• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I know how to fix them i meant long term is there an issue with blowing a case?

I have seen the glock bulge but never had an issue cambering. I know someone who had to get a die because his gun wouldnt chamber them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Hard to say. I suppose it could mean you get 5-6 loadings out of a case instead of 10+, but you'd have to be loading the same couple hundred brass pieces over and over consecutively to know, which would mean you'd have to be retaining your brass 100% every time which I know I don't. If you've got a big enough pool of brass to where you're rotating it around and adding/losing some here and there all the time then at least it would take a long time before you had that issue surface. I'm not aware of many if any who load .40 hot for any reason, if anything the idea is entirely the opposite, to load it as gently as possible just barely to cycle the gun and if necessary just over power factor. A lot of people who shoot 9 and claim to absolutely hate .40 because of the pressure and recoil probably haven't shot anything other than factory ammo which is made with the idea of cycling anyone's gun it can possibly be in.

As you pointed out and I think a lot of us have our experience tells us, it pretty much grows on trees so there's little reason not to have piles of the stuff in your inventory to mitigate the wear issue should there be any notion of there being one.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I've got 3000 of them waiting for me to buy more primers and bullets. I used it in USPSA Limited division. It's a great round out of specific guns. It's "snappy" with polymer framed pistols designed for the 9mm.
    I know a great place for lead pills let me know you are looking.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I know that there was (maybe is) an issue about not using brass that had been in a Glock. Something about the chamber not being fully supported and the brass could bulge. Since the G22/ G23 and G27 may well be a large segment of the .40 handguns out there, it could play a role.

I recall in the early G22 and G23 pistols, the bottom of the chamber wasn't fully supporting the case(s), and there were some reported issues.

I've got a G23 Gen3 and haven't had any problems/issues with it.

A pillowcase sized bag of .40 brass 'fell' into my truckbed a couple of years ago.

The bag weighed about 90 lbs. :D

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I recall in the early G22 and G23 pistols, the bottom of the chamber wasn't fully supporting the case(s), and there were some reported issues.
    IIRC, it gave the .40 a bad reputation as having a greater than normal incidence of KB's vs. other calibers which stuck for a number of years.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

I've got a G23 Gen3 and haven't had any problems/issues with it.

A pillowcase sized bag of .40 brass 'fell' into my truckbed a couple of years ago.

The bag weighed about 90 lbs. :D

This, the feed ramp dimentions were changed after early gen 3s, before then 40, 10 and occasionally 45 would bulge in a "smiley". My late gen 3s and 4th gens have as much if not more chamber support than several other brands, and never had a problem reloading several thousand rounds. The chamber is still on the loose side, so brass expands more, and takes more work to size, might crack a little earlier too, although if you inspect cases it's safe. Just be careful with unknown range pickups, but "smiley" brass from an early model is easy to spot.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    If running reloads in Glocks was a problem, gen 1 and 2 in .40 excluded, 25% of USPSA and 30-40% of IDPA and I don't know what % of multigun shooters would be having a LOT of problems. Something tells me that I'd have had 4000-5000 problems out of my G34 gen 3 if it were a problem, and Blue Bullets, Black Bullets International, Bayou Bullets, and a few other companies whose coated bullets came about EXACTLY BECAUSE people run reloads through Glock barrels would have stopped existing or at very least lost 30-50%+ of their business. The plated bullet and then the poly coated bullet was invented because bare cast lead couldn't or shouldn't be run through polygonal barrels, and guess what gun's barrel it was that they had in mind.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Since so many are chiming in what's your powder of choice for the fotay?

I have bulleye, unique, and 700x for the 45 and 9mm. Would prefer not to get any additional powders.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Been thinking about trying out ipda honestly and while the 9mm glock prob makes more sense I shoot my wifes xd in 40 better.

I have dreams of building a 1911 in 9mm but need money for that :-)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I know that there was (maybe is) an issue about not using brass that had been in a Glock. Something about the chamber not being fully supported and the brass could bulge. Since the G22/ G23 and G27 may well be a large segment of the .40 handguns out there, it could play a role.

I reload 40 (USPSA Limited Major) and run all of my brass through a Redding "bulge" die before it goes into the 650. (After reloading, I was rejecting ~5% because of "the bulge")

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/35...e-sizing-die-kit-40-s-and-w-357-sig-10mm-auto

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I have bulleye, unique, and 700x for the 45 and 9mm. Would prefer not to get any additional powders.

Win 231 and Winchester truncated cone 165 gr FP boolits.

I forget the exact load. (Don't want to recite something, and have it be incorrect.)

It is pretty darned accurate, and runs right at 1100 fps.

The boolits:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...mm-auto-400-diameter-165-grain-truncated-cone

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

I run AA#7. 8.9 gr behind a 155gr Missouri bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom