• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Sorry to post in this forum - I still don't have access to WC.

I am a "card-carrying" member of the NRA, and as a result, I get frequent mail from them to re-up.

I want to put it to you guys (and gals) - is the NRA still considered a good gun rights organization? A couple of years back there were scandals regarding their spending ($1,000 + suits, for example) on the member's dime, and they've been through some crap not of their making, as well.

But there are other gun rights orgs out there, and they seem pretty scrappy. Is NRA still the 800lb gorilla, or are the glory days gone? If the latter, what org to join? Any opinions?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    But there are other gun rights orgs out there, and they seem pretty scrappy. Is NRA still the 800lb gorilla, or are the glory days gone? If the latter, what org to join? Any opinions?

MSRPA

FPC

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    MSI comes to mind as an organization that is far worthier of MD gun owner dollars.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Ok, I'll look into it. Thx. Any others?
    Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is a good one at the national level.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is a good one at the national level.

I'll check that one out, too. Thx!

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    The only reason I am still a member of the NRA is that I paid for a Life Membership years ago. I would suggest you spend your money on the various other gun rights organizations previously mentioned. Wayne LaPierre is out at the NRA, but his hand picked successor and board members are still running it, so unfortunately, nothing has changed.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    The only reason I am still a member of the NRA is that I paid for a Life Membership years ago. I would suggest you spend your money on the various other gun rights organizations previously mentioned. Wayne LaPierre is out at the NRA, but his hand picked successor and board members are still running it, so unfortunately, nothing has changed.
    I had a feeling that might be the case. Once an org is used to the gravy train, hard to get off. Like the RNC.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    this ^^

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Sorry to post in this forum - I still don't have access to WC.

I am a "card-carrying" member of the NRA, and as a result, I get frequent mail from them to re-up.

I want to put it to you guys (and gals) - is the NRA still considered a good gun rights organization? A couple of years back there were scandals regarding their spending ($1,000 + suits, for example) on the member's dime, and they've been through some crap not of their making, as well.

The truth is that the NRA is still doing more than any other organization.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The truth is that the NRA is still doing more than any other organization.

****Nationally, no question. They are by far the most well known gun rights organization there is - *nothing* else comes close. Ask the average person on the street if they have heard of the NRA (good or bad) - and the NRA has far more name recognition than any other organization of its type. I teach a variety of firearm classes to beginners mostly and virtually *nobody* knows what MSI or SAF, FPC, etc.. or other similar organization are but all of them know the NRA and have a decent idea of what they do in a general sense.

Maryland is not exactly a pro gun state and the MGA has been doing everything possible to keep its citizens from being able to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. The NRA has limited funds to fight battles and in some respects it makes no sense to invest a ton of money by them into long drawn out and expensive legal battles in our small state when they can better focus nationally on bigger issues related to education, firearm safety, and national level legislative action vs small liberal state (like Maryland) issues which are a money sink with little overall ROI for the money spent. The NRA's/ILA people do help in Maryland but we are a state of only 6 million people in a country of 350 million. It's simple Cost/Benefit analysis.

I'm a Life Member, or whatever the higher common donor level is (Patron, of whatever), and am a certified NRA Instructor and RSO that has had well over 1000 people come through our programs at the range I teach out of. Plenty of other organizations out there, but the NRA has a decent curriculum (not without problems) to help educate people on Firearm Safety and they have good materials available for instructors that are easy to order and use under their auspices to help more people become proficient in firearm safety, and their use.

I personally think it is an invaluable organization, and I donate and have donated *well* above whatever the Life Member or (Patron?) level is $$$ wise because IMO they have BIG money stacked against them, and if they go down I think it would be a *huge* loss to the firearm industry in general as well as the average citizen gun owner in the US.

Yes yes I donate to other organizations as well but to me the NRA is absolutely the top dog amongst all other similar organizations in terms of name recognition and legitimate influence on Capitol Hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom