• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Sorry if you thought this was a 'look what i got' thread. i wish it was. However im almost 100% certain that my first purchase of 2012 will be a serious one. I REALLY want an original German Luger. I dont care if its an early date or all the way up to a 43 when they stopped production. Just one in good condition that i can fire. What do you guys know about them? anyone have one? also, does anyone make a reproduction Luger? i havent found anything, and find it suprising if they dont. Im still teetering between WW2 1911 or Luger. heck even a German WW2 P38 (not p1). thoughts? this would be purchased no earlier than march or april, as i have some things im selling.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    New production Lugers were made in the 1990s, good luck finding one. I could have purchased a WWI era Luger with Nazi markings for $450 back in 1991, should have grabbed it then. Personally, I'd get a WWI veteran, but I don't have $2500 to spend on it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The Bel Air show is coming up the first week in February, it's a relatively small show but I remember the last time I went a vendor had a nice display of lugers and he was a fountain of knowledge about them. It might be worth a try to go and see if he's there this time. You could probably find out everything you ever wanted to know.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The Bel Air show is coming up the first week in February, it's a relatively small show but I remember the last time I went a vendor had a nice display of lugers and he was a fountain of knowledge about them. It might be worth a try to go and see if he's there this time. You could probably find out everything you ever wanted to know.

that sounds great thanks for the idea. ill definately check him out. never seen him at timonium. ive wanted a Luger since i was a kid and i saw Last Crusade. Indy shot through 3 guys on the tank. after that i said 'i have to have one of those!'

at 3:35
    http://youtu.be/agFP9-3Fea8

WAIT A SECOND thats a p38 when he drops it in the tank. didnt it look like a luger when he shot the guys?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    the Bel Air show and the last Darlington show I saw 2 lugers for around $800. they were shooters and no historical significance. just need to look they are out there

here's mine....all matching #'s including mag and waffenamps :party29:

Attachments

• Luger P08 003.JPG
      Luger P08 003.JPG
      74.5 KB · Views: 951

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    WOW i expected to pay MINIMUM $1200. GREAT link!!!!! and FPS, very nice. id be honored if you let me shoot it one day

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Sorry if you thought this was a 'look what i got' thread. i wish it was. However im almost 100% certain that my first purchase of 2012 will be a serious one. I REALLY want an original German Luger. I dont care if its an early date or all the way up to a 43 when they stopped production. Just one in good condition that i can fire. What do you guys know about them? anyone have one? also, does anyone make a reproduction Luger? i havent found anything, and find it suprising if they dont. Im still teetering between WW2 1911 or Luger. heck even a German WW2 P38 (not p1). thoughts? this would be purchased no earlier than march or april, as i have some things im selling.

The Luger is hands down one of the coolest and sexiest guns ever made. Hell, they made a Bond movie intro with Lugers and girls.

They are expensive, no matter what variety you get. Cheapest will probably be a parts mix-up. The more non-matching parts, the cheaper the Luger should be. However, there is a reason that people pay top dollar for a matching Luger. Many of these guns were hand fitted and assembled. I'm not saying that a mismatch won't work, just that you MAY run into problems. After all matching parts, the next thing to consider is condition. Remember to check the internals. There are numbered parts inside of the gun as well. A matching gun with an OK outside but beautiful bore would work for me. Just like any C&R gun, some Lugers will have import marks. Factor this into your pricing and decision. Also, and this is a tough one for collectors, is whether the gun has been refinished or not. IMO, it's your decision.

IIRC, I saw one at the Bel Air show in 2010 for around $625. It was a VoPo (East German Volkspolizei) mismatched Luger. It had WW1 and WW2 parts on it. They are neat if they fit your collecting interests and/or budget. The EG did a good job at removing a lot of the historic markings on the gun though. They also replaced the wood or "black widow" grips with their unique EG VoPo grips. These do have a following of their own.

From what I've seen, the post WW2 Lugers can be problematic. Not all of the parts are made to exact mil-spec. It's somewhat similar to the differences in various M-14/M1A makers in the rifle world. Based on what I've seen, the post war Lugers just look cheaper in some way to me.

IMO, you can get a matching P.38 in good condition for less money than a matching Luger in the same condition.

Here's a list for what it's worth of how I value them assuming all are in the same condition.

Mismatched P.38 - worth the least.
    Mismatched P.08 (non VoPo) - it's a Luger and that's worth something.
    VoPo Luger - neat piece of history, but still a mismatch. Unless VoPo's are your thing.
    Matching P.38 - Prices can vary, but usually less than a Luger.
    Matching WW1 era P.08 - A beautiful handgun, worthy of any collection.
    Matching WW2/3rd Reich era P.08 - The associatation with the NAZI's seems to increase the value of the WW2 variants.

WW2 "Black Widow" - The dealer is going to mark this thing up to maximum. The Germans never used the term "Black Widow", it's a US collector thing. These are factory Mauser Lugers that left the factory with black bakelite grips.

There is a whole lot more to the Luger story. There are a lot of other variants, including police issued Lugers with additional safety features.

Be careful! Lugers can be a minefield. Ask questions and/or take a knowledgable person with you when you go to buy. If you want to shoot one often, I might go with a mismatched model, but if you want to shoot your Luger once or twice each year, I would go something more collectable. Understand that there is always a risk in shooting anything, whether it's matching or not. If a part breaks, it breaks. However, if you break a serialized part and your gun is now non-matching, you can be assured that it'll be devalued.

I own a Mauser variant made during WW2. It's an awesome gun, they are amazing to shoot and damn accurate. They can be a little finicky though. I replaced the springs on mine with new ones from Wolff. I also use new Mec-Gar Luger magazines. Some Luger shooters recommend Winchester White Box. I've stuck with American Eagle just because. Maybe I'll try WWB in the future.

Wow, that's a long post. I hope you got some info out of it. If you want some help in making a decision (or pulling the trigger :)) on one, please post here in this thread and we'll offer up our best opinions on it.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I recommend a VOPO. They were reworked properly and work properly. They are inexpensive and they haven't been faked...yet. Most people want primo grade collector stuff so no one cares about the lowly VOPO. However, because they were reworked for the Eastie police and or NVA, they are as reliable (in my experience) as a matching one. Here are two of mine and I have less then $1000 in the PAIR. So, if you want a shooter, consider a DDR jobber. BTW, they ARE becomming collectable and finally starting to get the attention they deserve.

P1080712.jpg

P1080714.jpg

Almost all were rebarreled too and shot zero to little so they have excellent barrels too.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    My dad has a few we can shoot Chris. I have to remember this show I watched a week or two again...It was 1911 vs. luger..... Awesome show! You would have loved it

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya I have been lurking for one. A close relative scored one for $650.........non import, stamped, the works, all matching parts (except one) and a matching mag.

I want one, its hard to justify paying the $1500 plus you need to for one with matching numbers and WWII stamps. But I doubt they will get any cheaper anytime soon.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    There is a guy at the Timonium Antique arms show (on St Paddys this year) who has a Luger display with pretty much one of everything including a full case of P38s. Not for sale but really cool stuff.
    I have an all matching but reblued DWM 1918. Its a great shooter.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If I can get something that is Third Reich, it would make me a happy camper. I have an unnatural affinity for ANYTHING Third Reich. Like I said, too much Indiana Jones as a kid. (if there is a such thing) watching Last Crusade now. Ok thanks Scott, I'll call later about it. And thanks for all info in the posts before it. It was tremendously helpful. You guys rock. I was set on a German handgun, and decided a Luger will always be cooler than a Sig. (which I still want) is there ever an end to a gun collection? I dont see one in sight...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Is this the beginning of the next MDS group buy??

Since I joined this site I've needed to get a part-time job.
    Nothing but bad influences and enablers on here.
    :D

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I have been wanting a P08 for a long time also. I have a holster for one but it came with a P38 inside. I acquired it from an elderly gentleman who was executor of his brother's estate and claimed his brother brought it back from the war. Nice P38 in very good shape with all matching numbers. No import marks so maybe it was a bring back but no papers. The holster is a P08 holster but with only a deaths head stamp on the flap and no other markings. I have not been able to find much info on the holster as most era holsters have stamps similar to the weapons.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have been wanting a P08 for a long time also. I have a holster for one but it came with a P38 inside. I acquired it from an elderly gentleman who was executor of his brother's estate and claimed his brother brought it back from the war. Nice P38 in very good shape with all matching numbers. No import marks so maybe it was a bring back but no papers. The holster is a P08 holster but with only a deaths head stamp on the flap and no other markings. I have not been able to find much info on the holster as most era holsters have stamps similar to the weapons.

Well the Deaths Head is SS of course. Did the Waffen SS carry Lugers or was it mainly the Allgemeine SS? I feel like the Waffen SS had mainly the new stuff like P38s but I'm sure someone on here knows better.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    Well the Deaths Head is SS of course. Did the Waffen SS carry Lugers or was it mainly the Allgemeine SS? I feel like the Waffen SS had mainly the new stuff like P38s but I'm sure someone on here knows better.

:shrug:

I am almost positive it is a P08 holster. Seems a bit large for the P38 and has the small pouch for the take down tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom