• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this when you get it.

That's good to know. Your review was the impetus for my order. I need to test fire and sight in a few recent purchases, so will most likely get out this weekend.

I'm going to let smdub be the guinea pig on the MEAN upper. Looks intriguing.
    email got dumped in my seldom checked "promotions" folder, apparently mine shipped and will be here friday. Definitely want to hear about the Mean arms too. As far as racking the Maxim RDB, barely notice it with my Raptor handles, definitely easier than the scheel. Some people on Reddit were claiming it was impossible to rack, pretty much every one was using a mil-spec or other charging handle that lacks the spring loaded lever ears. The theory is that the little bump from the lever bottoming, and the larger size help, it's much harder to rack if you do it really slow, but racking with any effort and speed, and you don't really notice the extra effort of the RDB disengaging.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    email got dumped in my seldom checked "promotions" folder, apparently mine shipped and will be here friday. Definitely want to hear about the Mean arms too. As far as racking the Maxim RDB, barely notice it with my Raptor handles, definitely easier than the scheel. Some people on Reddit were claiming it was impossible to rack, pretty much every one was using a mil-spec or other charging handle that lacks the spring loaded lever ears. The theory is that the little bump from the lever bottoming, and the larger size help, it's much harder to rack if you do it really slow, but racking with any effort and speed, and you don't really notice the extra effort of the RDB disengaging.
    Mine and I'm sure teratos's are on the same shipment dump.
    It's about time...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Good to know. I use raptor charging handles. Looking forward to trying it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Damn, this thing is REALLY hard to charge. Did some reading, it seems if you give the buffer tube one extra turn, it can pre-load the spring and it makes it a bit easier. Gonna try it.

EDIT: Tried it. Still silly.

Yet ANOTHER solution is coming….

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Damn, this thing is REALLY hard to charge. Did some reading, it seems if you give the buffer tube one extra turn, it can pre-load the spring and it makes it a bit easier. Gonna try it.

EDIT: Tried it. Still silly.

Yet ANOTHER solution is coming….
    Would adding a spacer in the tail of the buffer tube make any difference?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’ll play with it more.
    I put mine in. It is a bit resistant. I think a slick sided upper receiver would be a plus. It would keep you from busting your knuckle on the FA. Having an extended charging handle latch helps.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I put mine in. It is a bit resistant. I think a slick sided upper receiver would be a plus. It would keep you from busting your knuckle on the FA. Having an extended charging handle latch helps.
    I don’t have a gauge, but I’m looking at 30-40 lbs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t have a gauge, but I’m looking at 30-40 lbs.
    I found my old digital fish scale but I had to order batteries for it. I'll check mine later this week. I'm thinking it's no where near 40 lbs though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, I put mine on right before Rosh Hashanah. I don't have any preload that I can see (it literally just slid in), and it's imply not THAT hard to pull back. Yes, it's way harder than the old setup, but it's not unmanageable by any stretch. Charging handle is an old BCM Gunfighter, so that extended latch presumably helps some. Still waiting on Grabagun to ship my LevAR.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My LevAR came today. A few impressions:
    1. It does what it says. If you use the leverage latch on the right-hand-side, it will indeed make it much easier to get the charging handle back.
    2. The left-hand-side (non-leverage) latch is a little underwhelming compared to the BCM Gunfighter CH I used to have on it, but still usable.
    3. The leverage latch is not in a convenient place if you are running a rear-mounted offset optic, but is usable.

On the whole, I would not be bothering with the LevAR if I was not running a system like the Maxim roller delay, but it's somewhat helpful otherwise. Test firing will be Sunday, hopefully.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That is odd, but not unheard of, some say it is a lot more difficult. This is mine, rack it deliberately, and easy with 1 finger, although probably 200 rounds through it at that time. I shimmed the tube so the buffer just touches the back of the carrier, but no preloaded tension. Not sure if there is a burr or edge on something. Of course being you have to overcome the delay mechanism while racking, so it should add some resistance. Got my new one, went into a competition side charger, a little stiffer than this one, but not by a lot. notice it, finger,
    20230627_204233_1.gif
    20230628_084558_1.gif

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I never said I had real trouble making this thing charge back with a standard CH, either. But that seems like less force than mine requires. It may also be that the Radian's design inadvertently provides some extra leverage.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So is the roller delay buffer worth it? Who has shot one and how did you like it? Still waiting for the range report from the Doc.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So is the roller delay buffer worth it? Who has shot one and how did you like it? Still waiting for the range report from the Doc.
    post 30 and a couple after that. It works as advertised, soft recoil, little dot movement. Apparently it can be anywhere from barely noticeable to extremely difficult to rack

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom