• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    Anyone have a line on the DW's? Seem like they are hard to come by. I guess most importantly could I get a DW or LB for $1500.00-$1800.00? Or what would be a nice gun for the money in that price range. If I save some money that is always okay as long as I get a great quality gun. Like I said before I was impressed by the Sig nightmare and that was under 1k. I'd like to have a out of the box really nice shooter and because of possible carry I need it to be reliable.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I bought my DW Herritage NIB on Gunbroker for about $1100.00 from Osage County Guns.

I thought it was a fair price considering I paid a similar price for my Kimber and it's a DW, albeit a more no frills model. Shoots great BTW.

I love mine

BigW

Tactical Geek
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bowie, MD
    I'm pretty sure you could find a LB in that price range... I believe the MSRP on a new LB Thunder Ranch direct from LB is ~$1900. Of course, $1900 is sorta entry-level for LB

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    What do you plan to use the pistol for ? For target shooting, open carry, I think a full size (Government) is the way to go. Im a big fan of adjustable sights for a target 1911, especially if you handload. If your looking for a CC weapon then the full size may a bit big.

I purchased one of those brand 1911 that starts with a "K", that alot seem to hate. I almost did not buy one with all the hoopla talk that floats on the web. Im 100 % glad I bought it, have been extremely pleased in both reliability, and the way it shoots, quite an accurate pistol. Im at over 4500 rounds out of the pistol without a single FTF, stove pipe or jam.I have no even changed the recoil sprig that is recommended to be replaced at 1500 rounds. Depending on where and whom Im shooting with at the range, I generally average 300 rounds, and have done 400 rounds per range session, without jam issues-without cleaning at the range. I DO field strip, and clean and lube after every range trip. Like any brand gun, you can get a bad one- but even high end guns can have problems. I think a thing to look for, is who will take care of any issues should they arise.

If you shoot at a range that rents guns, it might not be a bad idea to try out a few models, and see what you like. Or if you shoot with other people who shoot 1911's, ask to shoot theirs.

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    What do you plan to use the pistol for ? For target shooting, open carry, I think a full size (Government) is the way to go. Im a big fan of adjustable sights for a target 1911, especially if you handload. If your looking for a CC weapon then the full size may a bit big.

I plan to CC and also take traing classes and target shoot with it. I'm not a handloader either.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Engage has those two Colts posted.

LWC in 38 Super would be a sweet for shooting and ccw, channel you inner Melvin Purvis, G-Man.

Also that is a nice price on that Government model.

Something to consider if you want a 1911.

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    Yeah I seen that govt model and considered it. The price is nice! I'm new to the 1911 world, who is the govt model, does it have any bells and whistles or is it a bare bone gun? I just figured the DW would be a nice gun.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yeah I seen that govt model and considered it. The price is nice! I'm new to the 1911 world, who is the govt model, does it have any bells and whistles or is it a bare bone gun? I just figured the DW would be a nice gun.

The "Government" model was the commercial 1911 produced by the Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company (now Colt Manufacturing Company), and considered the true "original" configuration. Blued finish with polished flats, matte round surfaces. 5" standard slide/barrel, fixed iron sights (some have dots). As with any pistol the roll marks/grips/sights/materials have changed over time but the basic design is pretty much always the same. This is the "gold standard" model that most others are built on or copied from. It is the full size as originally designed by JMB and adopted by the various branches of the U.S. military. Later the "Officer's" (compact) and "Commander" (midsize) models were developed. This is also known as the O-series Colt pistol.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    if the Les Baer is in your price range go for it you won't be sorry . I know I have both Colts and bears . The bears are much better out of the box not even close.
    You can get a deal on a bear better than the list price on there web sight. check out the Premier II .

THEKOONTZ

Mar 2, 2012
    Pasadena/Glen Burnie
    Well after reading peoples post on here and other postings, I'm now trying to locate a Les Baer custom carry or the 4.25 model. I dont think I can go wrong with one of those, now I just need to find someone who has them for sale. I have a couple line on a few just got to see if it will pan out...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well after reading peoples post on here and other postings, I'm now trying to locate a Les Baer custom carry or the 4.25 model. I dont think I can go wrong with one of those, now I just need to find someone who has them for sale. I have a couple line on a few just got to see if it will pan out...

Atlantic may have some Baers if you are wanting to lok at them in person.

Most shops local shops can order a Baer for you.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore

My wallet hurts and my mouth is watering looking through his inventory.. and I'm not even a big-time 1911 guy! And all those high-end guns come with matched magazines. You don't just buy a great gun, it's a complete system, and that is something I like.

"..6-8 month back log I doubt any dealers will have stock"

SS Custom Carry w/ Trijis, <$2K NIB.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/95514597...r_Custom_Carry_SS_1911_Trijicon_45_acp_NE.htm

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Did you look on Gunbroker, or other sites like Grab a Gun? I found my DW on line that way.

You aren't limited to buying in MD.

BigW

Tactical Geek
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bowie, MD
    My wallet hurts and my mouth is watering looking through his inventory.. and I'm not even a big-time 1911 guy! And all those high-end guns come with matched magazines. You don't just buy a great gun, it's a complete system, and that is something I like.

DITTO :drool:

BigW

Tactical Geek
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bowie, MD
    Did you look on Gunbroker, or other sites like Grab a Gun? I found my DW on line that way.

You aren't limited to buying in MD.

I saw a couple of Baer's in Gunbroker yesterday... I stopped browsing before I did, what my wife would call, "something stupid".... I'd call it a sound investment in never-ending fun!:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom