• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The historical age to have a firearm is at least 18 according to the Militia Act of 1792:

Link to The Four Boxes Diner skip to the 13:00 minute mark for the age for a militia member who is supposed to show up for duty with their own firearm and ammunition:

No nics background check to buy it though.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    In my mind, the only reasonableness is that if it is constitutional to age restrict firearms, and the answer is probably, then it is likely reasonable to age restrict ammunition. And thus okay to require a proof of age to purchase ammunition. That seems to be the only thing I can think of that might meet THT for ammunition restrictions.

THT, age restrictions on ammunitions or guns don't have a direct historical precedent on THEM specifically, but there is THT on rights in general being age restricted. Such as right to vote. Age to join the militia. Etc. THT would also likely mean, when you are old enough to vote, you are old enough to have all other rights accorded to you (so none of this 21 BS).
    I agree with all of this. I could see my way clear to a “we ID anyone under 40” sort of situation. But background checks for ammo seem a bridge too far (not that you suggested it.)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I agree with all of this. I could see my way clear to a “we ID anyone under 40” sort of situation. But background checks for ammo seem a bridge too far (not that you suggested it.)
    California all ready has a background check requirement for ammunition purchases and it has already been challenged in a court case.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agreed and I sure wouldn’t. Banning kids from having supervised access to guns or access with a hunting license to me is a huge no. But I see nothing wrong with generally restricting those under 18 from buying guns and ammo. Doesn’t seem unreasonable to require ID like for cigs or alcohol to prove you are 18 or older. Background check, no. Where is the historical tradition of that?

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Agreed and I sure wouldn’t. Banning kids from having supervised access to guns or access with a hunting license to me is a huge no. But I see nothing wrong with generally restricting those under 18 from buying guns and ammo. Doesn’t seem unreasonable to require ID like for cigs or alcohol to prove you are 18 or older. Background check, no. Where is the historical tradition of that?
    I guess my other concern would be any sort of tracking. For instance if the state required logging my purchase with ID (like when you purchase pseudoephedrine in a pharmacy) I would have a problem. They want to see my ID to confirm I’m old enough? Sure. If they want to scan it or record my license number…heck no.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    There isn’t one.

However, there aren’t any Constitutional Amendments regarding a right to Marlboros , Romeo & Juliet Cigars or Rolling Rock beer.

Same logic applies to the ole “you have to have a drivers license to own a car” BS that many bigots subscribe to.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Same logic applies to the ole “you have to have a drivers license to own a car” BS that many bigots subscribe to.

!?

Is that actually a requirement in Maryland…?

Seems like an odd requirement. What about vehicle collectors who do not drive? What about young people who buy a car to fix it up by the time they become legal age to drive?

Should a vehicle be owned by someone? Yes.

Should the owner be required to have a license? No.

Or is this the privilege vs a right discussion…?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Not only do you have to have a license in Maryland you have to have a license for that class a vehicle. To own a motorcycle in Maryland you must have a valid MD motorcycle license.

This law has been in effect for quite some time

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Not only do you have to have a license in Maryland you have to have a license for that class a vehicle. To own a motorcycle in Maryland you must have a valid MD motorcycle license.

This law has been in effect for quite some time
    To own it or to register it? There is nothing keeping someone without a license from buying a car or motorcycle and sticking it in their garage.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    To own it or to register it? There is nothing keeping someone without a license from buying a car or motorcycle and sticking it in their garage.
    But sadly there are laws in MD forbidding buying a car, more than one car, more than one motorcycle, and putting it in your driveway, your yard, your patio etc if it has no tags or insurance.

To me this is a crime of extortion. If I have " backup" cars for when my others may need repairs that are too pricey or time consuming to perform, I should be free to have them on my property without tags UNTIL they are repaired and the time comes to drive them again. This is when I need to get tags and insurance for them, and remove the same from the vehicles that need repairs.

Then as I get the one's repaired, I should be able to rotate whatever vehicles I own, just as long as I have the ones that see road use, properly registered and insured. BUT, our wonderful NANNY state, likes to hassle people who cannot afford garages or tags for more than 1 or 2 cars, 24/7 365. They deem the home owner as " operating illegal junk yards"

F.U. MD, FU, Forcing all drivers into non Cash for Clunker cars, or EV cars, etc etc.
    If I wanted to buy 10 cars in 1980 @ 1970's USED car prices when I turned 16, did so and kept them on hand as needed for use till I no longer can drive in 20 more years if I live till 2043, It should be my right to do so if they are on my OWN PROPERTY without them being housed in a building if I so choose.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    We have far more government than we need, and far more than many of us want.

This is, however, Maryland, the State of the Statists. Progs eat this sh!t up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But sadly there are laws in MD forbidding buying a car, more than one car, more than one motorcycle, and putting it in your driveway, your yard, your patio etc if it has no tags or insurance.

To me this is a crime of extortion. If I have " backup" cars for when my others may need repairs that are too pricey or time consuming to perform, I should be free to have them on my property without tags UNTIL they are repaired and the time comes to drive them again. This is when I need to get tags and insurance for them, and remove the same from the vehicles that need repairs.

Then as I get the one's repaired, I should be able to rotate whatever vehicles I own, just as long as I have the ones that see road use, properly registered and insured. BUT, our wonderful NANNY state, likes to hassle people who cannot afford garages or tags for more than 1 or 2 cars, 24/7 365. They deem the home owner as " operating illegal junk yards"

F.U. MD, FU, Forcing all drivers into non Cash for Clunker cars, or EV cars, etc etc.
    If I wanted to buy 10 cars in 1980 @ 1970's USED car prices when I turned 16, did so and kept them on hand as needed for use till I no longer can drive in 20 more years if I live till 2043, It should be my right to do so if they are on my OWN PROPERTY without them being housed in a building if I so choose.
    Yeah that’s there as much to keep people from having a bunch of junkers on blocks from sitting in your yard. Legally you can have all the unregistered, uninsured vehicles you want in a garage or barn.

My neighbor across the street has 8 cars sitting on their property. Three nearly new Caddies, an old Taurus I think I’ve seen driven a couple times in 4 years, a couple cars I’ve never seen driven (one on blocks in the carport). A box truck I think is a work vehicle I see there occasionally. Plus an old bel Air or similar 1950s rust hulk back by their barn near the side street.

It doesn’t bother me too much because it’s sort of out of sight from me as I am a long way from the road. Would annoy the heck out of me if I was the next door neighbor right next to them though.

The neighbor in front of me on the same side of the street had an old van parked almost on our lot lines. It wasn’t even theirs. It was the neighbor’s odd job guy’s girl friends. He parked it there “briefly” because of some stuff going on and there it sat for 9 months. The neighbor finally got him to remove it. I didn’t complain because after a couple months I knew the neighbor (in her 80s) was trying to get him to get rid of it from her property.

Another neighbor has an old grand Cherokee* sitting on the property line (their side though) that has not been moved in the >4 years I’ve owned this house. They also have a huge boat, a giant work trailer and one or two other cars sitting behind their house. Fortunately that’s about 150yds from my house and through some woods. I can see it all, but at least half the year it’s partially hidden by the trees and undergrowth. They also have an old 1970s RV in the driveway I’ve never seen moved, but I can’t see that from my house. By zoning, the RV is a no go also (can’t have permanently parked RVs unless they are parked in a structure).

It is unsightly and annoying, but not quite so bad because they are kind of far away.

Another neighbor does basically have a junkyard in their backyard. But it is screened by a lot of bamboo from us. I am sure it’s an environmental hazard leaking in to the nearby creek. Old riding mowers, tires, empty oil cans, batteries, one or two rusted out trucks on blocks, etc. sitting back there. I have t wandered over and peered through the bamboo recently, but I think they’ve been cleaning it up over the winter, so that’s something.

Yeah I hate HOAs and intrusive gov’t. Sometimes that crap exists because someone WAS a serious problem and that was the only way to deal with it. Same reason a lot of counties and cities have minimum requirements on keeping up a property so it doesn’t create a public nuisance. No one wants to live next to a jungle or a scrap yard. Like I said I said, it’s far enough I just deal with it, rather than calling the county and making a pest of myself. I still wish my neighbors would at least haul off the stuff that is pretty obviously never going to be restored and made running and cleaned up the crap probably leaking in to the creek.

*Ive lived in the neighborhood for over a decade. Pretty sure the Cherokee has been in the same spot that entire time, but I can’t swear to it. The RV has been there this entire time.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah that’s there as much to keep people from having a bunch of junkers on blocks from sitting in your yard. Legally you can have all the unregistered, uninsured vehicles you want in a garage or barn.
    YUP< BUT if I were DLT I could obviously AFFORD a GARAGE.

LOTS of issues in the past have prevented me from having a plethora of disposable funds for things like Garages or even Heat some times.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    YUP< BUT if I were DLT I could obviously AFFORD a GARAGE.

LOTS of issues in the past have prevented me from having a plethora of disposable funds for things like Garages or even Heat some times.
    I hear ya. That's why I am not hassling my neighbors. I don't know their circumstances and it isn't awful for me. So, I leave them alone. I'll admit if they were asses to me, I'd likely contemplate making some hay over it. I don't want to put up with an A-hole neighbor, and their rusty cars littering their yard. The only one I consider it with was the van sitting almost on the property line. The way the houses are setup, that meant I had a van sitting 30yds in front of my living room window in the grass at the back of the neighbor's 1.5 acres effectively in the front yard of my house. If it was sitting in their driveway, meh. But I knew she was trying hard to get the guy to get it out of there, so I am not going to create problems for my >80yr sweet and salty little old lady neighbor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom