Looking for entry level "long range" rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Narrowed it down to:

Savage 110 Tactical or 110 Magpul Hunter

Ruger Precision for the right price

Bergara B14 HMR

Tikka T3x CTR

Leaning heavily towards the Bergara. Was about to post a WTB for one in classifieds but I figured I'd make a thread first.

Mostly just looking to find something to shoot a few hundred yards and punch paper for fun. It's not a type of shooting I've done before so I'm interested in trying something different.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Narrowed it down to:

Bergara B14 HMR

Tikka T3x CTR

Leaning heavily towards the Bergara. Was about to post a WTB for one in classifieds but I figured I'd make a thread first.

Mostly just looking to find something to shoot a few hundred yards and punch paper for fun. It's not a type of shooting I've done before so I'm interested in trying something different.
    All 4 are fine options. Careful, this is probably the start of a very expensive and addicting hobby.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Narrowed it down to:

Bergara B14 HMR

Tikka T3x CTR

I strongly recommend the tikka off your option list. Owned many sako products and never had a bad one. Seen a lot come through classes and they are usually shooters.

I strongly discourage the ruger and the savages. Seen rugers break in matches and classes. Savages are easy to work on and often shoot well out of the box but their barrels tens to have heavy cut marks in them (I've owned a couple and scoped a lot more). This results in lower velocity and more fouling. You can buy just a savage action and drop a better barrel in it very easily.

The bergara is a good rifle. I've shot a lot of them and seen plenty more in use during classes. They had some bolt issues that are supposedly corrected. I don't care for the HMR stock so that's probably the main reason I dislike them. The 17 series in chassis were great. The 14 series seems to be what they offer now. The bergara will almost certainly have a better finish inside the bore than the savages and the ruger.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The Tikka makes this decision easy. The tough question is what caliber, and optic. Might as well open this discussion up to that was well.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    The Tikka makes this decision easy. The tough question is what caliber, and optic. Might as well open this discussion up to that was well.

Happy to take suggestions. I'm thinking 308. I read somewhere 6.5 CM is overkill unless you're consistently shooting at 1000 yards. Haven't really considered anything else.

As for optics, there's a ton I've seen recommended that I've yet to research.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Something about a 308 tikka......you know that!

I love mine so much it's glass smooth from blasting the sako barrel and getting close to 2k rounds on the current Krieger.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Happy to take suggestions. I'm thinking 308. I read somewhere 6.5 CM is overkill unless you're consistently shooting at 1000 yards. Haven't really considered anything else.

As for optics, there's a ton I've seen recommended that I've yet to research.
    How far are you shooting and do you plan to also get into reloading? There isn’t a ton of difference between those two unless you shoot past 600 yards, then the 6.5 makes more sense. What’s your budget for optics? I get all of my advice from 4g64 so I recommend putting all of the details out here and waiting for his sage advice.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    How far are you shooting and do you plan to also get into reloading? There isn’t a ton of difference between those two unless you shoot past 600 yards, then the 6.5 makes more sense. What’s your budget for optics? I get all of my advice from 4g64 so I recommend putting all of the details out here and waiting for his sage advice.
    Flattery won't get you anywhere you couldn't already go.

And I now get all my loading trays made by russ d. He makes them to exact size, even for the odd stuff I like. Shameless sales plug.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thanks!

So simple, so easy to clean…

The only appeal ARs have is that someone doesn’t want me to have it!
    Hahaha. I'm a bolt gun junkie.

Did a 223 Zermatt Origin for my buddy to shoot in Tactical division. Currently working him through the process of advanced handloading and building his consistency. He's managed to get strings into the twenties (extreme spread) but they aren't all there yet. Takes time to develop consistency. Even with factory sig 77gr it's a half inch rifle.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    100 yards is all I have access to. But even scoped, that’s out there.

When I was 17, 400yds with iron on an M16 seemed OK! :D
    One of the guys is driving 90 bergers to a grand like a champ.

My buddy's 77RDFs get there but the wind plays hell on them if it's switching back and forth.

For closer range, go with a traditional 12 twist and drive 40s hard. My last 12 twist barrel 223 would run 40s over 3800 without pressure signs (26" barrel). Absolutely a blast to shoot. And it would knock the snot out of groundhogs. A lot of people prefer 50-55gr bullets but I just had better luck with the 40s. In my 22-250ai barrels, the 40s are even more impressive. Think 4300-4450, depending on the individual barrel.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OP if you're looking to just shoot a few hundred yards I would say you can get by with much less than any of the rifles you've listed. A decent bolt action rifle will get you out to 200-300 yards without an issue. If you want to shoot out beyond 500 to 1000+ yards then any of the ones you've listed should do just fine.
    I run an RPR in .308 and have taken it out to 1,200 yards. I've thought about switching to 6.5 CM but I don't get out to shoot long range enough so I'll probably just leave it alone. It shoots very well with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo out of the box.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    For a few hundred yards, definitely buy a .223. Cheap to shoot, a ton of good available ammo and zero recoil to speak of. No reason to burn a lot of powder throwing a huge hunk of lead.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    OMG - this can be a real rabbit hole if you aren't careful.

My "budget build" for an accurate varmint rifle started off in conception as a Ruger American Predator topped with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical.

After discussing this with 4g64, I took a different and considerably more expensive route:

Bighorn Origin Action
    26" Shilen match barrel, varmint profile
    Triggertech Primary trigger
    KRG Bravo Chassis
    Arken EP5 Scope

This is just the beginning though - although the action and barrel are more than fine, everything else on the list could be upgraded, particularly the scope. The trigger and chassis are good, but there are some better (albeit more expensive) options out there.

Ultimately it comes down to budget; what are you willing to spend and how good do you want it to be?

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    OMG - this can be a real rabbit hole if you aren't careful.

My "budget build" for an accurate varmint rifle started off in conception as a Ruger American Predator topped with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical.

After discussing this with 4g64, I took a different and considerably more expensive route:

Bighorn Origin Action
    26" Shilen match barrel, varmint profile
    Triggertech Primary trigger
    KRG Bravo Chassis
    Arken EP5 Scope

This is just the beginning though - although the action and barrel are more than fine, everything else on the list could be upgraded, particularly the scope. The trigger and chassis are good, but there are some better (albeit more expensive) options out there.

Ultimately it comes down to budget; what are you willing to spend and how good do you want it to be?

I heard something similar and I was actually looking at some of the custom options and including that exact same chasis earlier tonight, but I'm still considering which way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom