• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Something like the above mentioned Hammerli or an IZH-35M. Like DontPanic says, real target pistols are a whole different plane of existance than a typ Ruger/Buckmark. The S&W 41 is about the only one that's close.

KiloTango

Mar 11, 2021
    The Ruger MK IV line has worked well for me. There are plenty of upgrade parts if you want to customize the appearance, feel, and function. Magazines are also reasonably priced and plentiful. I see many SASP Scholastic Action Shooting Program teams use the MK IV Lite. They are going for speed and accuracy much like Steel Challenge. A longer barrel can help if you are going after small groups, but I find there is a trade-off between the added weight of a longer barrel and target transition speed. I think any of the pistols aready mentioned can do well for you.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are you going 1 or 2 handed? gonna scope it? Red dot?

I can only speak to my personal experiance but wife has a 22/45 lite. I have a Buckmark Camper
    My buckmark has a longer barrel and is heavier.
    I really like the crisp buckmark trigger and one handed, I shoot it better.
    When I scoped the 2, just to look at accuracy, the 22/45 was better, but with it so light, It tends to be easier for me to move the gun when pulling the trigger so one handed, the buck mark wins.

When I red Dotted the Buckmark, It was badd ass with a bowling pin shoot I won about 5 years ago.

I had to mod the gen 3 22/45 to deal with the flaws in the slide lever spring design and I hear the Ruger mods are like Jeep mod availability vs the Buckmark has less.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    The S&W 41

The S&W 41 - Super accurate. Easy to takedown and clean. Makes you feel like a super shooter with cci standards. A little over 1k but worth it

Last edited:

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Also worth looking at the kraken from Tandemkross. You can order the lower and add any mark iv upper.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think the question whether the OP is going to be doing true bullseye-style shooting is pretty germane to this whole discussion. A 12" steel target at 50yds isn't really that big of an accuracy problem to solve, and I'd argue that ammo selection may even be a bigger factor than the gun at the price points we're talking about. Plenty of guys talk about rimfire accuracy, and then admit they're using cheap bulk ammo... your gun is only going to do so much, it's part of a system.

The Ruger MK guns are awesome for SASP and Steel Challenge because you can get the triggers quite excellent for practical accuracy (vs, say, olympic-sized groups) and the 10rd magazines are fine (no reloads on the clock). They're also "accurate enough" and very reliable. The fixed rail also makes it very easy to put on QD red dots so you can use the same gun in both irons and optics competition. (I am not a huge fan of their triggers out of the box because I don't think the reset is as short as I'd like, but they are easily upgraded.)

The TX-22 and P322 seem like a better bet for games where reloads are on the clock (if they're reliable). I was a little disappointed they went with the P365XL size for the P322 and not the P320 size for it, but perhaps we'll see more variants down the line.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    I have a Mark I, but it’s getting old and much to difficult to maintain. I am looking for a 22LR pistol that I can plink with and target shoot for fun. I’d like it to be extremely accurate, because we can get quite competitive with each other at times.

I am looking at the Ruger line and I would like to keep the investment under $1000.00. I really like the look of the 22/45 Lite series, but I believe a longer barrel would be far more accurate. Do I need the Ruger Mark IV with a 10” barrel for supreme accuracy? For what it’s worth, we generally only shoot 50 yards or less, but that might change down the road.

Any input is helpful. Thank you!

When you have a free weekend, message me and you can come down and try a few of our personal collection 22LR pistols. We have a browning buckmark, Ruger mk iv 22/45, and a few classic pistols (S&W model 41, browning challenger, colt match target, colt challenger and a hi-standard sport king). Most love the model 41; I’m starting to favor the browning challenger.

You’re just up the road from us (we’re in Hollywood) so it’s not to far of a trip.

Attachments

• 2A5D4A07-5487-4128-A057-09A0FE99658F.jpg
      2A5D4A07-5487-4128-A057-09A0FE99658F.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 216

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    I've had or still have a love/hate relationship with my Victor that I've been shooting since the mid 70's...very accurate, nice trigger but jams. Recently I purchased a tool to ensure perfect alignment of the mag lips (supposed to help or stop the jamming) as the pistol does not have a traditional feed ramp if I recall correctly. I used to think it jammed because of cheap ammo (Thunderbolt, white box) but I will be tackling the mags first, although it could be a combination of ammo and mags misaligned. Always wanted the 41, I even have the 41 pellet pistol that I used to shoot in the laundry room into a trap my dad made, even shot fletchs into a dartboard. Current plinker is a Buckmark, no jams, screw on a can for quiet, and more than enough accuracy for casual shooting. Would not recommend a Colt Ace, although reliable, its accuracy for me is not as good as the Buckmark. It is a good trainer for a 45 though which is the reason I have. Head over to Rimfire Central, a lot of good info over there as well.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I have a SW 41 Performance center in the case with 3 Mags. As new with less than a 100rds thru it. I am moving and selling off some stuff so I would let it go for 1K firm if interested, PM me and I can send pix.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    When you have a free weekend, message me and you can come down and try a few of our personal collection 22LR pistols. We have a browning buckmark, Ruger mk iv 22/45, and a few classic pistols (S&W model 41, browning challenger, colt match target, colt challenger and a hi-standard sport king). Most love the model 41; I’m starting to favor the browning challenger.

You’re just up the road from us (we’re in Hollywood) so it’s not to far of a trip.

That is very kind of you, thank you!

That is an awesome collection. I am not sure why I wasn’t interested in rimfire many, many years ago. I’m late to the party :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've had or still have a love/hate relationship with my Victor that I've been shooting since the mid 70's...very accurate, nice trigger but jams. Recently I purchased a tool to ensure perfect alignment of the mag lips (supposed to help or stop the jamming) as the pistol does not have a traditional feed ramp if I recall correctly. I used to think it jammed because of cheap ammo (Thunderbolt, white box) but I will be tackling the mags first, although it could be a combination of ammo and mags misaligned. Always wanted the 41, I even have the 41 pellet pistol that I used to shoot in the laundry room into a trap my dad made, even shot fletchs into a dartboard. Current plinker is a Buckmark, no jams, screw on a can for quiet, and more than enough accuracy for casual shooting. Would not recommend a Colt Ace, although reliable, its accuracy for me is not as good as the Buckmark. It is a good trainer for a 45 though which is the reason I have. Head over to Rimfire Central, a lot of good info over there as well.

High Standards are sensitive to mag feed lip issues. Best to use OEM mags as they seem to have stronger feed lips, less likely to bend outwards. And yes, that $40 tool is handy in bringing the lips back to proper shape.
    I have the S&W 78/79G air pistol too. If you love the 41 then the 78/79G series is worth acquiring.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I am now in the game. I found this Mark III Hunter locally, brand new. I probably overpaid for it, but I just had to have it.

Attachments

• B596FA94-C27B-49C8-85F9-1DE2254AE328.jpg
      B596FA94-C27B-49C8-85F9-1DE2254AE328.jpg
      138.4 KB · Views: 170

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    I am now in the game. I found this Mark III Hunter locally, brand new. I probably overpaid for it, but I just had to have it.

very nice!!!!! now get a total of 5 mags for it, grab your .22 rifle with 5 mags and join us at sanner's lake (in lexington park) on the last sunday of every month (march-october) for our rimfire steel match. great way to test out that new purchase shooting steel targets. PM me is you want the details.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    Congrats that’s a beautiful gun in stainless!

I have a Mark II Govt Target Model they are great guns you will enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom