• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    After recently getting a modern inline muzzle loader.

I have been seeing a new product called Power Belt bullets which is more expensive than a sabot.

Are they really better than sabots?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I couldn't get my powerbelts to group at all!!! I switched to the hornady SST bullets and cloverleafed, 100 times better.

Down side to the ballistic tipped bullets, I don't think I'm getting them to expand much with 100grs of powder. Might swtich to a non tipped bullet to get expansion.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a CVA wolf and to date, I have only shot it with White Hot Pellets (100g total).
    3 shot groups (cleaning between shots). I was able to group about 4" @ 100 yards with the Power Belts and 2" @ 100 yards with Traditions Smackdown SST. I tried both the HP and plastic tipped Power belts and made no difference. I was told to try different ones till I got something it liked. I may try the Power belts again and work up a more accurate load with loose powder over the summer but At least I have something workable right now for early Muzzleloader season next fall.
    Once I settlded on the Smackdown Sabots, I cleaned my rifle and then shot it cold. I adjusted the rifle then took home and cleaned and took it out again. After 3 trips, it hit within 1" of center each time so I was happy with that. Clean Cold bore shot tended to be a couple inches higher than if I would wet and dry patch the barrel and take another shot while warm. I"m sure there's a better process to picking the bullet but at least I know its good to go. I was actually impressed that it would do what I'm getting out of it.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I just buy the sabots separate and use pistol bullets. If you shoot 50 caliber you can get sabots that hold either 44 or 45 caliber pistol or rifle bullets. And they cost alot less money.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I personally prefer sabots. My T/C Black Diamond shoots very well with 200 grain shockwave sabots backed by 100 grains of pyrodex, just outside of 1 moa at 100 yards, more than accurate enough to get the job done. I've put down a lot of deer with that load, all clean kills.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    One word: JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Just one more item pushed onto the unitiated in the muzzle loading community.

They load really well by almost falling down the bore.

The problem is there is no real contact between the bullet/plastic ring thing and the bore.

When fired, it goes bing-bang-clinkity-clank-bouncy-bouncy down the bore and when it finally exits the muzzle, it goes who knows where.

If the deer you are trying to kill is in the next field or county over, the bullet may veer off course enough to hit it.

That said, try them if you wish.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    My experience with Power Belt bullets is to run away!

It has been 7 or 8 years since I last tried them, but I will never use them again unless I am required to use a full bore projectile (which I think is required in some states). Even then, they would be the last choice on my list. They shot OK out of my Knight but the performance was not satisfactory. Fortunately I recovered both animals after long tracking jobs. Compared to the Hornady XTP and Barnes Expander, in my experience, the PowerBelts just do not even compare. Other bullet/sabot combinations will give you much better performance and some even at a cheaper price.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My experience with Power Belt bullets is to run away!

It has been 7 or 8 years since I last tried them, but I will never use them again unless I am required to use a full bore projectile (which I think is required in some states). Even then, they would be the last choice on my list. They shot OK out of my Knight but the performance was not satisfactory. Fortunately I recovered both animals after long tracking jobs. Compared to the Hornady XTP and Barnes Expander, in my experience, the PowerBelts just do not even compare. Other bullet/sabot combinations will give you much better performance and some even at a cheaper price.

Plastic sabots and pistol bullets are the only way to go.

I converted an H&R .45-70 Buffalo Classic barrel to fire 209 primers.

Plastic sabot and a .40 caliber/180 grain Hornady XTP HP bullet.

Using 40 grains of Benchmark powder produces some wicked velocity.

Bambi never knew what hit it.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I say try them all to see what work best with your muzzle loader. I shoot power belts out of my muzzle loaders which are a older knight t-bolt and a encore. I can keep three shoot inside of a skoal can at hundred yards which is good for me cause the longest shot I got is 75 yards.

MDcanvasback

Jan 9, 2014
    Bear, DE
    Id keep away from Powerbelts.

My T/C Encore shoots 1" groups or less at 100 yards. I use Shockwave 250 gr sabots with 100 gr of pyrodex. Has put down countless deer, no reason to change

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Id keep away from Powerbelts.

My T/C Encore shoots 1" groups or less at 100 yards. I use Shockwave 250 gr sabots with 100 gr of pyrodex. Has put down countless deer, no reason to change

I concur. Powerbelts are not accurate in my TC Omega.

I use the same as MDcanvasback, except only 90gr of Pyrodex.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just got back from the range with the CVA Wolf.

The bottom line: Sabots are better than power-belts.

The CVA marketing machine must have a vested interest to push that product.

Thanks guys.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Glad you were able to find what works best in your gun.

What mix of goodies did you end up using to get her to shoot straight?

Powder, bullet, sabot type, etc...

It's sad that their product won't work in their guns.

At least you know now.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    100gr white hots or triple 7 powder. Both were okay.

The 245 gr power-belts were grouping horriblly at 50 yards. Sabot was much better, then walked out to 75 yards. Sabot is definitely a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom