• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    When I was a kid I saw bigfoot. It was 8ft tall covered in really long hair and it scared the crap out of me when it jumped out at me from behind a wood pile.
    I found out later it was my 5'8 neighbor dressed in woodland cammo and wearing a gorilla mask... Sometimes the mind sees what it wants to.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Since this thread seems to just go on and on with a life of its own I'll offer a little historical data with absolutely NO redeeming value or purpose other than to occupy a few minutes of the time I have to kill right now...

Mountain Lions or more correctly "Panthers" as they were originally called in MD., were quite common at one time... but you already know that. Take the time sometime in your life to read Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter, by Meshach Browning of 1700's Garrett County. To totally eliminate any excuses for not doing so, its even available as an on-line read from Google Books!
    http://books.google.com/books?id=PB...&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Browning makes numerous references to depredations by and hunting of panthers - which were already getting scarce back then! There is one fleeting reference in the book though to "catamount."
    Now if you look it up, Catamount (alternately, cat-a-mount, etc.) usually says it's merely one of the colloquial terms for Mt. Lion. Some attribute it to bobcats, both of which were (then) common and regularly mentioned enough by Browning to establish his use of terminology for those animals. Browning makes reference that one time though to "catamount," even describing it as being between the size of a wildcat (bobcat) and panther.
    Established thinking accepts that lynx once existed as far south as Northern PA. Browning's mention seems to point to a lynx though. The only other animal seeming to match his description of a catamount would be a wolverine, the next closest suspect being fisher, but they are no larger than a bobcat... Something to ponder indeed.

At any rate. Do yourself a huge favor and read Browning's book sometime if you never have. If it's been a while, read it again! Oh, and by the way, his descendants still live in Garrett Co. are there by any chance some on the board?

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Do you suppose a lot of these potential mountain lion stories that some of them are actually just a big Bob cat?

If someone saw, out in the wild, the bobcat I show in post #80, with the size, and the length of the tail, I'll bet a lot of people would swear that it was a mountain lion. That is a big, muscular cat.

Also, while there isn't any proof of a native population, there WAS one confirmed as being hit in Connecticut last year, that they believed had migrated from South Dakota. Supposedly there were some game cam pics and hair samples from along the journey. That's pretty amazing, and if one did it, who's to say that more haven't? Or won't?

Green Ridge would be a pretty good hiding spot.

Here is link about it, but there are plenty of other articles online.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/27/us-mountainlion-idUSTRE76Q5ZE20110727

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Since this thread seems to just go on and on with a life of its own I'll offer a little historical data with absolutely NO redeeming value or purpose other than to occupy a few minutes of the time I have to kill right now...

Mountain Lions or more correctly "Panthers" as they were originally called in MD., were quite common at one time... but you already know that. Take the time sometime in your life to read Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter, by Meshach Browning of 1700's Garrett County. To totally eliminate any excuses for not doing so, its even available as an on-line read from Google Books!
    http://books.google.com/books?id=PB...&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Browning makes numerous references to depredations by and hunting of panthers - which were already getting scarce back then! There is one fleeting reference in the book though to "catamount."
    Now if you look it up, Catamount (alternately, cat-a-mount, etc.) usually says it's merely one of the colloquial terms for Mt. Lion. Some attribute it to bobcats, both of which were (then) common and regularly mentioned enough by Browning to establish his use of terminology for those animals. Browning makes reference that one time though to "catamount," even describing it as being between the size of a wildcat (bobcat) and panther.
    Established thinking accepts that lynx once existed as far south as Northern PA. Browning's mention seems to point to a lynx though. The only other animal seeming to match his description of a catamount would be a wolverine, the next closest suspect being fisher, but they are no larger than a bobcat... Something to ponder indeed.

At any rate. Do yourself a huge favor and read Browning's book sometime if you never have. If it's been a while, read it again! Oh, and by the way, his descendants still live in Garrett Co. are there by any chance some on the board?

Several of them on Ebay as we speak.

Detailed item info
    Synopsis
    Subtitle: Being Reminiscences of Meshach Browning, a Maryland Hunter, Roughly Written Down by Himself; Rev. and Ill. by E. Stabler General Books publication date: 2009 Original publication date: 1883 Original Publisher: J.B. Lippincott Subjects: Hunting History / United States / State

Product Identifiers
    ISBN-10 1150743468
    ISBN-13 9781150743467

Key Details
    Author Meshach Browning
    Number Of Pages 228 pages
    Format Trade Paper
    Publication Date 2009-12-01
    Language English
    Publisher Books LLC

Dimensions
    Weight 12 Oz
    Height 0.5 In.
    Width 6 In.
    Length 9 In.

hamrad

Dec 19, 2012
    Just registered here after reading for some time.
    I have to comment on this post.
    I used to live in the yougheny mt. resort. Back about 1995 I was coming home from work and just got down to the bottom of the hill near the stream. Anyone familiar with this particular area will know what I am talking about. As I rounded the turn to the right there was a fine example of a mountain lion which had a groundhog trapped in a small culvert. It was so much involved in trying to get the groundhog out of the culvert it never noticed me for quite a while. I was within 30 feet of him. There is no doubt what I saw. Sure wish I had a camera at the time. I have lived in this area all my 48 years and that was the one and only experience I have had with a big cat like that.

Of course that area is like no other. I seen all kinds of interresting things back there. Sure glad I moved out!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I saw Big Foot in Greenridge.

Of course, Big Foot was the name of our high school buddy with 6 toes on each foot.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I once met a guy in green ridge while turkey hunting, he was kinda fat and had a funny big hair doo, he was a nice guy just kept point his finger at me and saying " the king loves yea baby"

odd....

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Google eastern puma research, they're near a family farm in wv, they claim to have proof of mountain lion tracks

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Also, you never know what some people are raising, that somehow get released in to the wild.

Years ago, during hunting season, there was a full sized mountain goat on the hillside right outside my backdoor in Green Ridge. We heard that someone over in WV had been raising them.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    Well, We have all heard or maybe even seen a mountain lion here in Garrett County. But the DNR claims they don't exist in western Md. or the east coast for that matter. (go figure)

I knew with all the trail cams in the woods today, it was only a matter of time before a quality undisputed picture of a mountain lion would be taken is this area.
    Well, as luck would have it, my co worker took this very nice pic of a mature female mountain lion last week just south of Uniontown Pa. I know it is not technically in maryland but I highly doubt this cat knows where the state line is located and stays on the Pa. side all the time.
    The Pa. Game Commission investigated this picture. They also obtained print casting from the area. The game Commission confirmed this picture as authentic and classified this as a confirmed sighting.
    Nice ... They can help control deer and coyotes.
    A friend hunts them in Colorado, but the permit requires it to be a random encounter.
    I could not shoot one unless it was lunging at me

shiner500

Jul 8, 2011
    Maryland
    I hate big cats.
    Just the thought of one silently sneaking up on me and pouncing and grabbing me by my neck and sinking it's claws into me.I hope they never end up in central Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom