• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    One of the sharpest and smoothest opening folders/flippers that I've encountered was a Boker Kwaiken Duplex that I picked up a few years ago. I had a habit of fidgeting with folders and this one cured me of that habit after it kept drawing blood on my thumb knuckle. The duplex model had a duplex grind and was discontinued, but it looks like they expanded the Kwaiken line considerably.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’m looking for a new pocket knife. I like the smooth opening of a kershaw blur but the sharp blade type of the Buck bantam. The kershaw isn’t as sharp as the Buck and the Buck isn’t as well made as the Kershaw.

Gimme suggestions.
    Learn how to sharpen and maintain a knife edge.
    Not trying to be a Richard-cranium.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    You can get the blur and have a shop like Burr Benders put a razor edge on it.

I really like the Kizer I carry, it's on a ball bearing so it pops open extremely smoothly
    Spyderco Shaman is my winter carry. Summer is generally a PM3, but I mix it up. On the boat, I only carry a Spyderco Salt. Next knife is going to be a mini-infidel OTF, just because. Spyderco's are overpriced though, so you have to really want it to justify the expense. I'm surprised to hear you say that the Buck quality isn't great. I always thought they made a pretty decent knife for the price.

The Shaman is my favorite do-everything folding knife, period.
    The Shaman is one helluva nice knife. Not cheap. Worth it though.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Learn how to sharpen and maintain a knife edge.
    Not trying to be a Richard-cranium.
    Ironically, my FIL is named Richard. He did not appreciate the gag-gift shirt that my wife gave him last year. It just said "Don't be a Richard". He'd absolutely be the first in line to agree on this approach, though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ironically, my FIL is named Richard. He did not appreciate the gag-gift shirt that my wife gave him last year. It just said "Don't be a Richard". He'd absolutely be the first in line to agree on this approach, though.
    Hahaha!
    Dick Nixon approves... :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Honestly, if you want serrated, Spyderco is the best game in town. If you don't want serrated, I still think the Endura and Delica are just about perfect but you have more options.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I can sharpen, just not good enough to get a razor edge………… yet
    Buy a sharpening fixture. Lansky or work sharp. It's a lot easier.

One day I will grow up and buy a wicked edge setup. For now, freehand for some blades and work sharp for others. Finish on leather strop.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some knife companies say that if anyone other than them sharpen the knife the warranty will be void.
    That's bulshit. Not that you say that, but that a knife maker would. I would never buy a knife from such manufacturer. Ever.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buy a sharpening fixture. Lansky or work sharp. It's a lot easier.

One day I will grow up and buy a wicked edge setup. For now, freehand for some blades and work sharp for others. Finish on leather strop.
    I agree. Get a Lansky. Learn to use it. You don't need a Worksharp. You will likely ruin a few knives learning how to properly use it.

Keeping a knife sharp all depends on how you use and abuse it. If you use it gently, buy a set of crock sticks and maintain it accordingly. If you are going to abuse it, get a 2 sided stone and learn how to hand hone, then finish with crock sticks.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That's bulshit. Not that you say that, but that a knife maker would. I would never buy a knife from such manufacturer. Ever.
    Even a couple of custom knife makers I own work from haven't told me that I can't sharpen their work. I always ask for their recommended practices and follow them if they offer guidance.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I agree. Get a Lansky. Learn to use it. You don't need a Worksharp. You will likely ruin a few knives learning how to properly use it.

Keeping a k oife sharp all depends on how you use ans abuse it. If you use it gently, buy a set of crock sticks and maintain it accordingly. If you are going to abuse it, get a 2 sided stone and learn how to hand hone, then finish with crock sticks.
    My work sharp is the fixture, not the belt sander. That thing is a no go.

I use the work sharp diamond and ceramics but I also made a couple of my own.

I do abuse some of my stuff, including some steels that my norton Alundum stones don't work too well on. My pocket knife is a Benchmade with an m390 blade. I normally clean it up with ceramic and then strop it. If I do something especially bad to it or get lazy and don't sharpen it for a while, I start with diamond. I run it at 20 degrees, pretty fine. Same as my skinning knife. The price of that razor edge is durability. Been happy with the m390 as it has held up well even that fine.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    The civivi elementum is a great Edc. I’ve given a ton as gifts. My edc varies between a spyderco pm3 and a microtech Ultratech. The spyderco is made in the USA and is very slicy. Of all my blades, maybe the best edc.

whiskey3

MDS Supporter
    Jul 27, 2022
    Solomons, MD
    You can’t go wrong with a Spyderco, I have several and I like them all. I also have a few custom made fixed blades for hunting. But I’m retired and spend most days outside. My knife is a tool and I abuse it. In your price range you are not going to get good steel, but you can still have a sharp knife and a good tool. How about a Buck 110?

51RIVVZyO1L._AC_SX679_.jpeg

A tough monster that will pry, cut, and pound. Heavy in the pocket I use a holster:

41qrgiYTvbL._AC_.jpeg

On the side were a magazine holder would go if you carried one.

Or a Marttini folder, unknown Japanese stainless steel blade and bolsters. Will take a decent edge, just won’t hold it long. Again an abusable tool.

912111_first_ml.jpeg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I’m looking for a new pocket knife. I like the smooth opening of a kershaw blur but the sharp blade type of the Buck bantam. The kershaw isn’t as sharp as the Buck and the Buck isn’t as well made as the Kershaw.

Gimme suggestions.

Up your blade sharpening skills , and factory edges are no longer a factor .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom