Shooting Steel - Want Information on Mounting/Hanging Solutions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    So here are some pics of the way I have some targets hung and some of the clearing I did while i was in Western MD this past week... Big thanks to whom ever brought up the idea about using fire hose...it worked out GREAT!!!
    As you'll see I use a regular hinges for the the small caliber guns 17HMR & 22 AR500 targets and wire for the golf and tennis balls (golf balls launch like a rocket when you hit them right). The Silhouette targets are hung with a pipe hanger over the pipe then I used 3/8” threaded rod I can either hang paper targets or AR500 targets off this as well.. plan to shorten up the threaded rod and install fire hose my next trip up the road. I’ve been trying to clear out some more trees across the creek and set up more targets….Using the fire hose along with a small piece of threaded rod worked out great when it came to hanging the 3/8” & ½” AR500 targets for the big boy guns.

Nice setup. Congrats. So, when are we all coming over to shoot? :D

Yeah paper targets get a little old. Like variety and the ding sound of hitting steel. I shoot at my son's 22 trap in the back yard just to hear the clank of a 22lr round hitting metal.

Dave

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    AR15Dave

I'll be back up in Western MD around the middle of May....hopefully by then I;ll have a few more targets for my dueling tree so I can get that set up to use and install some auto poppers I got from Grizzly targets and some more AR500 to hang.

If you'd like to come up drop me a message

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Iron

I cut down some walnut tress if you want the wood I will bring it back down with me in May... Heck I'll go as far as letting you build me a custon stock for a T53...lol

Last edited:

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I got my 3/8ths AR500 8" and 10" gongs. Here's the final shot of my rig at the range before I opened fire on it. It held up great! No problems.

Attachments

• 20150421_163108_resized.jpg
      20150421_163108_resized.jpg
      108.8 KB · Views: 199
    • 20150421_163114_resized.jpg
      20150421_163114_resized.jpg
      107.1 KB · Views: 193
    • 20150421_163127_resized.jpg
      20150421_163127_resized.jpg
      107 KB · Views: 186

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Nice set up sir.... if your around Wilmer on the 29th and still want the hose I shall be there in the morning sir

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Nice set up sir.... if your around Wilmer on the 29th and still want the hose I shall be there in the morning sir

I shall be there! I'm either good or lucky (shooting at 15 yards) but I have yet to hit my chain! Either way the hose is hands-down the better setup! And I appreciate you doing this for me!

Bill

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Bill
    I don’t have your kind of luck, first shot with the Vz58 aiming at the head of a Silhouette paper target I broke one of the threaded rods holding the plywood. So when I head back up the road I plan to change out the long threaded rod to hose with just a short section of threaded rod in an L shape to screw into the pipe hanger and to punch through the hose at the top

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I start picking up hose tomorrow & Friday...so far I have 2 orders for hose... anyone else need hose? I only plan to pick up what I need.....

More should become avalible once the weather warms and the FD's start doing annual hose test..

Seagrave :::: can you keep your eyes open for rubber jacketed 4" or 5" please

Haven't come across much - it is usually just re-coupled and used for short shots but will keep looking.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Thanks for the fire hose laddertowr.
    I made the loop big enough to hang on a 2 x 4 but use a steel pipe myself. Epoxied the important parts. The plate is 9" x 1/4" mild steel, 9mm to 10mm many many times. The holes are mementos from a Winchester '73 I had a chance to shoot. Much lighter than carrying the 3/8" Proof Coil chain. Made the hooks myself specific to the plate size as quick links are difficult to insert. They swing when hit but not bad, about the same as chain. I hung 5" plates with one strap and one hook and they do stay "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY". I didn't think to shoot one. The darker color hose is the outer wrap around the actual hose part (rubber). So two straps per length of cut.

Attachments

• IMG_2899 2.jpg
      IMG_2899 2.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 151
    • IMG_2900 2.jpg
      IMG_2900 2.jpg
      116.8 KB · Views: 155
    • IMG_2898 2.jpg
      IMG_2898 2.jpg
      107.9 KB · Views: 150

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Iron great job with the firehose sir....... the rounded edge is a nice touch...Myself... i just wacked mine off.... If you still coming up the road on the weekend of the 13th/14th you can see what i did ... and i have extra pipe hangers and threaded rod you can have....Also check yer e-mail sir

Scarab... I took all the hose up to the other house..... I'll bring back your roll of hose as I have another person whom I have to do the same for since we were also unable to connect for a pick up or drop off.... Yes Traveler you lol

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Iron great job with the firehose sir....... the rounded edge is a nice touch...Myself... i just wacked mine off.... If you still coming up the road on the weekend of the 13th/14th you can see what i did ... and i have extra pipe hangers and threaded rod you can have....Also check yer e-mail sir

Scarab... I took all the hose up to the other house..... I'll bring back your roll of hose as I have another person whom I have to do the same for since we were also unable to connect for a pick up or drop off.... Yes Traveler you lol

I whacked mine off too, then cut the hose with the band saw. and yes so far on the weekend. Got your info thanks, I'll be in touch.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the fire hose laddertowr.
    I made the loop big enough to hang on a 2 x 4 but use a steel pipe myself. Epoxied the important parts. The plate is 9" x 1/4" mild steel, 9mm to 10mm many many times. The holes are mementos from a Winchester '73 I had a chance to shoot. Much lighter than carrying the 3/8" Proof Coil chain. Made the hooks myself specific to the plate size as quick links are difficult to insert. They swing when hit but not bad, about the same as chain. I hung 5" plates with one strap and one hook and they do stay "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY". I didn't think to shoot one. The darker color hose is the outer wrap around the actual hose part (rubber). So two straps per length of cut.

That steel is not safe unless you are shooting it a minimum of 25 yards or more away although I am not sure I would do it that close myself. You are getting cratering which means a bullet striking on the same point has a chance of bouncing back with a lot of projectile weight intact. Even AR500 steel is usually limited to 150 Power Factor loads by some club ranges. Club ranges are limited to AR500 by their insurance carriers because there is a history of accidents with lighter stuff depending on calibers. This video and the comments below it have some good info.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyfmNvmL_U

I shoot a lot of steel matches and have been hit a few times, usually by copper jacket material, but a cratered target can magnify the problem many fold. Your safety is up to you. I would not like to see one of your buddies owning your house if they get hit by something shot at weak steel targets. One thing I like about AR500 steel is that even a .308 can't leave a dent at 100 yards.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I need some of that hose too. Past two attempts to meet up with laddertowr were unsuccessful at no fault of laddertowr! Totally my fault.

Scarab

I saw some on TV about a month ago that you could have gotten. It was out in front of a CVS store and someone had already started cutting it for you!
    :innocent0

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I shoot steel at the AGC a lot. They only allow rim fire on steel which, for me, means .22. I use steel plates with chains and "S" books on each end and haven't had a problem. If you're using a wood frame, it'll get torn up by the fragments from the bullets.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I shoot steel at the AGC a lot. They only allow rim fire on steel which, for me, means .22. I use steel plates with chains and "S" books on each end and haven't had a problem. If you're using a wood frame, it'll get torn up by the fragments from the bullets.

If one of the clubs sponsors it (and gets trustee approval) they can hold steel shoots w/ centerfires

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    That steel is not safe unless you are shooting it a minimum of 25 yards or more away although I am not sure I would do it that close myself. You are getting cratering which means a bullet striking on the same point has a chance of bouncing back with a lot of projectile weight intact. Even AR500 steel is usually limited to 150 Power Factor loads by some club ranges. Club ranges are limited to AR500 by their insurance carriers because there is a history of accidents with lighter stuff depending on calibers. This video and the comments below it have some good info.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyfmNvmL_U

I shoot a lot of steel matches and have been hit a few times, usually by copper jacket material, but a cratered target can magnify the problem many fold. Your safety is up to you. I would not like to see one of your buddies owning your house if they get hit by something shot at weak steel targets. One thing I like about AR500 steel is that even a .308 can't leave a dent at 100 yards.

You are correct.
    Why would one shoot so close to the target though? Are there matches shooting steel at 25'? Just curious because I normally stand at 60' to 80' with 5" and 9" plates in all seriousness am I doing something wrong there too? Trying to learn.
    25' Lol seems easy and scary I might try that since you mentioned it, I'm not trying to be rude and have much respect for you photo. I wear safety glasses 10 hrs a day so I feel naked without them. Besides the point of safety I have never and cannot find a piece of lead further than 8' from the targets. 7mm Rem Mag will crater ⅜" Ar500
    What are the most common last three words from rednecks ... "Watch this shit".:)
    That is mild steel ladder. I have 3 new ar500 10" plates on the way now that I don't have to carry all that darn chain "thanks" and thanks for keeping an eye out for me photo, whoops no pun intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom