• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I once had a spent round stuck in the chamber. It was not because the chamber was dirty but there was a lot of crud in the extractor claw. I cleaned it out with a dental pick, let the bolt fly home and the round extracted. Please check yours.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I once had a spent round stuck in the chamber. It was not because the chamber was dirty but there was a lot of crud in the extractor claw. I cleaned it out with a dental pick, let the bolt fly home and the round extracted. Please check yours.

Not with the broken rim on that casing. There's nothing wrong with the extractor. Well, maybe after doing that kind of damage, it should be looked at.

I'm thinking a spilt casing or a very dirty chamber.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Yes Garand.
    The spent casing didn't eject.
    I'd imagine it was because I didn't clean the rifle after the prior time I'd fired it, hence the first sentence of the original post. I'm an idiot. :o
    Won't happen again.

I think your right, the KA ammo is corrosive and not cleaning the last time you shot it most likely has caused corrosion that the round stuck to.
    I would put some Kroil in the barrel and let it work awhile and then use the aluminum rod as others suggested.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i would have the chamber and gas system inspected, since the extractor seems to be functioning.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    The surgery was a success! It was touch and go, but the tape wrapped metal rod finally got it free.
    Then I spent about a half hour with some Hoppe's #9 and about 50 patches and it seems much cleaner. Will do some more work cleaning it in the next few days.

i hope your chamber doesnt look like that!:sad20:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dont use a soft metal or aluminum rod which can complicate matters worse in the case of a bore obstruction from a bullet that is lodged in the bore or like a squib load,tree bark, cleaning jag etc. If you have to pound on the rod you can get messed up with aluminum. In your case (no pun intended) use a 9/32 polished drill rod to drive it out or for a closer fit in a .30 cal bore a 19/64 will just slide through but use this one gingerly because if it gets stuck it will fuse itself to the lands. Drill rods can be found in sizes by 64ths making it possible to find a rod to fit nearly every size bore.One of the surest ways to ruin a chamber is to remove a stuck case by trying to pry it out with a sharp tool. When you get it out look at the case and you may see what grabbed it by studying the brass.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Looks like your at serious disadvantage if that's from rust, generous dimensions on a spec m1 chamber are not going to allow that to be cleaned up with a reamer to easily unless you re qualify the barrel. If its carbon fouling, you may get lucky hope you can find a solution.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    For the love of all that is good and holy in this world, don't EVER, I repeat, don't EVER put a wooden dowel in a barrel.

Think it will fit? It won't. Think you can hammer it out if it breaks? you can't.

Did this with my FAL with a ruptured case. Wooden dowel breaks off, steel rods drive right through the dowel, perfectly wedging it against the bore and sticking the metal rod in the center like concrete. Took me a week with two specialized drill bits, aluminum rod, and a thousand strikes from a ten pound hammer to clear the bore, which, miraculously, was unharmed.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That has got to be the ugliest piece of brass I've ever seen. I think that rifle NOW needs to be seen by a gunsmith.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The brass looks that way from being fired in a rusty chamber, unfortunately the barrel may be toast. Need to strip the rifle down, check the gas cylinder and op rod, anything that has come in contact from the corrosive gas from the KA ammo.

Orlando

From the looks for that brass I would say your chamber is pitted. Not amount of cleaning is going to help. May be a canidate for rebarrel.
    If you are going to shoot corrosive ammo you need to take appropriate steps to clean or you end up with a tomato stake
    You should also pull off the gas cylinder and clean under it, the bolt ,inside the receiver, etc
    Leave the corrosive ammo for a bolt rifle

Yeah, I'm pretty disheartened at this point.
    I live literally 5 minutes from Brownstone, but I just called and the message says they're closed until this time next week :(
    Anyone know if this is the type of thing they could handle at Duffy's?

Well, I started this thread by conceding that I am an idiot.
    Now my feelings toward myself are a lot more harsh.
    Took it to Duffy's and they said I'll need a new barrel.
    I'm very disappointed in myself.
    I'm going to go sit in the corner for a while... :(

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    One must be very careful about proper cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo... it can be really nasty stuff if it sits in contact with many metals for long. I equate it to shooting my muzzleloader with good ole black powder. It will need a thorough cleaning upon completion of shooting.

Sorry to hear that, it's a really tough lesson to learn that way, but that brass looked really bad on the outside, which is basically an imprint of the chamber surfaces. They are really rough and that chamber does not really allow for any further reaming to clean it up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom