• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Lesson 1 learned from this thread: I should save some more money so I can buy a good knife lol

TD

I have a few nice ( by my standards ) knives . I also have a jinx that the more expensive a knife is , the faster it gets / lost/ misplaced/ hiding from me in the house .

So most of the time ( other than at gun shows ) , I have a random cheap POS , that I have sharpened to my standards .

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Lesson 1 learned from this thread: I should save some more money so I can buy a good knife lol

TD
    I could argue that if you buy a good knife, you'll save money in the long run. I'm partial to ZT knives. My EDC is a 0650 model that I paid $250 for about 4 years ago. They are discontinued now, but I see them selling used for 2x that or more on ebay.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    This has been a semi helpful thread. Semi because I'm looking for an EDC. Yet I have not carried a pocket knife since my youth when I was outdoors much more and there seems to be a bewildering amount of knives these days with attendant metallurgy.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Buy a sharpening fixture. Lansky or work sharp. It's a lot easier.

One day I will grow up and buy a wicked edge setup. For now, freehand for some blades and work sharp for others. Finish on leather strop.

The wicked edge is worth the investment.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is Hogue knives. They are very well made. Usually in 154cm steel.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I’m partial to Benchmade folders and carry this bugout daily.
    457d510f028049d021da59a52bd994b7.jpg

Am waiting for the updated miniBarrage to release and will add that into the rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EDC the exact same knife.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    The wicked edge is worth the investment.
    When I bought mine, it was early on, and cost much less than it does now.

But, that doesn't change the fact that the Wicked Edge system is probably the quickest and easiest way to take just about any knife (of blade style, length, steel, etc) and make it truly razor-sharp.

The system allows you to sharpen the edge in a precise way that's 100% repeatable (same fashion, each time), minimizes the amount of steel removed, and is completely safe for the blade. (Won't damage heat treating, or chip the blade)

You can easily set new angles, reprofile an edge, grind out chips, fix a broken point, etc.

So, that's a long way of saying that I agree with the gentleman from Howeird County.
    :)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    When I bought mine, it was early on, and cost much less than it does now.

But, that doesn't change the fact that the Wicked Edge system is probably the quickest and easiest way to take just about any knife (of blade style, length, steel, etc) and make it truly razor-sharp.

The system allows you to sharpen the edge in a precise way that's 100% repeatable (same fashion, each time), minimizes the amount of steel removed, and is completely safe for the blade. (Won't damage heat treating, or chip the blade)

You can easily set new angles, reprofile an edge, grind out chips, fix a broken point, etc.

So, that's a long way of saying that I agree with the gentleman from Howeird County.
    :)
    ......so you agree with boats that I should sack up and buy one. Haha. I've gotten to use one and it is VERY nice.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    OP, all blades can be sharpened, as mentioned a few times.

Kershaw is good stuff for the price, but many of us have moved on. For an edc, I think you're better off spending a bit more for something like a Benchmade or Spyderco. I really like one-handed closing, so the axis lock or Spyderco compression lock are my favorites. Sog has a knockoff axis lock, and the terminus is a great knife, but it's a little rough at first.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    OP - if you’re ever in frederick, there is a knife store at the corner of Market and 2nd which was a reasonably broad selection of many of the brands discussed. Sean,the owner, is a true knife nerd and very helpful. His store is called Edgeworks.

I’ve long been a fan of spyderco, and still have several, but the benchmade Bugout wins given its light weight and the smoothness of the scales - just wish the blade wasn’t coated as I prefer a satin finished blade

If you like to mod a knife, spyderco has a wide range of after market options and as mentioned up thread, LynchNW makes a deep carry clip for many models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I’m reading so figured I’d chime in. I switch between a couple Para3’s and a mini Adamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom