• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Is there a 2A win in the last 5 years where the NRA was the legal team suing? I've not seen anything in a while. The FPC and other grass roots groups on the otherhand...
    "Indirectly" a huge one. Bruen. NYSRPA is the "official NRA-affiliated State Association in New York" per their website.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The anti-gun organizations are applauding the retirement of Wayne LaPierre. Hillary Clinton has stated that the NRA is one of her greatest adversaries.
    The NRA is too big to fail, the driving force to defend your gun rights.
    The state and other governments are using your tax dollars to fight us.
    The bottomless pockets of the government are going to take smaller organizations bankrupt.
    Side with Hillary or NRA?
    MSI and other organizations has done us greatly but we need to stand together and not look for reasons to discredit the NRA.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Despite its self-inflicted problems, the NRA still provides necessary services, and pulls weight. Firearms education, lobbying, and the NRA-ILA (legal branch) are necessary and functional.

Being an Endowment Life member, I'm pleased that I don't have to pay dues, which support stuff that is outside its necessary and proper organisational function. Once they address the cronyism problems at the top, and do something to reduce the absurd size of their Board of Directors - which renders actual housecleaning impossible - I'll be glad to send them more money. It may happen in what remains of my lifetime.

Meanwhile, MSI, FPC, SAF, GOA and JPFO all get some funding from me, as they seem to be leading the charge successfully, and with more fervor than the NRA at this time.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    If not for the NRA we would not have any guns! We would not have a shooter's forum.
    My Uncle pulled me aside when I was in my early twenties and said "I don't know how you feel about guns, but it is your right to have and use them. Don't let them take that right away."

Good man, my Uncle.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Despite its self-inflicted problems, the NRA still provides necessary services, and pulls weight. Firearms education, lobbying, and the NRA-ILA (legal branch) are necessary and functional.

Being an Endowment Life member, I'm pleased that I don't have to pay dues, which support stuff that is outside its necessary and proper organisational function. Once they address the cronyism problems at the top, and do something to reduce the absurd size of their Board of Directors - which renders actual housecleaning impossible - I'll be glad to send them more money. It may happen in what remains of my lifetime.

Meanwhile, MSI, FPC, SAF, GOA and JPFO all get some funding from me, as they seem to be leading the charge successfully, and with more fervor than the NRA at this time.
    Thank You, well spoken!

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I'm hopeful that the new heads will try to get back to the original charter. I know this is naive but there are still good people out there.
    V

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    So it's interesting..... Unless this has changed in the past few years (which is possible I haven't kept up).

If you're a NRA Life Member or Annual member your dues almost certainly do NOT go towards any gun rights. The NRA is not chartered for lobbying. The NRA is set up primarily for its education, scholarships, publications and competitions.It goes back to the late 1800s. Also, if you make a donation to the NRA, those donations don't go to the lobbying arm of the NRA.

The National Rifle Association - Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) was formed almost as a direct result from the GCA-1968. They share a building and Wayne LaPierre is in charge of it, but it's almost a seperate entity from the NRA entirely.

I know a lot of things changed after the "purge" from the BoD and several others in leadership positions were expelled North (BoD) and Cox (ILA) were purged. I don't know if the ILA and NRA were restructured into one entity.
    It's something worth looking into to see how it's structured presently. I know several years ago when Cox was in charge of the ILA, it was well funded and managed and when there was all that press concerning the NRA going bankrupt that didn't apply to the ILA-NRA. It would continue to go on business as usual.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    So it's interesting..... Unless this has changed in the past few years (which is possible I haven't kept up).

If you're a NRA Life Member or Annual member your dues almost certainly do NOT go towards any gun rights. The NRA is not chartered for lobbying. The NRA is set up primarily for its education, scholarships, publications and competitions.It goes back to the late 1800s. Also, if you make a donation to the NRA, those donations don't go to the lobbying arm of the NRA.

The National Rifle Association - Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) was formed almost as a direct result from the GCA-1968. They share a building and Wayne LaPierre is in charge of it, but it's almost a seperate entity from the NRA entirely.

I know a lot of things changed after the "purge" from the BoD and several others in leadership positions were expelled North (BoD) and Cox (ILA) were purged. I don't know if the ILA and NRA were restructured into one entity.
    It's something worth looking into to see how it's structured presently. I know several years ago when Cox was in charge of the ILA, it was well funded and managed and when there was all that press concerning the NRA going bankrupt that didn't apply to the ILA-NRA. It would continue to go on business as usual.
    WLP is now gone. Not in charge of NRA and can no longer influence the subsidiary ILA.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My Uncle pulled me aside when I was in my early twenties and said "I don't know how you feel about guns, but it is your right to have and use them. Don't let them take that right away."

Good man, my Uncle.
    I was 18, I registered with Selective service at the PO
    Reigistered to Vote in High School. Ronald Reagan got my R votes.
    Went to Towson State my first year, Western Md College the next 3. Used to post pics of Browning Shotguns and Winchester, Remington, Ruger rifles and of course my St Pauli Girl poster, Dirtbike Pics, Rock n Roll Band posters.

All the essentials except for Farah.

Along with the pics of guns I hoped to get one day, I also signed up for the NRA. In the 70's the women had NOW, I countered them with NRA. It struck a nerve that even way back then, wackos were trying to take our rights away.

LOOK for me at the MSI booth Saturday Feb 3 1 pm at the Howard Co, gun show.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    NRA is a rotten husk of its former self. To the extent that the swamp exists, they are in the deep end of it.

Freedom weeps with the oldest civil rights group extant being corrupted.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    I was 18, I registered with Selective service at the PO
    Reigistered to Vote in High School. Ronald Reagan got my R votes.
    Went to Towson State my first year, Western Md College the next 3. Used to post pics of Browning Shotguns and Winchester, Remington, Ruger rifles and of course my St Pauli Girl poster, Dirtbike Pics, Rock n Roll Band posters.

All the essentials except for Farah.

Along with the pics of guns I hoped to get one day, I also signed up for the NRA. In the 70's the women had NOW, I countered them with NRA. It struck a nerve that even way back then, wackos were trying to take our rights away.

LOOK for me at the MSI booth Saturday Feb 3 1 pm at the Howard Co, gun show.
    I'm guessing that doesn't even begin to tell your story. :)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Is there a 2A win in the last 5 years where the NRA was the legal team suing? I've not seen anything in a while. The FPC and other grass roots groups on the otherhand...
    The NRA backed our national WIN in NYSRPA v Bruen.

The NRA backed MSI and MSRPA in the win (injunction) against SB 1.

The NRA supported MSI in the HQL lawsuit, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom