• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilot7576

Aug 13, 2009
    8lbs of powder gives you a uniform measurement for reloading...16lbs of the same lot gives you even more consistency when reloading...and that leads to safer reloads and more reliable ammo...

Pilot7576

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It's not only storage limit. It's a possession limit. You break the law as soon as you have more than five lbs. The people you break it into "smaller lots" for are now breaking it because they don't have it in the original container, also part of the code.

That is how it seems to be written, but don't understand how the fire marshal would have any jurisdiciton until you took it into a structure.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    That is how it seems to be written, but don't understand how the fire marshal would have any jurisdiciton until you took it into a structure.

I think this is a wonderful theory to put to the test.

Stand outside of the FM offices with an 8lb jug in each hand and chant "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, I'm not in a structure!"

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Well, you're saying that police used selective enforcement on him because he didn't bend to their will. Overlooking the fact that powder restrictions are the purview of the fire marshal, that there is a lot of noise about the sale of smokeless powder after the Boston bombings (even they they didn't use smokeless powder, and that other businesses have had similar visits before either the Boston bombings and approval slow downs, I assume you don't believe they simply came in and took everything away that someone legally possessed without a violation. So I ask again, not necessarily of you but of the people that think businesses can legally sell more than 5lbs of powder at a time, what do you think he was doing wrong?

what they were doing was wrong in the eyes of the law but in the eyes of their customers they were doing what the customers wanted. he would not have had powder he was not selling sitting around. hell they rarely had the same powder between my visits so i would have to get what i wanted when i saw it in there. personaly i dont believe in limits on powder anymore than i do ammo or guns, but alas the state sure does.when they want to limit things for our safety it opens up too many doors to suit me.

as for the fire marshals, i have been dealing with them on a regular and steady basis for 32 years at my job. dont think they dont get orders from above. when you have problems with them or catch them in the wrong you are directed to the office of the govenor to talk about it. we all know how much love our govenor has for us.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    what they were doing was wrong in the eyes of the law but in the eyes of their customers they were doing what the customers wanted. he would not have had powder he was not selling sitting around. hell they rarely had the same powder between my visits so i would have to get what i wanted when i saw it in there.

While he may have not had the same powder twice, go back and read what another member posted about the amounts.

personaly i dont believe in limits on powder anymore than i do ammo or guns, but alas the state sure does.when they want to limit things for our safety it opens up too many doors to suit me.

Like I've said in pretty much all of these threads, I think the 5lb limit actually makes reloading less safe.

Having 100s of pounds of powder sitting outside of a magazine is just plain reckless no matter who you are and at the very least is putting you in risk of having your insurance company deny your claim if there's a fire.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    While he may have not had the same powder twice, go back and read what another member posted about the amounts.

Like I've said in pretty much all of these threads, I think the 5lb limit actually makes reloading less safe.

Having 100s of pounds of powder sitting outside of a magazine is just plain reckless no matter who you are and at the very least is putting you in risk of having your insurance company deny your claim if there's a fire.

i have been there and seen a pallet full of powder sitting there. i am sure it would bother their insurance company much more than it bothered me. i just wish he had 8lb containers of what i wanted when i was there. i agree that having larger containers and batches makes reloading safer but we live in the nanny state of md so........

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    I think this is a wonderful theory to put to the test.

Stand outside of the FM offices with an 8lb jug in each hand and chant "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, I'm not in a structure!"

That is a great mental image, and I just got a good chuckle out of that...

Just a thought from a different perspective than usual. Not trying to sway anyones thoughts or thought process, so take it for what it is worth to the reader.
    Most of the time powder stores that aren't adhered to during emergency situations (eg: your house is on fire) just sayin :), is where they get the rules and regs for powder storage. NFPA 495, is the guideline that the Fire Marshals use to come up with what are safe ammounts. I am sure as a business they have to follow rules and regs set by the AHJ to comply with insurance regulations.
    It is really no fun to have rounds start popping off while you are inside trying to put a fire out and then that little light comes on and ya ask, where is the powder?????

Think Safety when dealing with powders, if not yours then the safety of responders coming to help in the event of an emergency. Most rules and regulations in my line of work have been written in blood.
    Not a sermon, just a thought.

Thanks for reading.

Firebug470

Mar 8, 2013
    You do realize that the Fire Marshall has no jurisdiction when it comes to your house. They can only over see private businesses and can not enter a dwelling without consent or a search warrant. Once inside they can not cite you for any findings, unless, it a criminal offense. So you really have to be on the radar in order to have a fire marshall show up at your door.

cdpuser

Dec 24, 2012
    You do realize that the Fire Marshall has no jurisdiction when it comes to your house. They can only over see private businesses and can not enter a dwelling without consent or a search warrant. Once inside they can not cite you for any findings, unless, it a criminal offense. So you really have to be on the radar in order to have a fire marshall show up at your door.

Is it a criminal offense to have more than 5lbs of powder in MD?

Do you have to open your storage container without a search warrant?

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Is it a criminal offense to have more than 5lbs of powder in MD?

Do you have to open your storage container without a search warrant?

in a literal sense sure. Lots of What ifs are built into that question. Fire Marshals aren't going door to door saying let me see your powder stores!!!!!

And no you don't have to consent to a search with out a warrant. If they have one means they have a case to start with and you have been watched for a while. I don't think they are gonna get that warrant for the 5 pounds and 1 ounce of powder.

Be Smart and use common sense that usually prevails. Just remember coffee is hot and don't pour it into your crotch at the drive through......

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    That is a great mental image, and I just got a good chuckle out of that...

Just a thought from a different perspective than usual. Not trying to sway anyones thoughts or thought process, so take it for what it is worth to the reader.
    Most of the time powder stores that aren't adhered to during emergency situations (eg: your house is on fire) just sayin :), is where they get the rules and regs for powder storage. NFPA 495, is the guideline that the Fire Marshals use to come up with what are safe ammounts. I am sure as a business they have to follow rules and regs set by the AHJ to comply with insurance regulations.

Dang, I was so hoping for another strawman when I saw a new response to this thread.

As to what FMs use, the NFPA (the last I knew) says 20lbs in a box with 1 inch thick wood sides attached to a wall, for residences. Which is 4 times what Md. allows is you are only storing smokeless or BP.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i yearn for the old times. until 1982 when i went to work "up the road" the only licensing we knew of down here in southern md ,at least where i am from, was for your car,boat or to drive or work on the water. we didnt agree with them much at that time either.

now you must "need" a license to wipe your ass in this state. and after oct. 1 i must be licensed to purchase firearms.wtf

now some seem to want licensing for powder. when will it stop?

a license is no more than a tax and enforcement of said is just tax collecting.

that must be ok with most everyone here since they just seem to comply , in one way or another.

this is becoming a bad state due to most everyone capitulating.what a shame.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    i yearn for the old times. until 1982 when i went to work "up the road" the only licensing we knew of down here in southern md ,at least where i am from, was for your car,boat or to drive or work on the water. we didnt agree with them much at that time either.

now you must "need" a license to wipe your ass in this state. and after oct. 1 i must be licensed to purchase firearms.wtf

now some seem to want licensing for powder. when will it stop?

Did you read any of this thread or just the first guy who seemed to think that this was a part of SB281?

that must be ok with most everyone here since they just seem to comply , in one way or another.

this is becoming a bad state due to most everyone capitulating.what a shame.

[PLOINK]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom