Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    Freishutz Shop

Robert A. Hoyt
    700 Fairfield Station Road
    Fairfield, PA 17320
    (717) 642-6696 Tel.

Try this sorry for the screw up, link did not copy correctly.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That's not his; The Rifle Shoppe merely sells Hoyt barrels with some of their kits. The only ways to contact Mr. Hoyt are by phone, snail mail, or driving to his shop. He's done half a dozen barrels for me over the years, but can be tough to get in touch with. Just be persistent.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    FWIW.....I recently sent a Browning High wall out to JES Reboring. It was a 38-55 with a rusted out bore. The previous owner shot black powder and never cleaned it until it was ruined. He made it a 45-70. I was skeptical about the accuracy, but I have to say after shooting it I am impressed.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Yes the-yr out there and some people know how to do this sort of work even though its uncommon.
    I was going to post up drawings for cutting tools and specific information for how to cut the threads last night, but now I think its not necessary.
    Boring out the tenon and sleeving it to a new barrel would would be another option however that would be dependent on existing measurements of the old barrel stub and caliber choice intended by the owner.
    And, quality of the work if the barrels already been changed once. Then again, it may not even have square threads.
    Updating: I have acquired a NOS 45-70 Numrich barrel for my project (I am not the OP). Thank you for the info that you have provided. Up-post I should have clarified, I can and would, if necessary, cut the threads myself. I know what the tool needs to look like etc. The problem if that my old lathe may not be up to the task. I have an old South Bend 9". When I was referring to "timing" of the threads, I was referring not to the timing of barrel to receiver but rather how the threading index on the lathe lines up on each pass. Old SB 9 lathes are notorious for not having the greatest thread timing, particulaly as they age. For cutting conventional V threads, it is best to always cut on the same number on the dial. V threads are very forgiving in thread "timing" or irregulality. Square threads are not. My friend rcently acquired a CNC lathe. We are going to program it to do square RRB threads and see how that goes.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Timing of V threads and square threads are identical.

A SB9 has no more/less problem using a thread dial than any other lathe. You are limited to closing the half nuts by the pitch of the leadscrew on any of them. There is no way to be just a little off. If you screw up it will be a lot off and you can see it on the thread dial.

Different pitches can be picked up at different numbers on the dial. It is 'safe' to always use the same number if you don't have the chart. Some pitches can be picked up on any location, some on the whole numbers only, and some on certain numbers. Refer to the threading chart of your lathe. This is one example for a lathe:
    9963d1234328752-english-taiwanese-translation-thread-indicator-method-chart.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom