• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Does nobody reload 40 brass or is it just that not a enough people reload it ans always get tons of range pick ups?

I have A LOT of 40 and would love to trade it for calibers I trade more but never seem to see much action on 40 on the brass trade thread. Just curious why this is.

And yes im prepared for all the its gey comments but Im honeslty curious.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Does nobody reload 40 brass or is it just that not a enough people reload it ans always get tons of range pick ups?

I have A LOT of 40 and would love to trade it for calibers I trade more but never seem to see much action on 40 on the brass trade thread. Just curious why this is.

Steve

It is one of the most common range pickups...right next to 9mm....I have at least one 5 gallon bucket full of 40 S&W...I will never be able to reload it all..

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    See thats just it I need or could use 9/45 and always keep 223/308 but Ill never use all the 40 unless I decide to shoot ispsa and pick 40 :-)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Strictly a guess, but I think the people who load .40sw likely have all the brass they can stand. Some save what they shoot. Others will find 9mm, 40sw and 45acp as range pickup, and usually in that order of prevalence if what I see at my range extends elsewhere as well. Then there are guys who won't fool with 9 or 40 or .223 for that matter, given what they see as the value of their time.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Strictly a guess, but I think the people who load .40sw likely have all the brass they can stand. Some save what they shoot. Others will find 9mm, 40sw and 45acp as range pickup, and usually in that order of prevalence if what I see at my range extends elsewhere as well. Then there are guys who won't fool with 9 or 40 or .223 for that matter, given what they see as the value of their time.

I am a cheap bastard...I reload EVERY caliber I have...except for 22lr of course...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I know that there was (maybe is) an issue about not using brass that had been in a Glock. Something about the chamber not being fully supported and the brass could bulge. Since the G22/ G23 and G27 may well be a large segment of the .40 handguns out there, it could play a role.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am a cheap bastard...I reload EVERY caliber I have...except for 22lr of course...

Why not? Me too. I enjoy it, and cost savings or otherwise, rolling your own has it's other rewards.

You know, funny with brass too. As recently as 3 years ago, pistol and rifle brass both was gold for more than a few people. Runs in cycles like many things. People tend to have short memories sometimes. Until they get burned that is. So hold onto whatever you have. It doesn't eat. Today's seeming trash has a funny way of becoming tomorrow's treasure.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Why not? Me too. I enjoy it, and cost savings or otherwise, rolling your own has it's other rewards.

You know, funny with brass too. As recently as 3 years ago, pistol and rifle brass both was gold for more than a few people. Runs in cycles like many things. People tend to have short memories sometimes. Until they get burned that is. So hold onto whatever you have. It doesn't eat. Today's seeming trash has a funny way of becoming tomorrow's treasure.

Indeed....I completely agree...I am one of the biggest brass whores at AGC for this reason...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Steve

Depending on the calibers you want, we might be able to work something out.

If the caliber you want are something I don't have, we can talk clams or simoleans, depending on what you call them.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    40 is very heavily reloaded by USPSA shooters and to a lesser extent 3 gun folks, who will run very large numbers. There are great gains to be had from reloading 40 which make it a very desirable target round: it can be loaded as soft shooting or softer than 9x19 while knocking down steel much harder, and very easily loaded to major power factor without the potential hazards of 9 major, more mag capacity than 45, and nowhere near the brass and powder cost of 38 Super. Those who use those advantages often load 20,000-30,000 rounds a year or more.

However we aren't the biggest chunk of the reloading market so that only goes so far. The Glock chamber concern is a real issue and known to most, and perhaps to some a deterrent.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Isnt the glock issue only if you are loading hot rounds?

My only glock is a 9mm. My wife has xd in 40.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Isn't the glock issue only if you are loading hot rounds?
    No, it affects all of them. A bulged base happens from any loads being run in an unsupported chamber. If you then reload the bulged brass without straightening it out, then try to run it in something, it won't chamber correctly and go fully into battery, thus a very irritating and nasty jam. It takes forcibly racking the side back, sometimes beating the slide open on the side of a wood table to get it open. VERY annoying problem but easily solved with sizing the case fully down with Lee or EGW dies as step 1 of the reloading process, checking the first couple with a case gauge, and then running them all through a Lee Bulge Buster at the end of the batch. A case gauge is HIGHLY recommended, or at very least plunk testing them with your barrel to verify.

If you've ever been screwed by it once you sure learn to avoid it the second time. It is embarrassing as all heck to have a bulged round jam stop you cold in a match stage and a serious possible DQ for muzzle or trigger finger trying to clear the SOB.

Quite honestly it's rather instructive as to know to watch for it with other calibers too--some chambers are known to be either somewhat on the tighter side of the cartridge spec tolerance or looser, Glocks being thought to be on the generous side even in the 9x19, whereas they say CZ's are on the tight side and some 2011's even more so. Using a Lee FCD and then gauge afterwards is something I always do for all my autoloading pistol stuff, 9x19, 380, 40, and 45.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I know how to fix them i meant long term is there an issue with blowing a case?

I have seen the glock bulge but never had an issue cambering. I know someone who had to get a die because his gun wouldnt chamber them.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    There most certainly can be issues with the cases. Depends on the bulge.

Buy a 40 barrel for that Glock 20, load to 1.26" OAL, and you've got 10mm with basically free brass.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've got 3000 of them waiting for me to buy more primers and bullets. I used it in USPSA Limited division. It's a great round out of specific guns. It's "snappy" with polymer framed pistols designed for the 9mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom