• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    No, you're mistaken again. There is no requirement for anyone to know everything. The information is available for you to read at your convenience.

Have a nice day.
    If you aren't aware of the litigation to which your organization is a party, you are derelict in your duty as a board member.

Shameless. Be gone.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Life member here. One of the main reasons I joined was because of competitive shooting. The majority of matches were NRA. That seems to have been changing over the last several years, with the CMP taking a huge portion of what used to be NRA. We said for years, that LaPierre had to go. The board has it's good 'ol boy network as well. I personally know some highly qualified people that tried to get elected to the board and they had huge support from members. The board backed their own interests instead. As far as I know, you still have to be a member of a State Association (think NRA) to be able to compete and have scores count at the nationals, regionals and state championships.

The NRA has a history of backing litigation that they know have an excellent chance of winning. The NRA has also donated to politicians that are well known anti's.

Hopefully the NRA will reorganize and endure under new leadership, because they are the 800lb. gorilla in the room when it comes to lobbying for the 2A.

OP, you can opt out of all those mailers requesting donations that seem to be without end. When it comes to standing up for our rights, nothing beats being there in person, like in Annapolis.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Life member here. One of the main reasons I joined was because of competitive shooting. The majority of matches were NRA. That seems to have been changing over the last several years, with the CMP taking a huge portion of what used to be NRA. We said for years, that LaPierre had to go. The board has it's good 'ol boy network as well. I personally know some highly qualified people that tried to get elected to the board and they had huge support from members. The board backed their own interests instead. As far as I know, you still have to be a member of a State Association (think NRA) to be able to compete and have scores count at the nationals, regionals and state championships.

The NRA has a history of backing litigation that they know have an excellent chance of winning. The NRA has also donated to politicians that are well known anti's.

Hopefully the NRA will reorganize and endure under new leadership, because they are the 800lb. gorilla in the room when it comes to lobbying for the 2A.

OP, you can opt out of all those mailers requesting donations that seem to be without end. When it comes to standing up for our rights, nothing beats being there in person, like in Annapolis.
    Very nice reply. You used to hear about the NRA fairly regularly, usually something negative on the MSM, but not anymore. Not sure how to interpret (misinterpret?) that.

I told someone else I need to do more research. Seems obvious that's what needs doing. I have a number of great suggestions. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    The NRA backed our national WIN in NYSRPA v Bruen.

The NRA backed MSI and MSRPA in the win (injunction) against SB 1.

The NRA supported MSI in the HQL lawsuit, I believe.
    I "supported" those decisions too. Can everyone give me money?

I'm not looking for the alledged biggest gun rights organization to play a supportive role, they should be front and center. I'm just saying it's way more effective to cut out the middle man and give directly to MSI, FPC, etc. Your dollar will go WAY farther as they don't embezel the money like the NRA does.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    As long as politicians and gun grabbers are publicly crying out that they hate and fear for the future of America because of the NRA then they are a worthwhile group worthy of our money

Do I think there are better, or at least locally better, groups who deserve our money? Yes

Msi
    Goa

Just to name 2

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I realize NRA has saved our bacon but stopped helping pay for Wayne's lavish lifestyle a decade or so ago.
    I feel that if leadership came clean with supporters and made a concerted effort to show things will be different going forward, I might rejoin. Till then, SFA gets my "donation."

Beebs

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    Southern MD
    Sorry to post in this forum - I still don't have access to WC.

I am a "card-carrying" member of the NRA, and as a result, I get frequent mail from them to re-up.

I want to put it to you guys (and gals) - is the NRA still considered a good gun rights organization? A couple of years back there were scandals regarding their spending ($1,000 + suits, for example) on the member's dime, and they've been through some crap not of their making, as well.

But there are other gun rights orgs out there, and they seem pretty scrappy. Is NRA still the 800lb gorilla, or are the glory days gone? If the latter, what org to join? Any opinions?
    Just joined. Honestly, want to support the NRA, but the magazine subscription, the tac bag and the discount didn't hurt lol.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    I just learned that Palmetto State Armory is active in supporting gun rights.

I don't know if other gun manufacturers do the same, but I definitely admire and support this.

Matter of fact, Palmetto has the rep of marketing reasonably priced ARs and so forth. They are bringing the guns to the people, so to speak. Something else to admire about them.

A company like that deserves support.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Just joined. Honestly, want to support the NRA, but the magazine subscription, the tac bag and the discount didn't hurt lol.
    Someone else on this thread pointed out that the NRA's legal arm is separately managed and funded. That would be the NRA-ILA. Maybe that's the one to fund.

But funding the NRA is not a bad choice, IMO. I would hope that they have learned their lesson by now. Their membership/donation rate has plummeted (although still seemingly healthy) from their highs, and that has to be largely due to the stories of their lax spending. The RNC is going through that right now.

Strong leadership would nip that attitude towards grifting in the bud. Too bad NRA didn't have that.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    No your not, you're paying for his $17 million retirement deal. Personally I'd rather he take the $1000 suits.
    Just read this. Wow! (and not in a good way).

Now obviously AG Letitia James went after the NRA for political reasons, but she picked a plump duck to slaughter with the NRA.

And who remembers this?

Former NRA President Oliver North says he was ousted after he raised concerns about corruption within the organization

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Despite its self-inflicted problems, the NRA still provides necessary services, and pulls weight. Firearms education, lobbying, and the NRA-ILA (legal branch) are necessary and functional.

Being an Endowment Life member, I'm pleased that I don't have to pay dues, which support stuff that is outside its necessary and proper organisational function. Once they address the cronyism problems at the top, and do something to reduce the absurd size of their Board of Directors - which renders actual housecleaning impossible - I'll be glad to send them more money. It may happen in what remains of my lifetime.

Meanwhile, MSI, FPC, SAF, GOA and JPFO all get some funding from me, as they seem to be leading the charge successfully, and with more fervor than the NRA at this time.
    NRA-ILA was and is a supporter that has a presence in MD General Assembly.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I "supported" those decisions too. Can everyone give me money?

I'm not looking for the alledged biggest gun rights organization to play a supportive role, they should be front and center. I'm just saying it's way more effective to cut out the middle man and give directly to MSI, FPC, etc. Your dollar will go WAY farther as they don't embezel the money like the NRA does.
    Prioritize the groups and donate accordingly.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I just learned that Palmetto State Armory is active in supporting gun rights.

I don't know if other gun manufacturers do the same, but I definitely admire and support this.

Matter of fact, Palmetto has the rep of marketing reasonably priced ARs and so forth. They are bringing the guns to the people, so to speak. Something else to admire about them.

A company like that deserves support.

Yep and they also ask if you want to support goa with each purchase

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Pretty good article on the Gun Owners of America:

As the NRA fades, a more zealous US pro-gun group rises as a lobbying power​

But I have a question. I've been searching for any evidence of an apology from NRA to its members for its frivolous and wasteful attitude to donated money, and I'm not seeing one. Anyone know of such an apology? I think it would go at some distance to repairing confidence in the NRA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom