work fine. The Woodsman series does have a cottage industry of sorts for parts and service advice even if the factory doesn’t supply it. The standard Woodsman are excellent as well as less expensive than the Match Target…as are the somewhat less expensive Targetsman, Huntsman and Challenger which are also models of the Woodsman with different sights, stocks and less finely polished finishes.

The Colt .22 Target Model of the early 2000s won’t set you back too much money…if you can find one. The problem is lack of spare parts if needed and no factory support anymore. The magazines for these interchange with the earlier Woodsman series…are less expensive and stainless steel.

Best bet if you can’t find a Smith 41 is a Browning or one of the better grade Rugers. At least they’re current production with factory support.

If you’ll consider a revolver…S&W makes and made some awesome .22 double actions as did Colt. The Colt Officers Model Match revolvers are superb for the purpose…a little larger and heavier than a comparable S&W but superb. I don’t believe…at least in my opinion…that Ruger or anyone else has match grade .22 DA revolvers that can touch what Smith and Colt produced.

Blazer

Oct 29, 2020
    Trailside 22lr

A used Trailside is an excellent choice, although I don't know what they are going for. It was made by Hammerli for SIG. Hammerli is now owned by Walther and it is still made and called the Xesse. I think Champions Choice has them for around $1000. I use it regularly in Bullseye competition.

I started with a Browning Buckmark Hunter, that I bought in the mid 1990's. While a fine pistol, it was problematic with different ammunition. I never found any that worked consistently.

If you have a 1911 I would recommend a Nelson Custom Conversion. It is extremely accurate, much more that I am capable of.

Last edited:

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Volquartsen makes some great options for a bit more money. Mamba is the mark iv equivalent and the Scorpion is the mark iii. Extremely accurate and reliable.
    Fun guns to shoot.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    The MKIV Target should meet your needs and the 22/45 version can be found at reasonable prices. I had two 22/45 Lite's (now one) and they were good but not as accurate as my Targets so I bought the Volquartsen LLV 6" upper and it is now the most accurate 22 I have. The Rugers are easy to field strip and clean. I really like my Browning Buck Mark UDX. It is a great shooter out of the box but is not a simple field strip like the MKIV. Last but not least is my S&W Performance Center Victory. Accurate and easy to field strip (with an Allen wrench). All are good shooters. The aftermarket support for the MKIV blows the others away. A Volquartsen Accurizing Kit or Pistol Competition Kit will improve the triggers the MKIV triggers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have 2 .22/45’s and a Mark I. If I get another rimfire semi pistol, it’ll be a High Standard or Buckmark.

I’d get the High Standard for my collection. I’d shoot the hell out of the Buckmark.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    A used Trailside is an excellent choice, although I don't know what they are going for. It was made by Hammerli for SIG. Hammerli is now owned by Walther and it is still made and called the Xesse. I think Champions Choice has them for around $1000. I use it regularly in Bullseye competition.

I started with a Browning Buckmark Hunter, that I bought in the mid 1990's. While a fine pistol, it was problematic with different ammunition. I never found any that worked consistently.

If you have a 1911 I would recommend a Nelson Custom Conversion. It is extremely accurate, much more that I am capable of.

I actually came here to recommend the Hammerli Xesse. New they are about $1,100. You can find them used for less than that. A Hammerli International can usually be had for about the same price.

These pistols are a whole different level than the Rugers and Buckmarks which are both great guns.

High Standard Victor can be had for less than $1,000 or you could get a Volquartsen for about $1,300. Although I haven't priced them in awhile.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You could get something like this. Not exactly a plinker but you'll always have the best groups at 50yds

Attachments

• 20210730_172226.jpg
      20210730_172226.jpg
      103.7 KB · Views: 209
    Last edited:

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I have a 107 High Standard Citation. I have shot a little over 50,000 rounds through it and still shoot it at league every week. You should only shoot standard velocity ammo in one to prevent frame cracks, and if you buy an old High Standard take along someone who knows how to look for cracks.
    If you like your Ruger, upgrade to a Mk4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom