• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Last month on one day there was a REALLY loud "rocket" noise. It lasted about 30~40 seconds. Started suddenly, really loud instantly & diminished slowly (seeming to be "going away") then stopped. This is in the Easton/ Cambridge area.

It wasn't a low flying aircraft not even even a really large one. I lived near Heathrow Airport & this was considerably louder & deeper-sounding than a Concorde takeoff if you've ever heard one.

It started to the East & seemed to go UP & Westwards.
    It was loud enough that I went outside to see what it was, but it was cloudy & so no visuals either time.
    I checked Wallops, even though it a fair way off, (approx 70 miles) but nothing was scheduled on either day.

I forgot about it till today, at 11:30, when it happened again, exactly the same, so it seems to be on a once-a-month schedule.
    Anyone had any idea what the heck it is?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****Hmmm..

Attachments

• F31228C4-8E8E-4D6C-BD92-BF49ACC29F05.jpeg
      F31228C4-8E8E-4D6C-BD92-BF49ACC29F05.jpeg
      11.7 KB · Views: 932

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Steam power plant relief valve testing?

I was about to post the same... I even checked google maps for factories or plants in that area.

Sounds like it could be a monthly test of a blow off valve for a steam or pressure vessel. It would start loud, then taper off. Echoes off houses/buildings might make it appear to start in one direction and finish in another.

Would have to be close by though.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Last month on one day there was a REALLY loud "rocket" noise. It lasted about 30~40 seconds. Started suddenly, really loud instantly & diminished slowly (seeming to be "going away") then stopped. This is in the Easton/ Cambridge area.

It wasn't a low flying aircraft not even even a really large one. I lived near Heathrow Airport & this was considerably louder & deeper-sounding than a Concorde takeoff if you've ever heard one.

It started to the East & seemed to go UP & Westwards.
    It was loud enough that I went outside to see what it was, but it was cloudy & so no visuals either time.
    I checked Wallops, even though it a fair way off, (approx 70 miles) but nothing was scheduled on either day.

I forgot about it till today, at 11:30, when it happened again, exactly the same, so it seems to be on a once-a-month schedule.
    Anyone had any idea what the heck it is?

Low and fast Jet Aircraft, coming out of Andrews to Dover.
    They had to get some Donepezil- Quick, over to Rehoboth.
    They just got turned around because they forgot the Lithium
    till they got straight.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Was there a launch from Wallups? Not sure if you’d hear those from your position, but that’s a real thing.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Nope, it was the first thing I checked. Mainly because I've heard a shuttle Launch at a friends place & that was pretty much what it sounded like.
    But no launch flame, no launch announcement & no visual.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I was about to post the same... I even checked google maps for factories or plants in that area.

Sounds like it could be a monthly test of a blow off valve for a steam or pressure vessel. It would start loud, then taper off. Echoes off houses/buildings might make it appear to start in one direction and finish in another.

Would have to be close by though.
    Not a lot of close by buildings here. Pretty rural area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom