Shooting Steel - Want Information on Mounting/Hanging Solutions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Iron i just had 2 more auto ground poppers delivered from Grizzly targets since I wasn't able to add onto the dueling tree this time due to NO fricken targets listed on Amazon.. You can bring the 3 I have back down the road with you or I can bring them back so you can play with them...I need to come back down the road the evening of the 14th and will not be heading back west till around July 2nd and would need them back then.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Iron great job with the firehose sir....... the rounded edge is a nice touch...Myself... i just wacked mine off.... If you still coming up the road on the weekend of the 13th/14th you can see what i did ... and i have extra pipe hangers and threaded rod you can have....Also check yer e-mail sir

Scarab... I took all the hose up to the other house..... I'll bring back your roll of hose as I have another person whom I have to do the same for since we were also unable to connect for a pick up or drop off.... Yes Traveler you lol

:D

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You are correct.
    Why would one shoot so close to the target though? Are there matches shooting steel at 25'? Just curious because I normally stand at 60' to 80' with 5" and 9" plates in all seriousness am I doing something wrong there too? Trying to learn.
    25' Lol seems easy and scary I might try that since you mentioned it, I'm not trying to be rude and have much respect for you photo. I wear safety glasses 10 hrs a day so I feel naked without them. Besides the point of safety I have never and cannot find a piece of lead further than 8' from the targets. 7mm Rem Mag will crater ⅜" Ar500
    What are the most common last three words from rednecks ... "Watch this shit".:)
    That is mild steel ladder. I have 3 new ar500 10" plates on the way now that I don't have to carry all that darn chain "thanks" and thanks for keeping an eye out for me photo, whoops no pun intended.
    For magnum rifle calibers its best to use 1/2" AR500-AR550 steel at 100 yards or more. The closest we shoot in Steel Challenge is 7-10 yards and that can be shot with .22LR rifles also. This the distance to the closest plate but all the rest are farther way, one target being at 35 yards on one stage. Many venues limit your ammo to a max power factor of 150 or so(125g 9mm at about 1200 FPS) and a minimum of 115 or so (bullet weight x velocity /100). But they usually don't check in SC, unlike in USPSA where your velocity can be an advantage when they use major and minor power factors that score different. A lot depends on the backstop you use whether you get any bounce back (due to misses and such).

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    For magnum rifle calibers its best to use 1/2" AR500-AR550 steel at 100 yards or more. The closest we shoot in Steel Challenge is 7-10 yards and that can be shot with .22LR rifles also. This the distance to the closest plate but all the rest are farther way, one target being at 35 yards on one stage. Many venues limit your ammo to a max power factor of 150 or so(125g 9mm at about 1200 FPS) and a minimum of 115 or so (bullet weight x velocity /100). But they usually don't check in SC, unlike in USPSA where your velocity can be an advantage when they use major and minor power factors that score different. A lot depends on the backstop you use whether you get any bounce back (due to misses and such).

Thanks, now I want to go to a match ... as a spectator.:)

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    So I have some 3/8" targets that I have shot the attachment rings off of after putting several thousand rounds onto it and want to find a way to re-purpose them. I was thinking of welding them to a piece of rebar and have that rebar on a heavy duty spring standing upright so when the target is it, it will dip backwards then pop back into an upright position.

My question is, what is a cheap(er) way of finding springs that will be stiff enough to support a 3' piece of rebar that is top heavy but still have some give when a round hits it? I want to avoid buying brand new to help keep cost down and I feel like there has to be several springs that can be found in scrap yards but I'm not sure where to look exactly.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Why not just have holes re-drilled... I take it your talking about having the mounting ears broke off. Or you could have small pieces of flat steel welded on and drilling them out to hold your hanger devices... just a thought

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    Why not just have holes re-drilled... I take it your talking about having the mounting ears broke off. Or you could have small pieces of flat steel welded on and drilling them out to hold your hanger devices... just a thought

That was my first thought but I wanted to add a bit of variety to my range. I plan on ordering 1/2" targets so they might last a bit longer and have those suspended while having spring loaded targets as well.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Price wise I think having flatt steel welded onto the ar500 would be the cheapest... One other thing I;ve been noticing is that those who have targets with a square area around the hole or boxed in...seem to have more broken targets...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom