• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The advantage of a .22 over larger calibers is in taking small game for food. Hit s squirrel with a .223 and you won't have much left to eat. :)

Instead of a takedown or similr, why not get a pack that will carry a regular rifle? Like some of the offerings from Eberstock or similar? They have packs designed to carry a full sized sniper rifle.

Another thought for dual use is a AR-15 with a .22 conversion. .223 for larger game and defense, .22 for small game.

Maybe a nice underbarrel 12 gauge. Like the grenade launcher, but smaller for birds.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Survival, that is the key word...

guess where you are or plan to be while surviving would dictate the type of firearm you choose.

i think this should be a pretty important consideration. is it a "i got lost in the woods while camping" type situation? did a natural disaster forced you to leave your house quickly? natural disaster forces you to STAY in your house? economy collapses and hunting is now the main means of feeding yourself... your family.

zombies? aliens? etc... :thumbsup:

i think the .22 ammo weight is only a huge factor if you're survival is dependant on mobility.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    If money is not an issue, I would recommend the FN Five Seven. The round is small enough not to destroy your food (depending on the round) and there are you tube videos claiming accuracy up to 250 yards with recoil the same or less than a 22.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    What is the take down procedure for this?

After I took the photo, I replaced the takedown bolt with a bolt with a knob on it; the threading is the same as a camera's tripod mount, so finding a bolt that fit was extremely easy.

The bolt holds the foregrip in place (it's just behind the front sling stud.) You break the gun open, take the bolt out, the foregrip comes off, and you "unhook" the barrel from the receiver. It takes about 20 seconds.

The whole thing fits perfectly in a Skinner Scabbard roll bag type "folding takedown" case. Packed up, it's ~19"x5"x4", and has space for the scoped gun, AAC 762SD suppressor, and 50 rounds of ammo (each has their own compartments.) Very low profile. I even have a sling with quick detaches that work as a carry strap for the case.

Fld_Tkdwn_5.jpg

Keep in mind, the gun is tiny. It's a very compact package with enough power to easily take a deer or other medium game and with 220gr bullets, it's quieter than a pellet gun.

[YT]3gfK0nyLYVg[/YT]

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    As far as survival, for hunting I have no problem with .22. But for defensive purposes, due to it's range, size and the experiences I have had with hammer stikes and no bang, I would not bet my life on it. AK with folding stock is my choice. Mnaybe not light, but you can hunt with a .30 cal, fend off bad guys, and I'll make the kids carry the ammo if they want to come along. If weight is an issue, maybe an AK74. Maybe I am just too biased, but for me, I can't place my life in a .22 rimfire, sorry. Bear in mind, of course I wouldn't want to be shot with a .22 either, but call me crazy. For critter hunting I would be fine with a .22. As mentioned, the Keltec is a light, folding rifle, but I never felt 100% I could trust my life with it. I hope you find something you like.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Love it! :party29:

After I took the photo, I replaced the takedown bolt with a bolt with a knob on it; the threading is the same as a camera's tripod mount, so finding a bolt that fit was extremely easy.

The bolt holds the foregrip in place (it's just behind the front sling stud.) You break the gun open, take the bolt out, the foregrip comes off, and you "unhook" the barrel from the receiver. It takes about 20 seconds.

The whole thing fits perfectly in a Skinner Scabbard roll bag type "folding takedown" case. Packed up, it's ~19"x5"x4", and has space for the scoped gun, AAC 762SD suppressor, and 50 rounds of ammo (each has their own compartments.) Very low profile. I even have a sling with quick detaches that work as a carry strap for the case.

Fld_Tkdwn_5.jpg

Keep in mind, the gun is tiny. It's a very compact package with enough power to easily take a deer or other medium game and with 220gr bullets, it's quieter than a pellet gun.

[YT]3gfK0nyLYVg[/YT]

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I would venture a guess that the best survival rifle depends on the application it is most likely to be used for...the Henry and Ruger are awesome...on the other side, Mossberg and Remington make shotguns that come in water-tight tubes...if you need something capable of defense, small game, medium game, and large game, a shotgun with a pistol and shoulder stock, maybe with a smooth and rifled barrel, stored with bird, buck, and slugs, could potentially be a good fit. The Mossberg isn't much and it has their marine coating. A Remington 870 is easy to piece together, doesn't cost much, and has legendary reliability. However, if weight is an issue then it may not be practical. IMHO, something like a 10/22 and a shotgun together would be better than just one although I imagine due to weight it may not be possible.

MDcompetition

Anti-poacher
    MDS Supporter
    May 8, 2013
    Baltimore, MD.
    Why not an AR? Take down length is less than 10 inches off the 10/22 takedown and you know ammo will be not be scarce.

Good up close and at distance. Also has widely available interchangable parts.

Absolutely correct. And, that as you already know is why the AR platform is so wildly popular. Simplicity of design, availability of parts and lots of inexpensive ammo. And, as stated, the 5.56 NATO round is devastating at close range, but it can still take down the baddie at more than a hundred yards accurately. Maybe that is why there is such a political rush to ban it into oblivion.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I honestly think that if I wanted one single, lightweight gun that I could pack anywhere and use both for subsistence hunting and defense in a pinch, I would get that Savage model 42. You have both a small shotgun and a .22 in one. You could carry a fair bit ammo for it easily. I would buy a small number of those defensive loads for the Judge and a whole mess of .22 and .410 birdshot/buckshot for it.

It is going to be small, light and easy to carry. In a survival situation, concealing it is normally not an issue, so I wouldn't care about breaking it down that much.

I don't own one myself, and though I thought about buying one, I decided against it. It is expensive for what it is and doesn't do anything particularly well. Hunting - it is a single shot with very basic sights - practical accuracy at best. Defense? Well it is better than nothing but with nothing more than a .410 it is underpowered and good luck reloading it under stress. It should allow you to take small game and some birds, but a lot of compromises there.

I decided I would be much better off taking my Marlin 60 and XDm 9mm compact into such a situation, in the very unlikely event it occurred. The Marlin is frighteningly accurate with optics and I have found it to be dead reliable. Anything close in and I have a high capacity pistol that would run circles around the Savage.

Basically, unless you absolutely have to bring only one gun, it is going to be much better to have two. I think that pairing a smallish handgun with a rifle is a great way to go.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I honestly think that if I wanted one single, lightweight gun that I could pack anywhere and use both for subsistence hunting and defense in a pinch, I would get that Savage model 42. You have both a small shotgun and a .22 in one. You could carry a fair bit ammo for it easily. I would buy a small number of those defensive loads for the Judge and a whole mess of .22 and .410 birdshot/buckshot for it.

It is going to be small, light and easy to carry. In a survival situation, concealing it is normally not an issue, so I wouldn't care about breaking it down that much.

I don't own one myself, and though I thought about buying one, I decided against it. It is expensive for what it is and doesn't do anything particularly well. Hunting - it is a single shot with very basic sights - practical accuracy at best. Defense? Well it is better than nothing but with nothing more than a .410 it is underpowered and good luck reloading it under stress. It should allow you to take small game and some birds, but a lot of compromises there.

I decided I would be much better off taking my Marlin 60 and XDm 9mm compact into such a situation, in the very unlikely event it occurred. The Marlin is frighteningly accurate with optics and I have found it to be dead reliable. Anything close in and I have a high capacity pistol that would run circles around the Savage.

Basically, unless you absolutely have to bring only one gun, it is going to be much better to have two. I think that pairing a smallish handgun with a rifle is a great way to go.

Thats always my issue, if you werent worried about CCW type lawas a Ruger 22/45 lite (or otherwise) would do the job efficiently and without displacing a lot of gear. My Mk III is like shooting a laser.

Being forced into a rifle/carbine takedown just adds uncessary weight for long term packing. So unless you are on the hunt why? If you are care camping just get a 16" barrel carbine in something useful.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Here is one that hasnt been covered, thats about as light as it gets. Frankly this is sort of what I envisioned the M6 becoming if someone had the time and machines to really re-engineer it with low weight materials for the purpose it was built. A throwback to the marbles trapper/pack guns.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/chiappa-little-badger-folding-rifle-22lr-16979-shipped

l_littlebadger_0_0.jpg

Certainly cheap enough to give a try and a lot easier to pack than an AR7. I might have to give one a try myself.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Here is one that hasnt been covered, thats about as light as it gets. Frankly this is sort of what I envisioned the M6 becoming if someone had the time and machines to really re-engineer it with low weight materials for the purpose it was built. A throwback to the marbles trapper/pack guns.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/chiappa-little-badger-folding-rifle-22lr-16979-shipped

l_littlebadger_0_0.jpg

Certainly cheap enough to give a try and a lot easier to pack than an AR7. I might have to give one a try myself.

:thumbsup: Great looking 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom