• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Understandable. Definitely appreciate the input.

Yep barrel stamped 5.56 so that I can use .223 as well but not the other way around. Got it! I dont think I'm a bit fan of the HBAR. I think I like the flat top better.

Unfortunately money is an issue. And I have checked out Thunderstick on this forum. Seems like they run some good deals every once in a while.

Thats probably mainly what it will be used for... who knows if it will ever be needed for anything else...

I have shot a .223 at the range and it felt good. Have not shot the .22 but I guess I'm just not sure if I want to spend the extra $$ on a 5.56 if I'll only be shooting paper at the range... I guess I'm just contemplating the 5.56 just in case sh!t ever goes down and it is necessary for protection.

Yeah thought about it but 1. I'm not really confident in doing my own gunsmithing yet. 2. I'd rather just have one already assembled and in my hands as soon as I decide to purchase one... I feel like there are way too many decisions out there when building one from scratch.

If you're not sure about the caliber, go with the .22. How much firearms experience do you have? Not knocking you by any means, but if you're new to the game .22 is the way to start on rifles. Focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, safety, and maintenance and them you'll be able to make a more informed decision on what's next. I started with a .22 as my first rifle and my first pistol 11 years ago, now I'm into 23 different calibers, all of which would have been wrong for me to start on except the .22.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    If you're not sure about the caliber, go with the .22. How much firearms experience do you have? Not knocking you by any means, but if you're new to the game .22 is the way to start on rifles. Focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, safety, and maintenance and them you'll be able to make a more informed decision on what's next.

Not to mention the enjoyment of being able to shoot for hours and hours on end without breaking the bank!

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    If you're not sure about the caliber, go with the .22. How much firearms experience do you have? Not knocking you by any means, but if you're new to the game .22 is the way to start on rifles. Focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, safety, and maintenance and them you'll be able to make a more informed decision on what's next. I started with a .22 as my first rifle and my first pistol 11 years ago, now I'm into 23 different calibers, all of which would have been wrong for me to start on except the .22.

I understand... I own a SA 9mm. It is currently my only firearm. I am very comfortable with it. I have also shot my friends 12 ga. Also comfortable with it. When I shot 2 rds out of the .223 it felt pretty comfortable and for my first 2 shots I was pretty accurate (however it did have a red dot scope on it :D). But thats a very interesting suggestion. Since it will be my first rifle, does anyone else think I should start with a .22 instead of a .223?

Not to mention the enjoyment of being able to shoot for hours and hours on end without breaking the bank!

I hear that!!

What do you guys think about these rifles?

Panther 5.56 NATO Oracle: $679

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Centerfire-Rifles/Semiautomatic|/pc/104792580/c/105522480/sc/105524280/Bushmaster-Firearms-AR-15-Rifles/1143590.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-centerfire-rifles-semiautomatic%2F_%2FN-1102333%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat105522480%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat105522480%3Bcat105524280

or this:

Carbon 15 with Red Dot Sight: looks like $729

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Centerfire-Rifles/Semiautomatic|/pc/104792580/c/105522480/sc/105524280/Bushmaster-Firearms-AR-15-Rifles/1143590.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-centerfire-rifles-semiautomatic%2F_%2FN-1102333%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat105522480%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat105522480%3Bcat105524280

Any thoughts?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You'll get more focus on breathing, trigger control, proper sight alignment with the .22 when you're not distracted by recoil or muzzle blast/concussion/sound. Once you build those skills up they'll serve you well on larger caliber rifles.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The S&W M&P15-22 MOE is an ideal way to get yourself into an AR-like platform on a tight budget. You can shoot all day for not much money. The MOE parts are transferable to an AR if/when you get one. I've got an M&P15-22. It's great.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=93044

The Carbon 15 is Rem-master (zombie version of the former Bushmaster). It's going to need some work on the internals compared to much better alternatives for another $100 or so. It also uses parts like the BCG that are not compatible with standard AR-15s. It's no free lunch.

For simply punching paper, the M&P15-22 is far more affordable and leaves lots of money left over for a decent red dot, spare mags, and plenty of ammo.

Rivera

Dec 26, 2009
    223 it was my first rifle bushmaster. the AR plataform is a very eazy to learn all the fundament on, it dont have that much recoil. then again you will always enjoy the cheaper round 22 it wont put a dent in your walet. ether or is not going to be your only 22 or ar that i can put money on LOL

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    223 it was my first rifle bushmaster. the AR plataform is a very eazy to learn all the fundament on, it dont have that much recoil. then again you will always enjoy the cheaper round 22 it wont put a dent in your walet. ether or is not going to be your only 22 or ar that i can put money on LOL

+1. No one can own just one .22 or AR.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Truer words were never spoken.

After the semi auto tac style .22 you'll realize you need a pistol to compliment it. Then 1 or 2 more different semis. Then at least one good bolt gun setup for high precision. Then a lever action because who doesn't want to be a cowboy. Like Journey says, it goes on and on.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    The Ruger SR22 rifle's trigger guard safety, is a bit slower to manipulate, than a dedicated 22 AR-15 safety. I like Ruger's 22 metal lipped magazines. Any plastic lipped 22 AR-15 magazines will eventually wear out; including the M&P 15/22 magazines. I would check out CMMG's metal lipped 22 AR magazines. I like my Ruger SR22 rifle for dependability/accuracy, but it has a tendency for certain receiver screws to come loose. I stripped one screw...and sent the rifle back to Ruger to be repaired.

May I suggest... that you first buy a Rock River AR-15, that comes with a camo paint job, in 5.56x45, or a 223 Wylde chamber; that takes 5.56x45 as well --- with 1 in 8 twist. It sells for $1,450. You can buy a 22 AR-15 upper for it later --- for around $500. You might need to install a mill-spec hammer and maybe extra-power hammer springs when you shoot the 22AR upper; cuz the RR match grade hammers will break after 3,000 rounds or so when shooting 22's.

Last edited:

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I guess I'm just contemplating the 5.56 just in case sh!t ever goes down and it is necessary for protection.
    That is an option. Of course you could buy a complete standard lower, then order a complete .22 LR upper.

Put the two together (all of litterally 10 seconds) and you have a .22 AR with an aluminum (instead of polymere) lower. When you want to upgrade to a centerfire caliber, just order the upper you want online. Remove the .22 upper and put on the centerfire upper.

I dont think I'm a bit fan of the HBAR. I think I like the flat top better.
    HBAR denotes a specific barrel type. In this case a Heavy BARrel. It has nothing to do with flattop type.

You can get flattop HBARs or HBARS with A1 or A2 uppers.

Personally I'm not a fan of the HBAR, but if you want a cash-n-carry AR-15 in this state the HBAR is the way to go.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That is an option. Of course you could buy a complete standard lower, then order a complete .22 LR upper.

Put the two together (all of litterally 10 seconds) and you have a .22 AR with an aluminum (instead of polymere) lower. When you want to upgrade to a centerfire caliber, just order the upper you want online. Remove the .22 upper and put on the centerfire upper.

HBAR denotes a specific barrel type. In this case a Heavy BARrel. It has nothing to do with flattop type.

You can get flattop HBARs or HBARS with A1 or A2 uppers.

Personally I'm not a fan of the HBAR, but if you want a cash-n-carry AR-15 in this state the HBAR is the way to go.

Even better idea. Dedicated uppers for different calibers are ok, is not like you'll be shooting two at one time anyway.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Even better idea. Dedicated uppers for different calibers are ok, is not like you'll be shooting two at one time anyway.

Yeah it's a better idea, costs and weighs a bit more, but you get that flexibility of the AR platform.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I started a little over two years ago with gun ownership even though I have shot with other peoples guns for many years.
    Having a gun of your very own is very different because you become intimate with it. I started with a .22 and learned the fundamentals while waiting for an AR lower form a group buy and I'm glad that I made that decision because I must have saved a lot of money in learning the fundamentals, and as a result could appreciate what I wanted in my AR as far as trigger pull, sights and butt stock. I can say that I built a good foundation in regard to safety as well as being able to shoot accurately.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    How do you guys feel about the DPMS Oracle? It does not come with a chrome lined barrel or front & rear sights but it does have a dust cover and forward assist. I figure if I keep the barrel clean and oiled it should be fine and then eventually I can get a new barrel to swap. I found them selling for a very good price (one that I wouldn't mind paying). The only issue is that there might be a wait on that rifle and they can not say for sure how long the wait will be.

Any thoughts or comments?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    How do you guys feel about the DPMS Oracle? It does not come with a chrome lined barrel or front & rear sights but it does have a dust cover and forward assist. I figure if I keep the barrel clean and oiled it should be fine and then eventually I can get a new barrel to swap. I found them selling for a very good price (one that I wouldn't mind paying). The only issue is that there might be a wait on that rifle and they can not say for sure how long the wait will be.

Any thoughts or comments?

They're ok. I have a DPMS lower on one that has no issues, but my upper on that one is Stag with a chrome lined barrel. How much is the deal for?

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    They're ok. I have a DPMS lower on one that has no issues, but my upper on that one is Stag with a chrome lined barrel. How much is the deal for?

They had a full Stag setup there as well but that one was $880 (which I am not comfortable paying quite yet) with chrome lined barrel and iron sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom