• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well eventually the forum will be a nice little down the middle echo chamber, free from dissenting voices. A shame, but it's not my sandbox, or Jeff's. Play by the rules or get the ban hammer.

Have different opinions and fully express them, but do it in a civil manner. Here's an example from bill oreilly and marilyn manson. The two are hardly similar in their beliefs, but Manson is respectful and engages in civil dialogue...even if bill is overtly hostile to him.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Well eventually the forum will be a nice little down the middle echo chamber, free from dissenting voices. A shame, but it's not my sandbox, or Jeff's. Play by the rules or get the ban hammer.

The only echo chamber was the constant incessant need for affirmation on his part. His with us or against litmus testing is the ultimate echo chamber.

Dissenting voices are welcome.

Being abusive is not.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Not even going to respond to this, other than to thank Norton, TexKev, et al for looking out for the greater good for the benefit of the forum community.

I have a question, but I'll PM it as I'm sure it will be [purposefully] misinterpreted in the open air.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Total BS. Nobody gets banned for dissent, people get banned for the way in which they do it.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Right! Everyone is entitled to their opinions....it’s the manner in which they express them that get them in trouble. If you can’t be civil then be invisible or be gone. You can always “change the channel” so to speak.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Total BS. Nobody gets banned for dissent, people get banned for the way in which they do it.
    Exactly. We lost one of the good ones earlier this week. Issue was the same as Fabs, every time he dared to type he was told how stupid he was.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm working to compile a comprehensive list of the people who are self proclaimed to be "done".

They're part of the cheerleading squad that has helped land the community where we're at lately.

Sounds similar to all those celebrities who claimed they'd move to Canada if Trump got elected...

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Which reminds me, we gotta hit up riverbay roadhouse some time soon. Those were fun days. I don't know how many people remember the fresh spirit this place had back then, but it was a nice alternative to the shenanigans over on thehighroad. Basically everyone had the screennames, but we all pretty much knew each other by face and actual name. The in-person relationships made it a little easier to treat each other as people instead of a soulless avatar on a screen with no intrinsic worth.

I don't really remember admins having to do a ton of nasty-work back then, as the individuals understood their roles in maintaining the community. I think you guys could brag, in those days, about never having locked a thread or banned anyone. The place exploded in popularity around '08 and then again in '12. It has served as THE organizational structure for the 2a presence in maryland. MSI enjoyed norton's leadership as he completely reformed the organization from fledgling operation to one with a coherent structure, complete with a board that could maintain a long term vision.

Gun bill days were planned and shared here. It's the reason why we were able to coordinate a presence of thousands in annapolis to fight FSA2013. It's still how we're organizing the fight in this current session.

Frostbite shoots at delmarva used to be a one day event with food, prizes, and name tags. It was where we built relationships and introduced new people to the world of firearms in a family-friendly(even with terry there) environment. We got solid memories, like clandestine's boy earning his nickname "the impaler".

Since that time the site has grown, dd214 has handed it over, and it's starting to get some of the problems other forums have once they reach anonymous maturity. The admins have done a great job at largely preserving the culture of a unified community, despite some very vocal personalities shuffling the deck a bit on them. The expansion is double-edged. The 2a community now has access to more talents than ever before and has a greater reach for information and influence on society than ever before. It's probably getting close to a turning point though where people here need to decide if we want to take care of the house Don built while nursing umbrella drinks, or just fall into balkanization and tear the beyotch down.

Very much all of this.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I just want to say that all the nazis around here are welcome to come over to my house and meet my lovely Rachel and her 7.62x39 friends.

This might be called "over reacting" just a bit, eh?

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    So ...does anyone want to sell me a gen2 sub2k in g17 or g19. :-) I know this one will get a lot of views. Sorry

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I just want to say that all the nazis around here are welcome to come over to my house and meet my lovely Rachel and her 7.62x39 friends.

Come on over and meet my Burptha, her measurements are 12.7×99mm. She's a loudmouth and she can hit you from some distance.

Never talk back to Burptha.....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    lol. I have been told I look like Brad Pitt, which is obviously wrong (I am way more good looking), and I just watched Inglorious Basterds.

I see the resemblance...

Attachments

• 0a.jpg
      0a.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 612

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Well said!

Norton
    You were put into a situation where you would be damned if you do and damned if you don't. I am glad that I did not have to make that choice that you had to make. We are all so very grateful for all the hard work you to keep this running. I tip my hat to you sir..:patriot::mdpatriot:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Norton doesn't need my support here, but I'm going to offer it anyway. This wasn't a choice made in a vacuum, in a rush nor in the heat of the moment. Norton happened to see the reported post before I did. If I'd seen it first, I'd have done exactly the same. Single infractions and one week suspensions can happen off of an incident. A lifetime ban is ALMOST always based off a body of work and that was the case here. After a while we've issued enough warnings and it becomes evident that a member just isn't going to conform to our community's expected standards. It happens, but mercifully it's rare.

I wish Jeff good health.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    So ...does anyone want to sell me a gen2 sub2k in g17 or g19. :-) I know this one will get a lot of views. Sorry

lol, now that's dedication. If you ever find one you better post some pics!
    Worth a shot has a black, a green and a blue in stock as of 1 minute ago. Millersville.

Off topic but just one MDS'er helping another.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom