• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    A few quick questions for a co-worker.

A co-worker whose military enlistment ended in California and left his firearms (hunting rifle and semi-auto handgun) stored in a family member's safe. He now resides in Virginia and wants those firearms shipped to his residence. Does he need to go through an FFL or can he have them shipped directly to his home?

I believe he can have them shipped without the assistance of an FFL but I am not 100% sure so I am asking here.

What shipping company (UPS or Fed-Ex) is most preferred and do they need to be shipped overnight?

Thank you.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unfortunately both Fed Ex and UPS require one end of a shipment to involve an FFL. You can ship the handgun to an FFL in VA but call and get their ok first.

No USPS for handguns. The long gun can be shipped USPS to the residence of the legal owner.. check CA laws as well.

You could also check with a CA FFL and see if they will ship the handgun for you USPS. But some won't.

good luck

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the responses. He is going to check with a VA FFL (Big Dogs) after work today. I think the only snag to having it shipped straight to his home is going to be the California side of the law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's why I said needs to go to a VA FFL He's already in VA and someone else is shipping the firearms as I understand his post.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    No shipping directly to his home in Virginia unless he ships them himself to himself.

Yep, that's what the VA FFL said yesterday; A family member in California can ship his guns to a Virginia FFL and he can pick them up there. Probably all the better since now he can pick them up from the gun shop at his leisure. :thumbsup:

Thanks all who responded. Much appreciated! :party29:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    BTW, if he's in NOVA, get them sent to Quantico Tactical. Lowest cost on transfers, and they probably have mags in stock if he wants more, standard capacity magazines.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It may not need to be put in the bound book if he can arrange to pick up ther gun the day it arrives. And perhaps the FFL will cut him some slack on the fee since it technically isn't a transfer, but just a mail receipt.

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    It may not need to be put in the bound book if he can arrange to pick up ther gun the day it arrives. And perhaps the FFL will cut him some slack on the fee since it technically isn't a transfer, but just a mail receipt.

It's definitely a transfer, must be entered in bound book and 4473 completed with background check. No legal way around it I'm afraid.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I was under the impression of the firearm was in your (FFL) possession for less than a day, no entry in your bound book was required. Is this wrong?

There is no change in ownership. Not arguing, just trying to learn the law.

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    I was under the impression of the firearm was in your (FFL) possession for less than a day, no entry in your bound book was required. Is this wrong?

There is no change in ownership. Not arguing, just trying to learn the law.

No argument from me. :)

The laws can be confusing and Brady '94 made it even more so. The "less-than-a-day" rule is for gunsmithing. A few examples:

A customer comes in for sights installed, 10 minutes later I hand him his firearm; no 4473, no background and no entry in my book.

A customer comes in for sights installed, 10 days later the customer comes back for his firearm. No 4473, no background but there is an entry in my book since I had the firearm overnight.

Now, if someone else comes in to pick-up the firearm, other than the original customer, then a 4473, background and a bound book entry come in.

In the OP, the firearms will be sent by someone other than whom will be picking them up. Therein lies the issue.

Since we're discussing 4473s, bound books and such, may as well touch on consignments. If a gun is consigned, a bound book entry is required. If the original owner wants his firearm back, 4473 and background check are required. :rolleyes:

Sorry to the OP for the thread tangent.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So what if the owner sends a copy of his drivers license to the shipper who puts that copy in with the firearm for ID purposes.

Legal? still has to be transferred in your book?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    No argument from me. :)

The laws can be confusing and Brady '94 made it even more so. The "less-than-a-day" rule is for gunsmithing. A few examples:

A customer comes in for sights installed, 10 minutes later I hand him his firearm; no 4473, no background and no entry in my book.

A customer comes in for sights installed, 10 days later the customer comes back for his firearm. No 4473, no background but there is an entry in my book since I had the firearm overnight.

Now, if someone else comes in to pick-up the firearm, other than the original customer, then a 4473, background and a bound book entry come in.

In the OP, the firearms will be sent by someone other than whom will be picking them up. Therein lies the issue.

Since we're discussing 4473s, bound books and such, may as well touch on consignments. If a gun is consigned, a bound book entry is required. If the original owner wants his firearm back, 4473 and background check are required. :rolleyes:

Sorry to the OP for the thread tangent.

Good information. So the moral of the story is bring your guns when you move.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Both UPS and FED Ex policy states that one end of any shipment must involve an FFL. Kinda hard to ship to yourself if you don't have at least an 03 FFL. BATFE says it's ok, but Fed Ex and UPS no longer allow it.

now what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom