• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    I've been eyeing up some 1911's for a while and now what to go ahead and get one. I'm looking at getting a carry style 4", anyone know where to find any Dan Wesson products? I've also been checking out Springfield and just recently went in to my favorite shop and handled a Sig Nightmare in a 4" and it was damn awesome. This is my first 1911 and want something nice, does any of these stand out to anyone being good or bad or any other recommendations? Thanks!!!

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    Is it any advantage to carry full size? Or what is the advantage of full size?

Right now I have a Springfield xd45 and a Glock 17 9mm but really wanted to carry and take training with the 1911.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i was looking at a dan wesson guardian online for a friend but i dont think theyre on the roster. fullsize is not the easiest to carry but it is the easiest and most reliable of the 1911s

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I've been eyeing up some 1911's for a while and now what to go ahead and get one. I'm looking at getting a carry style 4", anyone know where to find any Dan Wesson products? I've also been checking out Springfield and just recently went in to my favorite shop and handled a Sig Nightmare in a 4" and it was damn awesome. This is my first 1911 and want something nice, does any of these stand out to anyone being good or bad or any other recommendations? Thanks!!!

Do you have a CC in MD? My next purchase is a 1911 too. I plan to get a Colt, specifically the Gold Cup Trophy.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Full size 1911's don't seem to have the timing issues associated with short barreled smaller versions, although a Commander size seems pretty reliable. Commander has a 4.25" barrel.

I have a full size Dan Wesson Heritage and a Delta Elite in 10mm (on the roster) and they conceal fine to me. I'm a fairly large guy however. 6'1" 200 lbs.

IMO the main difference between carry guns is grip length, weight and barrel length. I'm a big guy so weight isn't a big factor either. Since the barrel is shoved down your pants if IWB, that's not a huge issue to me. Weight and perhaps grip length could also be factors but a Commander size 1911 has the same size grip as a full size. So that's not a factor IMO.Some forward cant in the holster fixes that IMO.

So I'd look at a 4.25" or 5 " 1911 if you intend to carry it. Stay away from the 3-3.5" models. Too finicky IMO.

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    Yeah I think the Sig nightmare is a 4 1/4 and it felt really sweet.

I was looking at a Colt then was told by a few people for what you get the money is better spent in a Sig or S&W because you get alot more for your money. I was also looking at Kimber, my buddy has one an loves it got it about 8 years or so ago. People also told me that in the past 5 or so years the quality control has really gone down the crapper! Not sure if this is true or not but that's what put my on the DW, Springfield and Sig kick.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Yeah I think the Sig nightmare is a 4 1/4 and it felt really sweet.

I was looking at a Colt then was told by a few people for what you get the money is better spent in a Sig or S&W because you get alot more for your money. I was also looking at Kimber, my buddy has one an loves it got it about 8 years or so ago. People also told me that in the past 5 or so years the quality control has really gone down the crapper! Not sure if this is true or not but that's what put my on the DW, Springfield and Sig kick.

There is something desirable about having a Colt 1911 to me instead of a clone. I do not feel as strong when it comes to AR clones though.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My experience with my Colt Deltas have been fine. I have 3 and all have shot perfectly out of the box as did the DW.

Kimber gets a bad rap but I had a Custom TLE/RL II and it was perfect as well. Maybe I was lucky but I have had no issues with any of the ones I mentioned. Sigs are nice as well of course.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Whoa, just a minute. Y'all forgot to check the rules. JMB Guild, 1911 Society and MDS SOP.

First 1911A1 purchased must be a Standard 5" Barrel, FS preferable a GI Model. 45 ACP. No 38 Super, 9mm, 9mm Largo and for gawdsakes, no damn 40 Short snd Wimpy.

You're also must shoot only 230Gr Ball for the first 1,911 rounds.

Only holsters allowed are the M1911 Hip or M7 Shoulder.

Also, you must make a pilgamage to Ogden, UT and render honors to JMB before the first anniversary of you taking possession of your 1911.

Then you may consider a Commander or Officers Model.

:lol2:

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Whoa, just a minute. Y'all forgot to check the rules. JMB Guild, 1911 Society and MDS SOP.

First 1911A1 purchased must be a Standard 5" Barrel, FS preferable a GI Model. 45 ACP. No 38 Super, 9mm, 9mm Largo and for gawdsakes, no damn 40 Short snd Wimpy.

You're also must shoot only 230Gr Ball for the first 1,911 rounds.

Only holsters allowed are the M1911 Hip or M7 Shoulder.

Also, you must make a pilgamage to Ogden, UT and render honors to JMB before the first anniversary of you taking possession of your 1911.

Then you may consider a Commander or Officers Model.

:lol2:

There's Huck!

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    My personal favorite 1911-pattern pistol right now is, surprisingly, the Para GI Expert. Incredible value, great mix of traditional and modern design features. Shoots like a pistol twice the price, if you give it good mags.*

For carry, if you're serious about smaller frame, I think Kimber is the way to go. They're pricey but the service and support is great if there are issues with the operation.

Hard to go wrong with Springfield, from the base-model GI on up to the TRP, Operator, or Professional (FBI Contract pistol). I think you would get equal enjoyment from an "original" Colt 1911 at similar price points.

High-end custom, I have shot a smattering and while I don't own any myself, would put the money into Les Baer. Good mix of show and go. Some customs look great, but don't perform. Personally, I prefer a looser 1911 to the ultra-tight customs (although I do appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them!).

*Magazines, in my opinion, are a top if not the top reason for 1911 issues. Start off with a handful of good ones and treat them right.

**Let me suggest spending an additional $15 for a tube of Slide-Glide Lite. Best firearms lubricant I've found, was made for competition with 1911s and Glocks.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i think bobtails are cool if your considering carrying. it will remove the largest part of printing. dan wessons are great and so are smith and wessons. i love my kimber but they are slightly hit and miss (ther are ways to explain why they get a worse rep then they should but im keeping it simple.) sigs, springers, and colts, you cant really go wrong with any of them. taurus and rias are good budget guns. there are to many brands to name but you get the gist. obviously the big four (ed brown, les baer, wilson. nighthawk) are fantastic guns but they are pricey.

BigW

Tactical Geek
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bowie, MD
    I've been looking at 1911s also. I've handled a bunch but have only fired 2. A Kimber full-size (don't remember model) and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch.

The Kimber was nice and for the ~100 rounds I shot though it worked flawlessly. BUT, let me tell you, my friends Les Baer was amazing, I was a believer after the first magazine. It comes with a premium, but the finish and function was unbelievable. Bottom line: I'm saving up for a Les Baer.

Of course, all this is IMHO... I am no 1911 expert, FAR from it, just thought I'd share my experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom