Protecting Your Self From EMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Protecting Yourself From EMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No real need from the exclamation points but I don't want to feel left out.

Anyway, a while back there was a discussion about electronic locks on gun safes and EMP. In that one and another on the subject I suggested Faraday cages. I came across this article and found out some things I did not know (I know, I know, hard for me to believe as well).

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html

Last edited:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Anyway, a while back there was a discussion about electronic locks on gun safes and EMP. In that one and another on the subject I suggested Faraday cages. I came across this article and found out some things I did not know (I know, I know, hard for me to believe as well).

NEMP won't affect mechanical tumbler locks:)

However, I'll be pissed if I miss "The Young and the Restless."

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    So I need a large metal box to keep my electronics in . . . This sounds like a great reason to get another gun safe :D

MikeTF

Ultimate Member

I have an electronic lock on my gun safe and it has a keyed backup in the event the electronics fail.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Get educated. 2 high altitude bursts fired from both coasts will do some real damage. All the house-sized electronic transfer station transformers could be fried. Long lead time to get them replaced. Guess where they are manufactured? CHINA!

Read the official report at:

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

There is also concern that a Corona Mass Ejection from the Sun would cause the same problem. At least, you would have one to two days warning.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    There is also concern that a Corona Mass Ejection from the Sun would cause the same problem. At least, you would have one to two days warning.

I think it was back in 1859 (? Maybe) and a massive solar discharge hit the Earth causing telegraph poles and lines to arc and spark. Just imagine what would happen nowdays with cellphones, sat TV, GPS, etc, aside from the power stations. If I recall, in the 90's part of Canada was knocked out by a solar discharge. As far as EMPs, I had a page saved on my old computer of a university that tested 30 cars on a EMP simulator. Only 2 were knocked out of usability but were repairable. A few others had minor electrical problems like radios, navigation systems, but most were still drivable. Most cars are pretty well hardened since the ignition system puts out a lot of RMF noise. I had a whole bunch of EMP stuff saved on my old PC, I'll try to find it. As far as in a SHTF scenario with an EMP, it was suggested a Geo Metro would be better than a big zombie crushing SUV as likely gas pumps would be down. Even Rosco Bartlet warned of the potential effects and likelyhood of an EMP attack on our nation. All it takes is a rouge freighter with a medium range missle close enough to our coast with and EMP generating device like a crude nuke and we're back to the 1800's. I was really into the EMP scare craze a year or two ago. But I'm crazy, we all know the alien invasion will be our downfall.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Read the book called "One Second After" It is about life after an EMP. We would go back to life as it was in the 1800's. It talks about how people delt with food, medicine, technology, firearms, etc. It was a quick read and very scary. I highly recommend this book!

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    Like nuclear winter, EMP attacks are seriously delusional. I was standing on top of nuclear cratters out at Nevada Test site last month. I havent grown a 3rd hand or nut.

EMP attacks can happen but the thought of a Mass bomb taking out half the US is ludicrous. More fear Mongering

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Like nuclear winter, EMP attacks are seriously delusional. I was standing on top of nuclear cratters out at Nevada Test site last month. I havent grown a 3rd hand or nut.

EMP attacks can happen but the thought of a Mass bomb taking out half the US is ludicrous. More fear Mongering

Uh huh,

Starfish Prime caused an electromagnetic pulse which was far larger than expected, so much larger that it drove much of the instrumentation off scale, causing great difficulty in getting accurate measurements. The Starfish Prime electromagnetic pulse also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 1,445 kilometres (898 mi) away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link. The EMP-damaged microwave link shut down telephone calls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

As to being a nuclear tests sites, there's just a tiny difference between visiting one 60 years after the fact and being there minutes after the test. As some servicemen were.

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    They wernt there 3 minutes after the test. The smoke collum would have suffocated them... Did get to see the trenches where they stood. Crazy.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Read the book called "One Second After" It is about life after an EMP. We would go back to life as it was in the 1800's. It talks about how people delt with food, medicine, technology, firearms, etc. It was a quick read and very scary. I highly recommend this book!

+1. Good book. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom