Shooting Steel - Want Information on Mounting/Hanging Solutions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Last call for anyone else wanting fire hose... IM leaving Friday for Western MD.. going up 97, to 100, to 29 to 70 onto 68.... If you need it and can meet me at one of the exits I'd be happy to give some away

TravelDog

Feb 24, 2013
    Last call for anyone else wanting fire hose... IM leaving Friday for Western MD.. going up 97, to 100, to 29 to 70 onto 68.... If you need it and can meet me at one of the exits I'd be happy to give some away

Hey Ladder, I'll take you up on the offer since I'm putting together some steel targets. I'll PM ya for more info.:thumbsup:

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    OK, so don't kick me off of MD Shooters for asking a potentially really stupid question:

Unfortunately, I do not have access to or the ability to weld metal. I'm wondering if JB Weld putty (assuming it's applied correctly as per instructions) will hold up to use as a target frame? I KNOW it's not as strong as a weld. But will it hold up? Again, NOT for the steel targets themselves, but the frame that would be holding the targets. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Scarab

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Version 3.0

This is version 3.0. It has adjustable legs with multiple positions to raise or lower the entire frame for use with a back berm at multiple distances. It has removable cross braces held together with hex bolts and wing nuts for fast assembly, and it completely breaks down and folds up for easy transport. Right now a single hanging 6" 3/8ths AR500 plate is present but I just order a 3/8ths AR500 plate in 8" and 10" that will be hanging to the right and the left of the 6" plate. It also shows my rear static 3" and 4" 3/8th AR500 plates that are located in between the hanging front plates. All steel targets rest at a 25 degree angle. The reason for the lengths of side chain is to maintain the 25 degree angel on rear legs and therefore the rear static steel targets.

Now I need to take it out to the range like I did with Versions 1.0 and 2.0 and find the flaws in my design :)

All comments welcome!

Scarab

Attachments

• 20150416_153423.jpg
      20150416_153423.jpg
      92.8 KB · Views: 170
    • 20150416_155054.jpg
      20150416_155054.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 162
    Last edited:

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Middle steel need to be raised.. Or you be replacing the back brace a lot. ;)

Man, you're assuming that I'm THAT BAD of a shot aren't you! LOL! I'm actually pretty decent. That said, you're point is well taken. I really wish I had the ability to weld because I'd be awesome if I could make the same thing but out of steel.

And GOOD GOD those rangemasterrowdy rigs are INSANELY EXPENSIVE!!! $800+!?!?!?!? I could make the same thing for about $200 WITH AR500 3/8ths targets I bet if I could weld!

Scarab

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Man, you're assuming that I'm THAT BAD of a shot aren't you! LOL! I'm actually pretty decent. That said, you're point is well taken. I really wish I had the ability to weld because I'd be awesome if I could make the same thing but out of steel.

Scarab
    You have a swinger.. You expect that bullet to fall straight down as soon it hits the steel? Lol

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    You have a swinger.. You expect that bullet to fall straight down as soon it hits the steel? Lol

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm primarily using this with Handguns (9mm and .45 ACP). I think I may move that back brace/static target holder lower or just make a separate little holder for my statics targets.

Scarab

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Yes, that's what I meant. I'd think the builder might want to keep extra wood on hand, or only miss on the high side.

Yeah, those static target present a unique problem to overcome. I'm considering buying a piece of 90 degree steel to place over the wood obviously with the "point" of the steel facing forward. That would direct the bullet away/around the wood holding the static target without a ricochet.

Scarab

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    That sounds like a good solution to direct hits. It still seems the wood would crack after too many shots to the static target. Since the struts are at the same downward angle as the targets, might be worth replacing them with flat iron, instead of just covering them. But it all looks good, have fun shooting that thing and let us know how it works!

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    That sounds like a good solution to direct hits. It still seems the wood would crack after too many shots to the static target. Since the struts are at the same downward angle as the targets, might be worth replacing them with flat iron, instead of just covering them. But it all looks good, have fun shooting that thing and let us know how it works!

Not a bad idea to cover that whole back brace with a piece of regular flat steel.

Scarab

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    So here are some pics of the way I have some targets hung and some of the clearing I did while i was in Western MD this past week... Big thanks to whom ever brought up the idea about using fire hose...it worked out GREAT!!!
    As you'll see I use a regular hinges for the the small caliber guns 17HMR & 22 AR500 targets and wire for the golf and tennis balls (golf balls launch like a rocket when you hit them right). The Silhouette targets are hung with a pipe hanger over the pipe then I used 3/8” threaded rod I can either hang paper targets or AR500 targets off this as well.. plan to shorten up the threaded rod and install fire hose my next trip up the road. I’ve been trying to clear out some more trees across the creek and set up more targets….Using the fire hose along with a small piece of threaded rod worked out great when it came to hanging the 3/8” & ½” AR500 targets for the big boy guns.

This is SheDevil doing what she does best... Watching

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom