• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    Don't worry, I've seen them close to where you live with my own eyes. I'm not gonna say they are plentiful, but I've seen one in Garrett County.

I live out in the sticks in Garrett County, have personally seen 2 in my lifetime. I know they're here. Yrs ago the DNR denied the black bears in the area also.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So...

Why the denials by DNR? Just to keep idjits from trying to bag one, or are they waiting for a lawsuit when someone gets mauled and no one was alerted the cats could actually be living out there?

Try getting a straight answer from the DNR, I'm sure the answer would be laughable.:lol2:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I saw one in Little Orleans about 5 years ago. I shouldn't publicly admit this but here we goooooooo.........

So I'm hunting squirel and walking down the stream that is adjacent to the HUGE camp site at the bottom of the hill (Some of you may know what I'm taking about). It's about 10 mins from bills place and 10 mins from the Green Ridge Shooting range.

Anyway I stop to take a piss and place my .22 on the ground along with my backpack. I start peeing when I hear this noise coming from the cliff face behind me. I think to myself, oh cool it's probably a squirel, I'll shoot it when I'm done. Well then I hear a slightly louder thud and when I look behind me there is a Mountain Lion on the other side of the river. It had a rabbit in it's mouth and scared me half to death. I pull up my pants, while still peeing (which was a bad idea) and grab my .22. I shoot a couple of times in the water and it looks at me like I'm an idiot. So I shoot a couple more rounds like 15-20 yards to it's left and finally it starts going up the hill. It doesn't go up the entier way probably only half way up, lays down, and starts eating it's rabbit. I walked back to the truck with a quickly half loaded 10/22 and wet pants.

I know I joke a crap ton on here but that thing scared me. I was affraid it was going get agressive since it had the rabbit in it's mouth.

Oh and little Orleans isn't far from PA at all!

I would say it is within pissing distance.:D

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I saw one in Little Orleans about 5 years ago. I shouldn't publicly admit this but here we goooooooo.........

So I'm hunting squirel and walking down the stream that is adjacent to the HUGE camp site at the bottom of the hill (Some of you may know what I'm taking about). It's about 10 mins from bills place and 10 mins from the Green Ridge Shooting range.

Anyway I stop to take a piss and place my .22 on the ground along with my backpack. I start peeing when I hear this noise coming from the cliff face behind me. I think to myself, oh cool it's probably a squirel, I'll shoot it when I'm done. Well then I hear a slightly louder thud and when I look behind me there is a Mountain Lion on the other side of the river. It had a rabbit in it's mouth and scared me half to death. I pull up my pants, while still peeing (which was a bad idea) and grab my .22. I shoot a couple of times in the water and it looks at me like I'm an idiot. So I shoot a couple more rounds like 15-20 yards to it's left and finally it starts going up the hill. It doesn't go up the entier way probably only half way up, lays down, and starts eating it's rabbit. I walked back to the truck with a quickly half loaded 10/22 and wet pants.

I know I joke a crap ton on here but that thing scared me. I was affraid it was going get agressive since it had the rabbit in it's mouth.

Oh and little Orleans isn't far from PA at all!

You were right to be scared. I have spent a lot of time in genuine cougar country out West. They are ambush predators and will eat man. Consider yourself fortunate that the cat was on the otherside of water and you saw the cat a head of time.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I live out in the sticks in Garrett County, have personally seen 2 in my lifetime. I know they're here. Yrs ago the DNR denied the black bears in the area also.

Really? When was that? The Md Hunting Guide in the 60's and 70's specifically had black bear as "closed season" that isn't a denial. Again I'm not saying they don't exist but so far I haven't seen one credible picture or news story.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    Really? When was that? The Md Hunting Guide in the 60's and 70's specifically had black bear as "closed season" that isn't a denial. Again I'm not saying they don't exist but so far I haven't seen one credible picture or news story.

When i was a kid my grandfathers friend was leaving out our farm one evening and seen a bear by our gate. It was evening and not dark out as of yet.. They called the DNR and the TWO DNR officers looked around and then said they are NOT in our region and haven't been for years... That was in 1976. I was standing right there and remember that plain as day because for years after that people busted my grandads friends balls over it.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    When i was a kid my grandfathers friend was leaving out our farm one evening and seen a bear by our gate. It was evening and not dark out as of yet.. They called the DNR and the TWO DNR officers looked around and then said they are NOT in our region and haven't been for years... That was in 1976. I was standing right there and remember that plain as day because for years after that people busted my grandads friends balls over it.

If you're in Allegheny or Garrett I have little doubt he may have seen them. Again, "closed season" in the book is NOT saying they didn't exist because everyone knows they did.

BeStocked

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Awesome picture... Thanks for sharing. Been camping in that area for years and have never seen one. Good to know and can be prepared.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Big cat

Why does DNR continue to deny the existence of mountain lions in MD? Because no one has produced any real and verifiable proof. Will this always be so? If they are here, of course not. But as an agency, to remain credible, DNR has to base their findings and information on facts and not speculation. Sorry guys, they may be here or not. Until someone takes a good photo, game cam or otherwise, or a DNR biologist finds real evidence, DNR will continue to "deny" their existence in this state. Don't forget, these folks also live and hunt throughout MD. Many have also lived here for generations... Just my two cents. Personally, we have a lot of land out west that could make great habitat... If they aren't here yet, well, that may not always be so.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Maybe we need to start "Mountain Lions Unlimited". I would happily donate, if we could establish a breeding population in the most liberal parts of Montgomery County.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Do you suppose a lot of these potential mountain lion stories that some of them are actually just a big Bob cat?

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Here is a series of pics, overlayed together, from my game camera in Green Ridge. I'm no little guy, this is one BIG cat. We have been seeing a lot of them the last few years.

Attachments

• 216727_1793457207999_1170567_n.jpg
      216727_1793457207999_1170567_n.jpg
      107 KB · Views: 297

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads