• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I have read they have to stop searching when they find the item described in the warrant?

So would putting the frame in plain view on top of your safe (baring MD's juvenile safe storage laws, or using one of the multitude of cable locks we all have lying around) be the best course of action?

Yes, but good luck getting the thing disassembled while they’re pounding on the door.

Also keep in mind, that after a certain amount of time, no answer allows for kicking the door in. Also good luck being found with what looks like a gun in your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, but good luck getting the thing disassembled while they’re pounding on the door.

Also keep in mind, that after a certain amount of time, no answer allows for kicking the door in. Also good luck being found with what looks like a gun in your hands.

Thats when you toss it to the dog.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    This is just a lead in to the Biden administration making ordering any gun parts online illegal.

That won’t happen

It will if the Dems win both GA Senate seats. Schumer has specifically pushed this issue, and it's in one of the draft Dem House AWB bills. IIRC Schumer says he wants a background check for every firearm part "down to every last screw"(paraphrased, forgot the exact language).

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I have no love for registries at all, but IF one were to register one under this plan, at least the damned tax is waived.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I suddenly have a whole bunch of AR pistols.

Don't forget to order free fingerprint cards from their distribution center. Two cards at a time. For every firearm you might register.

And then mail them back one envelope per firearm. Keep USPS afloat at $1.20 per manilla envelope.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That won’t happen

You win!
    9IdRWZdC4iX_DkHIWC2I3cQE4Uk5nBFGkEEwpzHixu3nRrFijDpjw0G6IcvSxLqhuz33DZp_YhxmZKmh0Q06njZWkPOJIhRu_4VjopAssGvPURD8q0NiSdRDNCTsWEpEGZaxvIjcl1k

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

If they're coming for the ones purchased in shipments with complete magazine-to-barrel sets of parts, those few examples from a person's collection would be easy to sort out and store without their slides. When you want to go to the range, put them together.

A few frames is a much smaller loss than your safe door and whole pistols.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't usually post on this sub-forum, because... well, because. But I do follow it closely.

Everybody talks about how ATF is changing its rules. Regarding "80%" AR lowers, they've been pretty specific and consistent that solid and un-punched lowers are legal:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-“80”-or-“unfinished”-receivers-illegal

Does anyone know of past or present ATF guidance regarding "80%" pistol frames like the PF940CL -- not purchased as parts of kits? Asking, as they say, for a friend...

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I don't usually post on this sub-forum, because... well, because. But I do follow it closely.

Everybody talks about how ATF is changing its rules. Regarding "80%" AR lowers, they've been pretty specific and consistent that solid and un-punched lowers are legal:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-“80”-or-“unfinished”-receivers-illegal

Does anyone know of past or present ATF guidance regarding "80%" pistol frames like the PF940CL -- not purchased as parts of kits? Asking, as they say, for a friend...
    ATF used to allow 80% AR castings which had a hollow for the FCG (and being lower-end castings, you had to square up every surface imaginable...) but the buffer tube untapped and many other features undone, but I'm not sure when in the last 15 years they cut off those sales.

The issue is the definition of a handgun includes parts sufficient to assemble a handgun. Does that include a box with an 80% frame and all other components of a handgun, P80 says no, ATF has decided yes.

Polymer80 frames require:
    1) Four holes to be drilled (front rail pin, trigger pin, locking block, trigger housing)
    2) Recoil channel wall removed
    3) Blocks removed that prevent insertion of front and rear rail units (the rail units are unique to Polymer80 frames, on a Glock they're molded into the frame)

I haven't seen similar guidance to the AR lower for pistols. Other vendors with newer products sell their frames separate from the rail units and the jig to finish them.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The issue is the definition of a handgun includes parts sufficient to assemble a handgun. Does that include a box with an 80% frame and all other components of a handgun, P80 says no, ATF has decided yes.

True. But I was asking specifically about the PF940C pistol frames, sold or purchased alone.

I think I just answered my own question. I just checked Polymer 80's FAQs again, where they say that "...PF940C™ 80% Pistol Frame Kits were classified by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as not falling within the federal definition of 'firearm' or 'frame or receiver.'" I hadn't found on the ATF web site where ATF actually said that. But I just now saw that there was a link embedded in the FAQ, leading to this ATF letter:

https://www.polymer80.com/CMS-Images/ATF-DetLetters.pdf

That was a determination by ATF that the PF940C submitted was not a firearm. Fortunately for me. Of course, as ATF keeps pointing out, that doesn't necessarily cover other P80 "80%" pistol frames... or kits...

I do agree that non-firearms, in kits consisting of other parts that are also non-firearms, shouldn't comprise a firearm. But Federal agencies make legally-binding policy determinations all the time, within the framework of laws passed by Congress. See DoD regulations and directives.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    U.S.A. –-(AmmoLand.com)- Internal ATF documents obtained by the Gun Owners Foundation (GOF) and Gun Owners of America (GOA) through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request reveal that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), once again and, to no one’s surprise, has completely reversed its own internal guidance in order to prosecute Polymer80, a company that manufactures gun parts and other non-firearms such as 80% frames and receivers.

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/le...mer80/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)#axzz7OSCSrYxr

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    U.S.A. –-(AmmoLand.com)- Internal ATF documents obtained by the Gun Owners Foundation (GOF) and Gun Owners of America (GOA) through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request reveal that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), once again and, to no one’s surprise, has completely reversed its own internal guidance in order to prosecute Polymer80, a company that manufactures gun parts and other non-firearms such as 80% frames and receivers.

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/le...mer80/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)#axzz7OSCSrYxr

This is just another reason to fight this legislation.
    SB387/HB425 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom