• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    I have some Core 15's that you might like?? Maybe a Stag Arms model 3?? Drop me a line... We will be set up at Gettysburg this weekend where you can put your hands on a few different AR's.. AND some 30 round mags!!

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    Thanks for all of the replies... Sent out some PMs.

What do you guys think about the M&P 15-22? Am I just wasting my time still contemplating a .22 AR style rifle?

I keep looking through the Official AR-15 Picture thread and they all look awesome....

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    A .22 won't suit your needs as you described them. .22's are good rifles for certain purposes like hunting small game like squirrel, rabbit, etc. They're also great for plinking at the range. They're a lot of fun to shoot and you can get about 47,000 rounds of ammo for around $1.35.

In the right hands a .22 can also be quite lethal to a human, but a battle rifle it is not.

What you're looking for is a SHTF, protect the family and the homestead battle rifle. Something that will penetrate cover and do significant damage to whoever it hits. For that you need a higher caliber.

That's my 2 cents at least.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Get a barrel stamped for 5.56 NATO which will also allow you to fire 223 rem with no problems. It's not recommended to get a barrel stamped .223 and try to fire 5.56. The first choice gives you more choices in ammo variety. Personally I like COLT., I have HBar 6721 and love it. If money is no problem LWRC would be my other choice. I would also recommended checking out industry partner Thunderstick Enterprises. I was in there Monday picking up my Ruger American and they stated there may be an upcoming special or S&W MP-15 sporters or similar model.

http://www.thunderstickenterprisesonline.com/

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    What do you guys think about the M&P 15-22? ....

It's a fine rifle if what you're looking for is a range toy - especially an indoor range toy. It's light, shoots really cheap ammo and had a low recoil. What is not to love?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It's a fine rifle if what you're looking for is a range toy - especially an indoor range toy. It's light, shoots really cheap ammo and had a low recoil. What is not to love?

I'll be a dissenting voice, the 15-22 doesn't do anything better than a Ruger 10/22 except look tactical. A real mil spec AR is much more.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I'll be a dissenting voice, the 15-22 doesn't do anything better than a Ruger 10/22 except look tactical. A real mil spec AR is much more.

15-22 comes with better sights, a free floated barrel, higher capacity magazines, and it's stock can adjust to a wide variety of shooters and shooting stances.. It can mount tactical toys and is optic ready right out of the box.

And yes it has a MUCH higher CDI factor.

All of which adds up to" MORE FUN" - and who doesn't want "MORE FUN" (tm)?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    15-22 comes with better sights, a free floated barrel, and higher capacity magazines. It can mount tactical toys and is optic ready right out of the box.

And yes it has a MUCH higher CDI factor.

All of which adds up to" MORE FUN" - and who doesn't want "MORE FUN" (tm)?

Then buy both, but that .22 will never be the same as a true 5.56 AR15. As more of a traditional shooter I just don't get the .22 replica thing that's going on now and why people would fork over so much cash for just another .22 that at best will only live up to the standards set by models like the 10/22, the Marlin 60 for double the money.

Just remember, the 15-22 is not a tactical rifle, it only looks like one.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    , but that .22 will never be the same as a true 5.56 AR15.
    Nobody expects it to be the same.

It is not a defensive arm, and it's hunting is limited to squirrels and rabbits. But for someone who just wants to shoot on an indoor range it's perfect.

I just don't get the .22 replica thing that's going on now and why people would fork over so much cash for just another .22 that at best will only live up to the standards set by models like the 10/22, the Marlin 60 for double the money.
    Because the .22 clone is cheaper, and they get to play with something that feels/operates just like the more expensive "full caliber" option. They are fun (who doesn't like a .22LR?) and extreamly cheap to shoot. Not only that but they can be shot at ANY indoor range (and I have been to ranges where you are limited to .22LR).

I just wish my M261 was as accurate as these .22 variants.

Just remember, the 15-22 is not a tactical rifle, it only looks like one.
    That is correct, but if all you're doing is punching paper at an indoor range do you need to spend all that extra dough on ammo.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Nobody expects it to be the same.

It is not a defensive arm, and it's hunting is limited to squirrels and rabbits. But for someone who just wants to shoot on an indoor range it's perfect.

Because the .22 clone is cheaper, and they get to play with something that feels/operates just like the more expensive "full caliber" option. They are fun (who doesn't like a .22LR?) and extreamly cheap to shoot. Not only that but they can be shot at ANY indoor range (and I have been to ranges where you are limited to .22LR).

I just wish my M261 was as accurate as these .22 variants.

That is correct, but if all you're doing is punching paper at an indoor range do you need to spend all that extra dough on ammo.

10/22 in one of the tactical style stocks would be just as or more accurate than a 15-22. Even more so if the barrel were upgraded which this is one of the few guns that anyone can do so themselves with limited tools.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    This is the one I would go with for an out of the box .22 tactical style.

Attachments

• image-2749214424.jpg
      image-2749214424.jpg
      35.6 KB · Views: 98

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    Palmetto State Armory had a 16" M4 rifle with an Magpul mbus flip up sight and Aimpoint PRO optic for $999, I don't currently see that on their website but with the holidays coming up I would think those guys would do something similar again.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Palmetto State Armory had a 16" M4 rifle with an Magpul mbus flip up sight and Aimpoint PRO optic for $999, I don't currently see that on their website but with the holidays coming up I would think those guys would do something similar again.

Now that would be a good buy, the PRO retails around $400 alone.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    10/22 in one of the tactical style stocks would be just as or more accurate than a 15-22. Even more so if the barrel were upgraded which this is one of the few guns that anyone can do so themselves with limited tools.

Granted, start spending more money and you can do even better. But we're talking out of the box - a base 10/22 and that stock will set you back as much as the MP 10-22 but not have the sights or the right feel.

Sure it looks similar to an AR, but the magazine release is not the same, nor is loading the magazine the same.

Another advantage of the MP-22 is you use the same manual of arms for the -22 as you would for the full power AR, making it a great training tool.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Granted, start spending more money and you can do even better. But we're talking out of the box - a base 10/22 and that stock will set you back as much as the MP 10-22 but not have the sights or the right feel.

Sure it looks similar to an AR, but the magazine release is not the same, nor is loading the magazine the same.

Another advantage of the MP-22 is you use the same manual of arms for the -22 as you would for the full power AR, making it a great training tool.

Nope, but the advantage the Ruger holds is that once you've moved on to the 5.56 you still have the 10/22 guts to build any type of .22 you desire. With the 15-22 you only have the single format forever. I know it's all splitting hairs and both guns are good and we both obviously have 5.56's and .22's, the OP needs to go handle and maybe shoot some to decide.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Have you thought about building? That's my plan. Seems to only save a little bit of $$..but as far as projects/DIY goes whats more badass than an AR15? Besides maybe turbocharging your car.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    A .22 won't suit your needs as you described them. .22's are good rifles for certain purposes like hunting small game like squirrel, rabbit, etc. They're also great for plinking at the range. They're a lot of fun to shoot and you can get about 47,000 rounds of ammo for around $1.35.

In the right hands a .22 can also be quite lethal to a human, but a battle rifle it is not.

What you're looking for is a SHTF, protect the family and the homestead battle rifle. Something that will penetrate cover and do significant damage to whoever it hits. For that you need a higher caliber.

That's my 2 cents at least.

Understandable. Definitely appreciate the input.

Get a barrel stamped for 5.56 NATO which will also allow you to fire 223 rem with no problems. It's not recommended to get a barrel stamped .223 and try to fire 5.56. The first choice gives you more choices in ammo variety. Personally I like COLT., I have HBar 6721 and love it. If money is no problem LWRC would be my other choice. I would also recommended checking out industry partner Thunderstick Enterprises. I was in there Monday picking up my Ruger American and they stated there may be an upcoming special or S&W MP-15 sporters or similar model.

http://www.thunderstickenterprisesonline.com/

Yep barrel stamped 5.56 so that I can use .223 as well but not the other way around. Got it! I dont think I'm a bit fan of the HBAR. I think I like the flat top better.

Unfortunately money is an issue. And I have checked out Thunderstick on this forum. Seems like they run some good deals every once in a while.

Thats probably mainly what it will be used for... who knows if it will ever be needed for anything else...

the OP needs to go handle and maybe shoot some to decide.

I have shot a .223 at the range and it felt good. Have not shot the .22 but I guess I'm just not sure if I want to spend the extra $$ on a 5.56 if I'll only be shooting paper at the range... I guess I'm just contemplating the 5.56 just in case sh!t ever goes down and it is necessary for protection.

Have you thought about building? That's my plan. Seems to only save a little bit of $$..but as far as projects/DIY goes whats more badass than an AR15? Besides maybe turbocharging your car.

Yeah thought about it but 1. I'm not really confident in doing my own gunsmithing yet. 2. I'd rather just have one already assembled and in my hands as soon as I decide to purchase one... I feel like there are way too many decisions out there when building one from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom