• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Because the session has already ended, they cannot extend the session to fight the veto... Had he vetoed it yesterday, it would be another story.

Regardless, CALL CALL CALL!!! +1 (304) 558-2000

A special session CAN be called, either by the Governor alone OR 3/5ths of each house. I have been emailing all the yes votes to see if they will do this in the case of a veto. I'm not done yet, but have gotten 1 response that says he will indeed vote for a special session to override a veto. It does seem though that historically it's not common.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    A special session CAN be called, either by the Governor alone OR 3/5ths of each house. I have been emailing all the yes votes to see if they will do this in the case of a veto. I'm not done yet, but have gotten 1 response that says he will indeed vote for a special session to override a veto. It does seem though that historically it's not common.

Edit: Another one just said he will vote for the special session.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It's officially "on his desk" now. His office is saying he has 5 days to sign it, veto it, or do nothing and let it become law automatically.

cmb286

Mar 6, 2015
    In my dreams, MD will follow eventually suit to WV.... definitely makes it more enticing to "head west".

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    WVCDL update:

[FONT=&quot]SB347 on the Governor's Desk [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Anti-gun New York Billionaire Michael Bloomberg's money continues to pour into West Virginia. The former mayor of New York simply cannot stand the idea of people being capable of effective self-defense. Bloomberg is running robo-calls. He is running social media paid ads. He is running targeted media ads on major websites. Cash is flooding into our state from outside, in an effort to trample our right to bear arms.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Senator Joe Manchin, who at this point is little more than a Bloomberg puppet, is stumping around the state trying to convince the Governor to veto SB347.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And then there's the WVCDL. A group of concerned citizens who care about their rights. We are David. We are facing Goliath.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The only way we can win this fight is with activism. We simply must call Governor Tomblin's office today at (304) 558-2000 or 1-888-438-2731. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Then, we need to convince all of our family and friends to call in support of our right to bear arms. The message is simple. "Please ask Governor Tomblin to support my right to defend myself, and sign SB347." [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Do they have enough votes to override?
    First a special session has to be called, which requires 3/5ths of each house. That's the tricky part, since some of the yes votes doing so because of the nra may feel they have enough cover by the veto so they can simply lay low and do nothing. If a session does get called it WILL be over rode, as a simple majority will do it.
    I know WVCDL has been working on this. It'll be time to call legislators again.....

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    They're already calling him Traitor Joe.

And I'm not quite sure what Tomblin was thinking, other than not wanting a 2nd term.

The NRA should seriously revoke his membership.

Tomblin is actually termed out because he took over part of Manchin's term. He could wait a term and run again if he wants though, although the rumors are him and Manchin trying to basically trade places. After this, they'll find it MUCH harder to accomplish either.

There's still next year, with the legislature (and governor) all returning. What will happen is this bill will be pushed through immediately (and maybe be stronger) so the Governor can't veto when the legislature is out of session.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm still hoping for A SPECIAL SESSION to occur. Wishful thinking?

Yes, but it's possible. However, it would cost some $$ back to the state, so that makes them a little leery to do it. They had another bill last year that Tomblin vetoed after the session was over. This year they put it through right away, Tomblin vetoed, and was overridden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom