• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Get a Savage 24 or the new 42. 22lr/.410 is good but the old 24 came with a lot more options.

Springfield Armory M6 Scout is a good gun. They came in 22/410 and 22 hornet/410 (which I thought was a better choice for a survival gun). I like the shotgun option in a folding combo gun. Small game, defense, and if you got desperate, mid-larger game. Not sure what these go for now, or even if you can find them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I know defense is definitely a consideration in a survival situation, but I am really just looking for a takedown for survival hunting and to occasionally use to practice target shooting.

That brings a lot of other options, when I think survival gun I think is it packable for field work where every oz is an oz less water. Hence my suggestions.

Some additional options include:

Papoose already mentioned, they are nuts accurate I have two of them and they are a favorite (blued and stainless). They should have no problem at your price point.

Rossi 62 pump .22 if you can find one, they take down and are small in the carbine.

However a top option might be the Classic Savage 99 or 1899, you should be able to find a takedown in .30-30 (common caliber, the others are obsolete and need reloading) for less than about $700. They are a little thick for packing down the appalacian trail but nice around the board. My 99 in .300 savage is one of my favorites, Jury is still out on my 250-3000 as it may be stretching cases. Ill probably resume my hunt for one in .30-30 (Father has a couple) after 10/1

If you are just looking for something compact to car camp, probably a good lever gun carbine as originally suggested is as good of option as any.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Springfield Armory M6 Scout is a good gun. They came in 22/410 and 22 hornet/410 (which I thought was a better choice for a survival gun). I like the shotgun option in a folding combo gun. Small game, defense, and if you got desperate, mid-larger game. Not sure what these go for now, or even if you can find them.

$600 to $800 in decent condition in gunbroker, which is why I would pencil them out.

I have a NIB one tucked in the back of my safe, wanted one in Hornet but too rick for my blood.

Ragtopman

Feb 22, 2013
    Waldorf MD
    I like my AR-7. Plenty accurate and it hasn't jammed once. Totally self-contained with three loaded mags ready to go. Just toss it and a .22 brick in the pack and go!

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater

M6 scout is the gun I would pick also, the are no longer made but you can find one for $400-900. It all depends on the condition of it. The only down side is that it has a small pin needed to assemble the stock to the barrel and in the wrong situation it could be lost and the gun useless unless you can rig it some how

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I looked at the 10/22 takedown and liked it. However, I stuck with a folding stock version, often found cheaper, only a few inches longer, all parts interchange (the takedown barrel can't be swapped out like the std model) and I can shoot the folder folding if needed, plus, it's faster to put into action.

Again, the takedown is nice but wasn't worth the extra cash to me.

jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    I looked at all the suggestions and only like the Savage 24, Springfield M6 Scout, and Rossi Matched Pairs. Unfortunately, the first two are no longer being manufactured and are too expensive. I like the matched pairs, but wish I am not sure I would like a single shot rifle.
    So far I think I am still leaning towards the Ruger 10/22.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Why not an AR? Take down length is less than 10 inches off the 10/22 takedown and you know ammo will be not be scarce.

Good up close and at distance. Also has widely available interchangable parts.

Exactly what I was thinking other than price. If you are concerned with weight get a carbon fiber one from Bushmaster and put a thin barrel on it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    An M&P15-22 would be a better choice than an AR-15 due to simplicity and weight savings, especially ammo weight savings.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I love my 10/22 takedown. It shoots very well and the back pack is very nice. I like the fact that it uses much of acc. Of the standard seem to work with it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its a shame the takedown market isnt more robust. As noted above I really really want one of these

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=534191&family=003C

But like you they are way too much cash for a 30-30 Winchester. Though in its defense takedowns in rifle calibers take some real machine work to be solid. Though I could probably find a good condition original for htat.

One other option that hasnt been mentioned is the Kel-tec Sub 16. AR mags, AR caliber............packs relatively flat

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/su-16c-2/

Like all things Kel-tec they can be a bit hard to find but a lot easier than the Sub2000's.

BTW you can still get the savage .22 over .410 http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ but its ugly. A quick trip to gunbroker will give you more options, they are not hard to find guns.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Survival, that is the key word. While the AR-7 ( I use to own the Charter Arms version) is kind of cool, I would definitely choose the Ruger 10/22 over it for it's accuracy, quality of build, and durability. Back to survival, guess where you are or plan to be while surviving would dictate the type of firearm you choose. I think a better option would be an AR or Mini-14/30 platform, just would feel a lot better having more hitting power than a .22LR offers. Or better yet, I would be happy with my Marlin 1895GBL, especially when the word "survival" is mentioned.

ArchAngel78

Feb 28, 2010
    M6 scout is the gun I would pick also, the are no longer made but you can find one for $400-900. It all depends on the condition of it. The only down side is that it has a small pin needed to assemble the stock to the barrel and in the wrong situation it could be lost and the gun useless unless you can rig it some how

I have wanted one of these for years. Awesome gun but the availability/price has always kept it on the back burner.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I'd also have a serious look at the Handi rifle. They come in a million calibers, are small, light weight, inexpensive, and fun to shoot. I have one in 300 Blackout and love it.

blackoutwscope_zps2acd945e.jpg

Last edited:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I looked at all the suggestions and only like the Savage 24, Springfield M6 Scout, and Rossi Matched Pairs. Unfortunately, the first two are no longer being manufactured and are too expensive. I like the matched pairs, but wish I am not sure I would like a single shot rifle.
    So far I think I am still leaning towards the Ruger 10/22.

Savage is now making the model 24 as the model 42. It only comes in .22/410 has a synthetic stock and sells for about 425.

Not quite as useful as the.22/20 model 24 but about 200 dollars less

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom