• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which trigger spring kit would you prefer to see?

• Total voters

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    We're in the process of hammering out the details for a house-branded Joe Bob Outfitters Nickel Boron Trigger and LPK.

Prices for the NiB battle trigger will be approx $44.95 (give or take a little).

Prices for the NiB battle trigger & LPK will be approx $74.95 (give or take a little).

These will be available for an introductory price saving approx $5-10 on the trigger/LPK when we do get them in stock initially. We'll send out a newsletter and post up on MDS if/when this occurs.

These prices should be very competitive we think.

We're looking at potentially offering the following springs (would apply to both the trigger and LPK, and we'd ideally only have (1) option available for logistical purposes).

Let us know which spring kit (or equivalent) you would prefer to see in a drop-in Nickel Boron Battle Trigger Kit:

1: Standard springs. Approx 6.5lb trigger pull
    2: JP Reduced Power Springs-(Will add ~$8 to the cost)
    3: JP reliability Enhanced Reduced Power Springs (Will add ~$8 to the cost)

We might also source similar quality and weight trigger pull springs if we can for a lower price to try to keep them in the same ballpark of price as noted above.

Please voice your opinion on the market feasibility at this price point based on comparable triggers, and where you feel the trigger pull weight would ideally be. This is going to be a battle trigger, with similar geometry as a standard trigger.

It'll never be a 3LB Timney, but we ideally want it to fit most everyone's needs at a great price point. The problem with the reduced power springs is SOME customers could have light primer strikes with some 5.56, or 7.62 surplus or hard primers. Some people have issues with rimfires and light power springs as well. IF you've had such an occurrence, please let us know what combination of ammo/upper/FCG & springs you had so we know for sure what to be on the lookout for. We've heard of the most issues being with 7.62x39 and surplus ammo.

Everyone who does the poll, make sure you post stating you did so. Once the poll has concluded we'll give away (3) of these battle triggers to 3 random MDS members who give feedback. You must post below so we know who did the poll in order to give out the triggers. IF for some reason these don't come to fruition, we'll give the 3 random members $40 in store credit each.

The poll will most likely end by Friday. We should have enough feedback at that point, along with having things worked out with suppliers, to know how we're going to proceed. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    JoeBob I am anxiously waiting for your LPK, if it has an ambi safety in it I may need to buy 4-5.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Honestly, I'd be likely to buy them all. I would like to see the jp enhanced springs, but truth is, I think it would be great kit with gi springs to.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    JoeBob I am anxiously waiting for your LPK, if it has an ambi safety in it I may need to buy 4-5.

Currently we don't plan on offering it with an option for an ambi safety.

We have the ability to make an "enhanced" kit, but the problem is everyone wants something different. I personally don't like an Ambi safety, so buying a complete kit, in my case, where I'm forced to buy an Ambi safety, or billet trigger guard, or ergo grip, etc is less than ideal.

We're thinking a kit such as this is inexpensive enough, plus a decent trigger, to allow the consumer decide if he wants to upgrade the grip, ambi safety, etc, but the standard LPK + NiB trigger should start off a good build economically.

I forgot to mention. These will be available for an introductory price saving approx $5-$10 on the trigger/LPK when we do get them in stock initially. We'll send out a newsletter and post up on MDS if/when this occurs.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Being a reloader using CCI Military 5.56 primer's, I'd go with a standard spring kit just to play on the safe side.

I'd be interested in trying out a NiB trigger, I already have standard trigger and a Geissele SSA-E, so a single stage NiB interests me.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I voted for the enhanced spring for the fact that I've been thinking of buying one to try in my AR. I'm likely to buy one of these kits regardless of the springs because I've been interested in a new trigger for a bit. Thanks for letting us know about these! I'll keep my eye on this.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You guys always have great pricing and CS. I dont think either of these deals are a bad option.

What I have found is that some Primers wont light off on the Yellow JP Spring Kits, so I often use the heavier JP Springs to avoid this if a customer dosent have alot of time to test the gun for a wide range of ammo. I also have found that using the Trigger Return Spring and Disconnector Spring from the Yellow Kit, and the Hammer Spring from the Enhanced Kit yields the best Trigger Pull and Reliability compromise but this is a option many will view as "Too Costly"

Theres a fella here on MDS that Makes Adjusters that are 1/3 of the cost the adjusters brownells sells. These adjusters make any trigger stand out and make NiB triggers amazing. Stocking them will be a good sell with any NiB or Std FCG your store will sell. I have a video of how to install and use the adjuster. Heres the Adjuster Brownells sells: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=307/Product/AR-15-M16-DROP-IN-TRIGGER-ADJUSTER

Heres the one that a MDS Member Manufactures that on par, if not better then the Brownells Unit: http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=8889

A NiB FCG, the right Springs, and an Adjuster will give a customer a better trigger than most very expensive aftermarket Triggers will, BUT you maintain Military Reliability with the options listed above for MUCH less.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I would personally spend a couple $ more if you provided the option to add both spring kits along with the standard one in a LPK so I can try them out myself.
    (Hopefully these LPKs are available soon...my nickel boron BCG just showed up yesterday and it looks incredible...thanks Joe Bobs Outfitters!!)

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    I hit the poll and selected the reduced power springs. I'm currently running them in two ARs and have not had an issue with light primer strikes. However, it's a risk I well aware of, but I'm also willing to experiment with different springs if it ever becomes an issue. If you only offered them with standard springs, it would not affect my decision to purchase at least a couple of these.

As for the trigger pull weight, if you can get them in the 4.5 - 5.5 lb range, I think that would be ideal. Chad (Clandestine) did a trigger job on one of my ARs and it's in that range, and I've got Spike's and ALG triggers in my other ARs with JP springs that are in that range as well.

At the price point you are proposing, I think you will be very competitive in the marketplace. Your two biggest competitors would likely be Spike's ($56.95) and ALG ($65), and you are planning to come in substantially below them. I think these will be a homerun for you.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Great idea and deal. I vote for the standard springs also but I do really like the jp springs and the adjuster from the mds member.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

wjt1169

I voted for the standard spring only because you'll do better keeping the cost down the 8 bucks. If guys really want the other spring options, they'll buy the other springs. When customers start looking for a good price on a LPK, they won't take into account that yours is slightly more for the improved springs....just my 2 cents.

I can't wait to see this from you guys either way! Good work!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First of all, the description for these springs claims you're only supposed to use them with JP triggers. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it isn't, you might rethink the description.

Second, why not just provide options for both standard JP springs and light JP springs? As Lord Chad has pointed out, there are reliability issues with light JP springs that will make them a so-so choice for some builds. But the standard JP springs should give a much more consistent pull weight than the generic springs that normally come in an LPK.

Third, clandestine had the right of it: a trigger adjuster like mch28's (and some good directions) would add quite a lot to the deal, even as an option. You should definitely also ask JP if they'd be willing to do a special run of the spring set that Chad suggested. You don't just want to sell a NiB trigger, you want to sell an out-of-the-box tuned FCG. :) If you can get something like that for $60-$70, which is an entirely reasonable price for what you're describing, it will FLY off the shelves.

In any event, I'd be in for two with standard JP springs or Chad's suggested mix. (Already have three of mch28's adjusters, but I'm special.)

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    I do enjoy my spikes nib triggers.

That being said my lpk preference would include an enhanced trigger guard magpul polymer is fine, an ambi safety, and no pistol grip. I'd say no pistol grip since there are a lot of options with different preferences, type and color.

Dunno what the feasibility to having a combo deal set up, where you could get a basic kit, and then pick the augmenting parts of your choice, ie pistol grip, kns pins. As I'm most likely going to consider ordering Some of those when I purchase a lpk.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I voted standard springs as well. Reliability over all else for me.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I voted JP reduced springs. I run them on two of my AR's and they have proven reliable with Wolf, Military, Federal and Blackhills.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I agree with the standard spring. That way you cover all the bases and if someone wants to experiment later they can get the lighter spring. jmo. I would also be in for at least 2.

I also like the idea of the tuned out of the box combo that Chad had said he does. That would be killer!! So to speak.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Joseph as You know I have ordered about 6 Nib Kits from You and like them a lot,I think Your thoughts are very much in line with the shooters here! I look forward to continued great service and pricing from You.I voted and do appreciate Your Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom