• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    ^This

..and just use sparingly. Just don’t do like the some folks here do; and run it like you recovered it from the Exxon Valdez oil slick (excessively lubricated). :nono:

For a pistol no, my ARs all get run wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    As others have said, I lightly grease rails.

In addition to rotating parts, I try to leave a thin film of oil on anything made of carbon steel as a rust preventative.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Look in your manual, I seem to remember a section of the slide they say NOT to lube.
    My 509 is my first striker fired and I'm amazed by how little rail there is on the frame. My SIGs, HK & Berettas all have full length rails on the frame.
    Any quality synthetic gun oil is fine for most people. Some people just use motor oil.
    Any particular weight? 10W40, 15W30,...? Buy a quart and save tons of money over specialty gun oil.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Someone on YouTube said he likes grease on his carry handgun due to it not running down into his clothes. Is this not an issue if you don’t overdo it?
    Kinda of a benefit if it runs into your clothes. Smelling like Ballistol will attract the right kind of woman.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    My 509 is my first striker fired and I'm amazed by how little rail there is on the frame. My SIGs, HK & Berettas all have full length rails on the frame.

Any particular weight? 10W40, 15W30,...? Buy a quart and save tons of money over specialty gun oil.

As far as motor oil, I’ve never personally used it on a firearm. Others may chime in but there are a couple good threads here somewhere mostly AR related that talks about lubrication including motor oil. Mobil One synthetic I believe. Not sure about weights.

I was just trying to say IMHO, just about any of the modern synthetic gun lubes out there will work for most users. No need to drive yourself crazy. Some may have specific requirements if in a very hot or very cold climate.

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    Over-oiling won't hurt anything... except your hands, your clothes, the bench at the range, the inside of the case, etc. LoL.

I tend to use the grease only when assembling stuff.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Grease for what?
    Lube it down with CLP or Ballistol, put it back together. Wipe the run off from the outside, go shoot.
    Your once or twice a year cleaning, spray it down, brush the feed ramp, make sure there's no goop in the extractor, pipe cleaner along the rails. Spray it back down and put it together. Wipe off the excess, go shoot.

Lubing is important, cleaning isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom