• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    They had a full Stag setup there as well but that one was $880 (which I am not comfortable paying quite yet) with chrome lined barrel and iron sights.

Seems too high for a Stag. I paid $450 for my upper (flattop M4 style 16") and $250 for my DPMS lower, and a Stag lower would have been about the same. You can buy their uppers from their website directly too.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    How do you guys feel about the DPMS Oracle? It does not come with a chrome lined barrel or front & rear sights but it does have a dust cover and forward assist. I figure if I keep the barrel clean and oiled it should be fine and then eventually I can get a new barrel to swap. I found them selling for a very good price (one that I wouldn't mind paying). The only issue is that there might be a wait on that rifle and they can not say for sure how long the wait will be.

Any thoughts or comments?

I have one and recommended it to you earlier in this thread. They do not get a lot of respect around here, but for the price, they are hard to beat. You are looking for a range gun and these are just fine for that. I have about 5000 round through mine without a problem.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    How do you guys feel about the DPMS Oracle? It does not come with a chrome lined barrel or front & rear sights but it does have a dust cover and forward assist. I figure if I keep the barrel clean and oiled it should be fine

Not a fan.

I've seen too many DPMS's lock up when they got hot, or have problems with 5.56 ammo. (usually they were improperly sized chambers - even when the barrel was marked 5.56). I've also notice their gas ports are more likely to be off (ammo that won't cycle in them - cycles fine in my rifles).

DPMS can make a decent rifle, but they are (in my experience) more likely to cut corners which hurts reliability and durability. No question the rifles are accurate and work find for range plinkers; but I won't buy them as I put a high value on reliability.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Not a fan.

I've seen too many DPMS's lock up when they got hot, or have problems with 5.56 ammo. (usually they were improperly sized chambers - even when the barrel was marked 5.56). I've also notice their gas ports are more likely to be off (ammo that won't cycle in them - cycles fine in my rifles).

DPMS can make a decent rifle, but they are (in my experience) more likely to cut corners which hurts reliability and durability. No question the rifles are accurate and work find for range plinkers; but I won't buy them as I put a high value on reliability.

Could always do what I did and buy different mfr upper and lower. My only experience with DPMS has been the lower half which is fine.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Could always do what I did and buy different mfr upper and lower. My only experience with DPMS has been the lower half which is fine.

Agreed, matter of fact many of my ARs are built like that. Lower from one MFG and upper from another. I only have 2 ARs where the upper and lower are from the same company.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Agreed, matter of fact many of my ARs are built like that. Lower from one MFG and upper from another. I only have 2 ARs where the upper and lower are from the same company.

Yep, anything with a real mil-spec finish will color match too. Only some of the real cheapies out there don't match up as well.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I have one and recommended it to you earlier in this thread. They do not get a lot of respect around here, but for the price, they are hard to beat. You are looking for a range gun and these are just fine for that. I have about 5000 round through mine without a problem.

I'll vouch for this....I shot his. :thumbsup:

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    Pretty good for an entry level.

Thanks!

Yes you did. I just didnt know anything else about them until I held one at the store. Seems like a good rifle. Thanks.

Not a fan.

Definitely understandable. But as a first AR I think this may be the way to go... As long as I can still get my hands on one.

And that is exactly what I may do down the line when I get comfortable breaking these things down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom