Protecting Your Self From EMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Read the book called "One Second After" It is about life after an EMP. We would go back to life as it was in the 1800's. It talks about how people delt with food, medicine, technology, firearms, etc. It was a quick read and very scary. I highly recommend this book!
    Excellent book! EMP threat should scare the Hell out of everybody.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thread revival:
    Since we are now reporting in mainstream news that COVID came from the Wuhan lab in Chyna, I see this as a pivot to a war footing in our relations.

EMP question about a NIB gas powered generator... If an EMP fries the generator, what spare parts should I have on hand (and possibly have disassembled) in case the bomb goes pop so I can replace the parts?
    Don’t leave it hooked up. EMPs basically only impact long conductors like power lines. Testing in the 2000s found modern computer controlled cars subject to EMP levels similar to an upper atmospheric EMP at worst caused some of them to stall. And could be immediately restarted.

Microwaves can fry electronics. EMP to be strong enough to do that means you are in the blast radius of the bomb and have bigger things to worry about.

Stuff plugged in at the time might get fried from overvoltage on the mains.

But a generator only buys you hours or days. With most of the grids distribution reduced to choad, no fuel distribution either. So what you’ve got is all that you’ve got.

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Don’t leave it hooked up. EMPs basically only impact long conductors like power lines. Testing in the 2000s found modern computer controlled cars subject to EMP levels similar to an upper atmospheric EMP at worst caused some of them to stall. And could be immediately restarted.

Microwaves can fry electronics. EMP to be strong enough to do that means you are in the blast radius of the bomb and have bigger things to worry about.

But a generator only buys you hours or days. With most of the grids distribution reduced to choad, no fuel distribution either. So what you’ve got is all that you’ve got.
    2 hours in the evening, 2 hours in the morning is enough to keep the freezers frozen.
    hooked to a 500 gal propane tank,,, that will get you 6-12 months.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    2 hours in the evening, 2 hours in the morning is enough to keep the freezers frozen.
    hooked to a 500 gal propane tank,,, that will get you 6-12 months.
    Yup. How many people have that though? It is, what? Ballpark $20k? $25k? for the tank, line install and a whole house propane generator? I guess if you have an existing tank that wouldn't be bad getting a dual fuel propane generator and another line installed for it.

You'd also have to hope the freezers didn't get fried when the grid was toasted or have a backup fridge/freezer or two sitting around unplugged. They might not be toasted if plugged in when an EMP hit, but they might.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Yup. How many people have that though? It is, what? Ballpark $20k? $25k? for the tank, line install and a whole house propane generator? I guess if you have an existing tank that wouldn't be bad getting a dual fuel propane generator and another line installed for it.

You'd also have to hope the freezers didn't get fried when the grid was toasted or have a backup fridge/freezer or two sitting around unplugged. They might not be toasted if plugged in when an EMP hit, but they might.
    I have a 360gal leased at $47 a year.
    I have the smallest generac - 8K house gen (well pump, wtr htr, 2 freezer circuits, 2 light circuits) cost me ~ 4K installed with auto transfer and buried propane line.
    It helps that I am able to do a lot of the work myself.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yup, I'll be ashes in a flash. Hope I at least get to see it.

*****Make sure you wear good quality sunglasses, the eyes are very sensitive to bright flashes of light. Sunscreen can also help keep your skin moisturized and reduce the possibility of certain skin cancers.

Dermatologists are gonna make a killing after the bombs drop!

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    *****Make sure you wear good quality sunglasses, the eyes are very sensitive to bright flashes of light. Sunscreen can also help keep your skin moisturized and reduce the possibility of certain skin cancers.

I won't have any skin in the game.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a 360gal leased at $47 a year.
    I have the smallest generac - 8K house gen (well pump, wtr htr, 2 freezer circuits, 2 light circuits) cost me ~ 4K installed with auto transfer and buried propane line.
    It helps that I am able to do a lot of the work myself.
    True that. I usually think in the cost to other people. I do all my own work, so its usually a third or less of the cost for most stuff.

That is a big generator for that load. Though an electric water heater will draw a crap ton. A thought, but consider a heat pump water heater. Depending on water use and tolerance it works well. I got one a few weeks ago and it has been great. Replaced an indirect water heater, heated off my wood/oil boilers. I went through 5 bad ones in a row from WM over 2 1/2yrs before they finally just cut me the warranty check. Fortunately I replaced them myself also so I wasn't in for a few thousand dollars of plumber costs.

You can operate them in 100% heat pump mode which is what I've been doing. Hybrid energy saver mode where it picks what is best and also floats the temperature around some more based on your use, or high demand where it uses the heating elements and the heat pump. It WILL force the elements if the tank temperature is below a certain amount. No idea what it is other than it forced element use for maybe 10-20 minutes after I first filled it and turned it on. After that it has been 100% heat pump mode. I suspect if the tank temp is under 60-70F it'll force the elements on.

Anyway, I went a 65 gallon tank for our family of 5. Relatively low flow shower heads (1.8gpm, but the pressure is great. Some nice Delta rain heads), new washer and dish washer that are efficient. Anyway, have had zero times we have run out of hot water. Now, we have yet had all 5 of us shower back-to-back. I DO make the kids stagger it since sometimes they'll refuse to listen and someone will take a 30 minute shower will everyone else is waiting. And my wife filling the soaking tub means I am not risking a shower for at least half an hour or an hour.

But from basically empty, it takes around 3.5hrs to completely regenerate the tank from effectively empty to the heat pump shutting off and it is filled with hot water. So about 18 gallons an hour. About half to a third the rate that using the electric elements alone would be

But it also uses around 360 watts of power running the heat pump and in warmer months will add dehumidification to the basement. The large utility and exercise room it sits in is noticeably cooler when running, maybe 3-4F, but the rest of the basement isn't really any noticeably cooler.

Anyway, a pretty minor load on either of my generators to run it. I have an interlock on one of my panels that carries most of my loads. The other panel carries my BIG loads, like my dryer, range, and A/C units. Then again, the dryer is a heat pump dryer now (also working great) and it uses about half the power of a regular electric dryer. Though not nearly so low, it's around 1400w.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland

Thanks for the input. At the risk of being a hoarder, I could buy a 5 cu ft freezer and have it on standby for under $200. seems worth the money especially since my current freezer is about 15 years old.

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018

I'll just wear my auto-dark welding helmet.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the input. At the risk of being a hoarder, I could buy a 5 cu ft freezer and have it on standby for under $200. seems worth the money especially since my current freezer is about 15 years old.
    Not a terrible way to go. I’ve got a 12cu-ft and I really need a 17. I need the extra space and I’d leave the 12 as a spare. I’ve got the space.

Never know when a fridge or freezer might die or a new best friend invites you on an elk hunt.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Not a terrible way to go. I’ve got a 12cu-ft and I really need a 17. I need the extra space and I’d leave the 12 as a spare. I’ve got the space.

Never know when a fridge or freezer might die or a new best friend invites you on an elk hunt.
    Thinking I'll pick up a spare 7 cu ft chest and just have it on stand by.
    I'll know in May if I drew a cow elk tag in WY,, my son in law has a guide lic. (daughter and SIL live in WY)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom