• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • First off, I realize that I'm an idiot.

I have an M1 Garand and some old Korean ammo. I currently have a spent shell stuck in the chamber and it won't budge.
    Problem is, I left it sit in the safe for a week in this condition and now I'm worried that there might be some real damage to the inside of the barrel.

Are there any solvents or lubes I could use to loosen the casing, or should I leave it be and take the rifle to a gunsmith ASAP?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I would take a wooden dowel and punch it out and call it a day. Chad is better to ask with this stuff but personally I would spray some WD40 down there just as some lube and then dowel it

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    First of all did the extractor rip the rim off like that on initial firing or was that from multiple attempts to remove the case?
    If the former I would have a gunsmith check the rifle out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I use a section of aluminum round stock, smaller than the bore diameter, longer than the barrel. (Home Depot or Ace usually have this). Wrap it in a few places with a few wraps of masking tape, slide it down the bore and use it to drive the spent casing out.. works like a champ. ;)

I would take it to a competent gunsmith for evaluation after that before I tried to fire it again..

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I use a section of aluminum round stock, smaller than the bore diameter, longer than the barrel. (Home Depot or Ace usually have this). Wrap it in a few places with a few wraps of masking tape, slide it down the bore and use it to drive the spent casing out.. works like a champ. ;)

I would take it to a competent gunsmith for evaluation after that before I tried to fire it again..

This. Never ever use a wooden dowel.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

This is what I do on empty stuck casings.

O.P. If there is a live round you have to be VERY careful.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    i like the idea of an aluminum rod over a wooden dowel. ive had plenty of .22wmr cases split and stick in my old marlin i keep one in my range bag.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In case it breaks?
    What if I use a pretty small diameter dowel rod and tape the whole thing in case it breaks?
    Just a thought...

The problem with a wooden dowel is if it breaks the wrong way the ends will slide past each other and wedge tightly in the barrel. Then you have a stuck shell casing and a wooden plug both stuck in the barrel. Do an internet search on stuck bore snakes for some real horror stories of barrels obstructed with lots of things, including wooden dowels, while trying to get the bore snake out.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It also wouldn't hurt to apply some lubricant down the barrel. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then use the dowel of your choice.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    M1 Garand? Spent case in gun. Was this a FTE or did you put it back in for some reason? Looks like you have found some sound advice on getting it out. I'm just curious why it is in there.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    That Korean KA is corrosive. When the spent round is extracted you need to do a real through job of cleaning the bore and gas system. Good Luck.

M1 Garand? Spent case in gun. Was this a FTE or did you put it back in for some reason? Looks like you have found some sound advice on getting it out. I'm just curious why it is in there.

Yes Garand.
    The spent casing didn't eject.
    I'd imagine it was because I didn't clean the rifle after the prior time I'd fired it, hence the first sentence of the original post. I'm an idiot. :o
    Won't happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom