• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I bought mine from C-J at 1911 heaven 208-772-2339 he will more than likely have one in stock at a great price.

Even if he doesn't have any in stock, he may have several on order that aren't spoken for. The OP may be able to get one in four months rather than 12+.

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    Anyone have a line on the DW's? Seem like they are hard to come by. I guess most importantly could I get a DW or LB for $1500.00-$1800.00? Or what would be a nice gun for the money in that price range. If I save some money that is always okay as long as I get a great quality gun. Like I said before I was impressed by the Sig nightmare and that was under 1k. I'd like to have a out of the box really nice shooter and because of possible carry I need it to be reliable.
    I just bought a Kimber Ultra CDP II. 3.5 inch barrel, aluminum frame. It's lightweight for a .45 ACP and more accurate than I am. (I'm getting better though.)

The lack of weight, and small grip, makes recoil an issue. But it's well made, worked flawlessly OOTB and has had no issues with 500 rounds downrange.

However.

I keep it clean, and am aware that, eventually, the recoil spring will need replacing if I want it to continue to function reliably. People who talk about reliability seem to think proper maintenance isn't something you need be concerned about.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Are you saying he's a demon? ;)

No, just don't cut oneself short on the experience of JMB's Godsent design. If later he wants to venture into the world beyond a gubment model (full sized), he can do so, as I have a few years ago with Combat Commander (4.25").

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    So are you saying I should go full size? I'd like to use this for a carry piece and god knows when the next time I can get 2k together for another one. I'm up in the air about the 4.25 or full size, of coarse I'd love to have both but like I said I don't have the money for both lol! I may just go with the full size as I hear alot of people still carry with the full size. Does anyone or know someone who Carey's a full size and is comfortable and useable to the max?

I also want to say thanks for everyone who has made suggestions and posted everything they had!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I carry a full size DW or a Colt Delta Elite IWB in either a Supertuck or a Milt Spraks Versa Max II. No problems if you dress around the gun. (ie larger pants and shirts. And a real gun belt (Beltman, A & G etc.)

The only difference between the full size and Commander is a very slight reduction in weight and .75 inches of barrel length, which is shoved into your pants so it's not an issue IMO.

It should be a matter of what feels better and you shoot the best. Personally I like full size 1911's. But YMMV.

Hope you love whatever you decide. A firearm is a very personal thing, like golf clubs or a bowling ball.

:D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So are you saying I should go full size? I'd like to use this for a carry piece and god knows when the next time I can get 2k together for another one. I'm up in the air about the 4.25 or full size, of coarse I'd love to have both but like I said I don't have the money for both lol! I may just go with the full size as I hear alot of people still carry with the full size. Does anyone or know someone who Carey's a full size and is comfortable and useable to the max?

I also want to say thanks for everyone who has made suggestions and posted everything they had!

How comfortably you carry a gun depends on alot of things. Body Size/Weight/Build, etc...

A GOOD Gun Belt and Holster makes the biggest difference in making a large gun vanish to the public, and be comfortable for the carrier.

I carry a USP45 almost daily. Its a MUCH larger gun than a Fullsize 1911. Im 5'10", 200 Pounds with a decent build. Unless I show people directly they never know I have a gun, et alone such a large one.

If you were one of my customers and were DEAD SET on a Midsize or Compact 1911, then I would only suggest you get one from Baer, Wilson, Brown, or Nighthawk. 1911's in smaller configurations other than fullsize have issues. Buying a top tier 1911 thats in a small configuration from the Manufacturers above means you will minimize the likleyhood of seeing problems/reliability issues.

IMO, If you can only afford ONE good 1911, then get a Fullsize. Get some Wilson Mags, a GOOD Gun Belt, and NICE Leather and enjoy carrying your fullsize 1911.

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    I've been watching a les Baer on GB for the one I was looking at 5" custom carry SS, the bid is almost up to $1650.00. This is a used gun with a small blemish on it, for a bit more I can get a new one. Now the next big question is blued or stainless? Is it any advantage to one or the other besides maybe the rust factor? And like said before as long as you maintain it I don't thin you'd have to worry about it anyway. The difference in price between the blued and SS is only $45.00? The only reason I'm leaning toward the SS is that all the other pieces I have are already black or tactical looking.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've been watching a les Baer on GB for the one I was looking at 5" custom carry SS, the bid is almost up to $1650.00. This is a used gun with a small blemish on it, for a bit more I can get a new one. Now the next big question is blued or stainless? Is it any advantage to one or the other besides maybe the rust factor? And like said before as long as you maintain it I don't thin you'd have to worry about it anyway. The difference in price between the blued and SS is only $45.00? The only reason I'm leaning toward the SS is that all the other pieces I have are already black or tactical looking.

Stainless steel will still rust, but if it does rust it is easier to fix/ remove the damage on a stainless steel firearm than a blued or painted one. Blued guns will rust more rapidly but are almost impossible to fix rust or blemishes without a refinish. Blued or painted guns will show wear more.

Maintenance is only a minor factor with wear and rust. Your body chemistry can be very corrosive or not. Carrying a gun for the day can cause rust to occur. The Holster Material, Gun finish, the Protectant/Oil you use, and your Body Chemistry all effect rust and wear.

A Non Stainless gun will likely stay tighter with ise than a stainless.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    There is a reason that Les Baer will not built a 1.5" gun from, stainless . They can not hold the tight Torrences as good as a carbon steel (blue) frame and slide. Stanless is soft and will gauld.
    If you like the stainless look go for the hard chrome option I did on one and I am very happy with it.
    Gun stainless will hold a magnet so it will rust.

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    So blue=better performance and longevity? I was set on the SS but thinking of the blued one now! I don't know if my line to a LB has a hard chrome, he only has 1 blued and 1 SS in stock in both customer carry 5" and 4.25. I've came along way since the beginning go the tread. I now know I want a LB in a 5" and know most likely the blued.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    So blue=better performance and longevity? I was set on the SS but thinking of the blued one now! I don't know if my line to a LB has a hard chrome, he only has 1 blued and 1 SS in stock in both customer carry 5" and 4.25. I've came along way since the beginning go the tread. I now know I want a LB in a 5" and know most likely the blued.

have you contacted C-J ? you can get a blue gun and send it to metoloy your self and have it hard chromed it is as good or better that Baers hard chroming that they send out anyway to someone.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Like you said you don't run into 2K every other day take you time and think of what you want they will make it your way. do some research and handle a few and then start your want list . finish,front serrations or not, solid trigger or one with holes, adj sights or not, 1.5 " gun or a 3" gun both at 50 yds ,tactical rounding the list goes on. It will be your build. TAKE YOUR TIME !!!!!!!

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    O.P. Unless you are planing to be a pro/competition shooter, you do not need to spend too much money. If you have plenty of dough, go for bob-tailed Ed Brown's guns. Otherwise for your first 1911 gun buy stainless Colt Commander XSE. You get the "original" brand, 4.25 barrel that you want, all the options pre-installed and you stay within $1.2k.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    O.P. Unless you are planing to be a pro/competition shooter, you do not need to spend too much money. If you have plenty of dough, go for bob-tailed Ed Brown's guns. Otherwise for your first 1911 gun buy stainless Colt Commander XSE. You get the "original" brand, 4.25 barrel that you want, all the options pre-installed and you stay within $1.2k.

To compare the colt xse to a baer is like comparing apples to potatoes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom