Protecting Your Self From EMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wasn't there a launch of something off the coast of California last year that couldn't be explained? Theories of jet contrails, UFOs being shot at, a test launch from a Chinese sub, etc. We know there is nuclear material accessible. Maybe even missing from former Soviet republics. How refined the material is, is anyones guess. Refined to cause a massive blast or and emp, or just dirty bomb. It would be easy to buy, or hijack a freighter and sit in international waters off the coast of the US. Not saying likely, but possible. The terrorists have the will power, and they'll die for it. So if they launch off a ship, sink their ship along with themselves, it'll be hard to tell who exactly should be held accountable, other than Al Queda. I hope our government knows more than I think they do, for our sake.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I've read that the inside of a microwave is a Faraday cage.

So is the inside of an ammo box, or a foil-capped coffee can, or a cardboard box lined with aluminum foil. There's nothing magic or special about a microwave oven, any metal box will work.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Im ready...
    tinfoil-house.jpg

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Wasn't there a launch of something off the coast of California last year that couldn't be explained? Theories of jet contrails, UFOs being shot at, a test launch from a Chinese sub, etc. We know there is nuclear material accessible. Maybe even missing from former Soviet republics. How refined the material is, is anyones guess. Refined to cause a massive blast or and emp, or just dirty bomb. It would be easy to buy, or hijack a freighter and sit in international waters off the coast of the US. Not saying likely, but possible. The terrorists have the will power, and they'll die for it. So if they launch off a ship, sink their ship along with themselves, it'll be hard to tell who exactly should be held accountable, other than Al Queda. I hope our government knows more than I think they do, for our sake.
    Jet Contrail, not nuclear missile launch.
    I guess some people just have to look at the glass half-empty. Did anyone actually read that Starfish EMP report that was posted earlier? All 30ish math filled pages of it? It blamed the lighting circuit design, and said that modern streetlights wouldn't be affected. Also, the damage was fixed easily. Note that a very tiny percentage of streetlights were affected, and the power grid didn't go down.

It's extremely hard to get nuclear material, look at Iran's struggles in concentrating nuclear material to a 20% level. Think some terrorists in a cave with captured russian scientists could pull it off? Maybe in a movie...

I'm not going to try to convince you guys any more, some people just can't wait for an apocalyptic event. I'll admit it, it feels good being prepared when something bad happens. I was in Walmart a few weeks ago when the lights went off. I pulled out my flashlight, laughed at the people panicking, and continued shopping. (Until they herded everyone out) Being prepared feels good.

However, preparing for these EOTWAWKI scenarios is a waste of resources. Are you prepared for everything else that might possibly kill you? Are you in good shape? What's your resting heart rate? Do you eat well? Are your finances in order? If somebody without insurance bumped your car, would your wallet be fine? If a tree fell across your street during a storm, could you handle it? If your coffee maker caught on fire, do you have a plan? If your neighbor accidentally cut his leg open with an axe, could you take care of it? What if a guy smacked your wife's butt in front of you? These are things that are much, much, much more likely to happen, prepare for this kind of stuff first.

Microwaves are not Faraday cages, the holes have nothing to do with it. A microwave keeps microwaves in, anything else is unintentional. Read science books.

Kilroy out.

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    Not that all of the arguments in this thread make sense, but it seems clear that preparing for geomagnetic disturbances is a good use of resources, whether they are due to deliberate attack or space weather.

We know from experience that severe solar storms do in fact disrupt and damage power grid equipment (see the Carrington Event of 1859, the New York Railroad Storm of 1921 and the Superstorm of 1989).

Power grid operators do believe that geomagnetic disturbances are a threat and that it behooves them to expend resources to mitigate the threat (see the Severe Space Weather Events report, 2008).

The relevant question, then, is whether you believe that the steps the power grid operators take to mitigate massive power grid failures will be sufficient, and whether those steps will be in your best interest. I wouldn't blame anyone for not believing so, and doing what they can to protect themselves.

Severe Space Weather Events report:
    http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12507

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010
    Other than a hand crank radio, what would you really need to keep in a Faraday cage?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Jet Contrail, not nuclear missile launch.
    I guess some people just have to look at the glass half-empty. Did anyone actually read that Starfish EMP report that was posted earlier? All 30ish math filled pages of it? It blamed the lighting circuit design, and said that modern streetlights wouldn't be affected. Also, the damage was fixed easily. Note that a very tiny percentage of streetlights were affected, and the power grid didn't go down.

An accidental result of an otherwise unrelated atomic test. So that equates to a bomb optimized for the effect, dropped at an altitude to optimize the effect and over the intended target.

It's extremely hard to get nuclear material, look at Iran's struggles in concentrating nuclear material to a 20% level. Think some terrorists in a cave with captured russian scientists could pull it off? Maybe in a movie...

Gee, no states have stockpiles of atomic weapons and launch vehicles.

I'm not going to try to convince you guys any more, some people just can't wait for an apocalyptic event.

If only I could believe that was true.

Microwaves are not Faraday cages, the holes have nothing to do with it. A microwave keeps microwaves in, anything else is unintentional.

Because they're made of magic metal that only block electro-magnetic waves in one direction.

Read science books.

Where you'll find out about the properties of magic one-way ferrous metals.

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    I think the Amish are actually behind the ploy to launch and EMP, or they have knowledge of a future solar eruption. Once we are all without our technology, they will have the upper hand to rule us, as we will be completely dependant on them. Those evil Amish. And their addictive pulled pork sandwiches.

They already have a base in Germantown and Burtonsville operating under the disguise of an Amish market. All the staff are Amish sleeper agents and are just waiting for the big day.

First they hook you on the baked goods and pulled pork then BAM they send you off to reeducation camps.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Thread revival:
    Since we are now reporting in mainstream news that COVID came from the Wuhan lab in Chyna, I see this as a pivot to a war footing in our relations.

EMP question about a NIB gas powered generator... If an EMP fries the generator, what spare parts should I have on hand (and possibly have disassembled) in case the bomb goes pop so I can replace the parts?

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    EMP?
    Nuke plant minutes SE and Navel air station just south of me,,
    Ft. Meade North of me, Andrews West of me,,
    Oh! and DC 10-15 miles west,,,,

Not worried about EMP

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    EMP?
    Nuke plant minutes SE and Navel air station just south of me,,
    Ft. Meade North of me, Andrews West of me,,
    Oh! and DC 10-15 miles west,,,,

Not worried about EMP
    At this point I think an EMP is the most likely scenario as opposed to bomb drop. Even the Mullahs consider an EMP Sharia compliant because it actually doesn't kill many people. Survival after the EMP is up to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom