• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    Looks like a Walther P22 and a Taurus Millennium had a one-night stand and we have this abortion... I'll hold my breath until these get out on the market. One benefit of the MD Handgun roster is by the time things are approved we usually have some idea what reliability/durability is, at least in a short term. Cheap guns tend to be pretty disappointing when first released, as far as I know.

The true bargain guns tend to get sorted out over time. If a company is still making an inexpensive gun after 10-20 years you know it's selling well enough to stick around. All these big name companies churn out things to please the current market situations, IMO. I wonder how JMB would feel to see his pistol still so popular today. Technology advanced pretty rapidly during his lifetime (black powder arms to smokeless powder and automatic small arms), I doubt he thought it would stick around so long.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    meh ... the only "improvement" I can see is adjustabl rear sights. The P22 at least is already threaded. If it was easier to assemble than the P22 maybe, but that is not one of Ruger's fortee. Rather buy a 22/45.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I have been searching for a used 22/45 and then I saw this. Made me rethink for a bit but then I came back to my senses....I think I'll stick with the 22/45.

.... Cheap guns tend to be pretty disappointing when first released, as far as I know.

The true bargain guns tend to get sorted out over time. If a company is still making an inexpensive gun after 10-20 years you know it's selling well enough to stick around...........

So, then Jennings/Jiminez, Davis or Lorcin's must be outstanding guns, then, huh?!?!?

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    I tell you, at that weight, if it proves reliable and easy to clean, it's going to put the MkIII (Luger clone) out of business.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I tell you, at that weight, if it proves reliable and easy to clean, it's going to put the MkIII (Luger clone) out of business.

I don't agree. To me the Mark III is a target pistol. This looks like almost a trainer for their SR series centerfires.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Ruger website says the slide material is aluminum.
    The press release says it, too. Unfortunately, it's fairly common to alloy zinc with aluminum, so the question is more "how much aluminum is there?" I could see a fairly unscrupulous product manager ordering the peons to stress the aluminum and leave off "alloy". Not technically incorrect, just very misleading.

I'd also question how good of a trainer this pistol actually would be for an SR9. The action mechanism is rather different - the SR22 is DA/SA, and the SR9 is safe action / partially-cocked striker - and so malfunction handling will be different. If the primer fails to go off in the SR22, you have the option of pulling the trigger again... if the primer fails to go off in the SR9, you MUST rack that slide.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I don't get it - KelTec doesn't make a .22lr semi-auto pistol.

J/K.... looks an awful lot like the Walther. I wonder how much is shared in common between the two - whether it's purely cosmetic, or more functional as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom