• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Houndkeeper

Gardez Bien
    I was hoping we could have a recap thread on what needs to brought to Sundays shoot and also clear up a few questions for those of use attending our first MD Shooters Fun Day.

DO BRING:
    Any guns belonging to you that you want to shoot and/or allow other folks to try out.

Ammo for above guns.

$7.50 to purchase lunch.

DD will have patches for $8

$15 single color (green or tan), and a VERY limited supply of color logo t-shirts for $20.

Hearing and eye protection.

$15 for the House (Zeke)

Now, a few questions:

I think someone said ammo can be purchased at this range....how about targets?

Is there a bathroom?

What is the protocol to shoot someone else's firearm in terms of ammo....if you (the borrower) don't have ammo for that piece do you slide a few bills to the lender?

Do folks with big guns need to bring the propping up stuff they use or is there some there already on the bench rests.

Target stands.

I KNOW there must be a few other questions from other out there as well as a few I can't think of right know. Please feel free to add on to this list and Mods, feel free to alter this post so as to keep it centralized.

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I was hoping we could have a recap thread on what needs to brought to Sundays shoot and also clear up a few questions for those of use attending our first MD Shooters Fun Day.

DO BRING:
    Any guns belonging to you that you want to shoot and/or allow other folks to try out.

Ammo for above guns.

Money to purchase lunch.

Money to purchase MD Shooters shirt (if you want one).

Hearing and eye protection.

That pretty much covers things so far.

Now, a few questions:

I think someone said ammo can be purchased at this range....how about targets?

Ammo is good to go and you'll get a couple of targets for your $15 range fee. Additional targets are available at reasonable cost.

Is there a bathroom?

Porta-John right next to the range

What is the protocol to shoot someone else's firearm in terms of ammo....if you (the borrower) don't have ammo for that piece do you slide a few bills to the lender?
    Depends. I always offer my own ammo if shooting someone else's firearm, especially if it's a rifle since the ammo is so expensive. OTOH....I also usually let people run my ammo out of my rifles, so there's no consistency. Offer to use your ammo and if they say, "Don't worry about it" then don't worry about it :D

If it's a weird caliber that you don't have, you can offer to let them run a magazine through one of your guns.

I think you'll find most people could care less about the ammo thing except, perhaps, the .50 BMG which is so cost prohibitive.

Do folks with big guns need to bring the propping up stuff they use or is there some there already on the bench rests.

Target stands.

There are shot filled sandbags on the benches, though not enough for all of the benches simultaneously. The range will also loan things like rifle rests, staplers and spotting scopes. Target stands are provided on all ranges.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Now, a few questions:

I think someone said ammo can be purchased at this range....how about targets? YES, targets are available there. If you have a favorite target though it's best to bring some with you as selection is a little limited.
    Is there a bathroom? YES, and NO. The portapotty on the range can be quite um.....unfriendly. I assume there's a bathroom inside the main building but I've never asked.
    What is the protocol to shoot someone else's firearm in terms of ammo....if you (the borrower) don't have ammo for that piece do you slide a few bills to the lender? Generally if it's a common caliber it's no big deal; just offer to let that person shoot something of yours in return. Handguns in common calibers - usually one mag is the norm to shoot. Common caliberrifles should be kept to 5 to 10 rounds (like an AR15 or AK47) and hunting rifles using expensive ammo 1 to 2 shots unless the owner encourages you to shoot more.
    Do folks with big guns need to bring the propping up stuff they use or is there some there already on the bench rests. There's a fair amount of sandbags available and a few benchrests, but with the number of people we expect it couldn't hurt for a few peole to bring their own.

Target stands. You can bring them, but you probably won't need them. Again with the amount of people coming it's hard to guess how many extra we'll need. The range provides a bunch of target stands at each berm.

I KNOW there must be a few other questions from other out there as well as a few I can't think of right know. Please feel free to add on to this list and Mods, feel free to alter this post so as to keep it centralized.

hope that helps!

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    what about metal targets? and metal plates, i was looking through the frost bite post and noticed a few conversations about ricochets and metal plate targets. Will there be people shooting on plates again this time around and/or has anyone looked into the cause of said ricochets?

Slightly related, what about small metal plinker targets?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is also a bathroom inside the shop that is a little less "aromatic":D

You can bring a case or two of clay pigeons to set up on the berm, as target frames are few, also most anything safe to shoot at (a case of those cheap little grenade looking cool-aid bottles is fun)

If you want to try out a couple rounds in something, most don't mind, but if you are considering buying something, and want to run a box or two through it, it's good ju-ju to bring a box of ammo in that caliber.

I always bring a stapler, a few targets, and a little rifle/pistol rest.

This time, I am bringing a broom, to help sweep up brass.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Hound keeper, thanks for the thread! I was going to ask some of the same questions.

I was thinking about bringing my 870 w 18" barrel. I was hoping to put some buckshot through it to see how it patterns, what might I need to bring target wise? Since it is close range proposition where would I need to be on the line? Would I be able to shoot with the pistol portion, and just use whatever targets are being used there?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Shotguns can use the pistol line.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    maybe I should make some copies of these?

Attachments

• binladen-target.JPG
      binladen-target.JPG
      12.6 KB · Views: 250

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I was planning on bringing a tarp to lay down to catch brass. Going to do my shopping tomorrow, should I grab a couple extra?

Also, making an ammo run tomorrow. Anyone who can't get free the next three days and needs a last minute purchase, PM me and I'll see what I can do for ya.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Tape for some targets also may be a good idea if you don't have a stapler lying around.

Something to help you clean up your brass also may help. Those of us that save brass will have a bag or container for that purpose. The broom idea sounds really good though, especially with a dustpan.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Tape for some targets also may be a good idea if you don't have a stapler lying around.

Something to help you clean up your brass also may help. Those of us that save brass will have a bag or container for that purpose. The broom idea sounds really good though, especially with a dustpan.

Of course the rifle brass is fairly easy to hold onto, but, all to much of my damn pistol brass goes to the great beyond:(

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I'll have patches for $8, single color (green or tan) t-shirts for $15, and a VERY limited supply of color logo t-shirts for $20. We will also have some kind of raffle, but Norton usually runs that one and I don't know what a ticket will cost.

Dst

Jan 29, 2008
    Cary, NC
    I am only aware of one ricochet...the one that ended up in the bed of my truck. The problem was that someone was shooting a .50 at a steel target at only 100 yards. We now require all .50s to be on the 200 or 300 yard berms.

Small metal plinkers are fine.

Yeah, but some of the "rimfire only" plates that were hanging up at the last shoot ended up with more holes than swiss cheese, if I recall. My take on it is that anything that's out there's going to get shot but just about anything on the line, so keep that in mind with regard to what you bring.

That poor, poor egg stand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom