• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Marin Armstrong, FWIW, is recommending old silver coins, beans and pasta.

Add rice. Beans + rice give you all the necessary amino acids required to avoid malnutrition. Vitamin C to ward off scurvy. Vitamin D. Tins of olive or other cooking oil; lots of calories there, welcome when it gets cold.

A stash of decent booze would be fine trading fodder.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Gold and silver do not have much good standing in the USA. However, if you ever got stranded in a third world country, gold and silver can get you food, transportation, and so on. You can trade those metals for some money and get yourself out of the bind.

In the USA, you just need to smash and grab like those f-ing Democrats. When things get really bad, you can always find where Pelosi hides her ice cream.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ok so lets say the SHTF and your trying to buy a case of tomato soup but all you have is a 1 oz gold eagle. How do you make change??
    When the SHTF, small denominations will be far more useful and trade more easily that a full 1 oz coin or bar. The same with silver. you will likely be able to negotiate better if youhave a couple rolls of mercury dimes than a roll of silver eagles..
    Cut coins are a thing.

Remember hearing tales of pirate booty called pieces of eight, or 2 bits used to get you a shave and a haircut?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Ok so lets say the SHTF and your trying to buy a case of tomato soup but all you have is a 1 oz gold eagle. How do you make change??
    When the SHTF, small denominations will be far more useful and trade more easily that a full 1 oz coin or bar. The same with silver. you will likely be able to negotiate better if youhave a couple rolls of mercury dimes than a roll of silver eagles..
    If things are THAT bad, you want liquor miniatures and 200l bottles, and also cigarettes

Those will be gold

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but can’t figure out why people value precious metals for when the shtf. Who are they going to trade with and what for? A box of ammo will be worth a bar of gold in my opinion. You can’t hunt and put food on the table with a handful of silver coins. Food store shelves will be empty. The pandemic gave us an idea of what it will be.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but can’t figure out why people value precious metals for when the shtf. Who are they going to trade with and what for? A box of ammo will be worth a bar of gold in my opinion. You can’t hunt and put food on the table with a handful of silver coins. Food store shelves will be empty. The pandemic gave us an idea of what it will be.
    There will be 2 economies, when fiat currency has run its course. Of course, there will be the barter community as you pointed out. but there also needs to be a basis of establishing value.

If you are a successful farmer who had a bumper corn crop and you trade a portion of your crop with a neighbor who had a bumper crop of sugar cane for about the same amount. Being industrious, you created moonshine from your crops.

Now, you have 2 options, trade for what you need locally or exchange your product for something of value (gold or silver) that can be turned into something else at a later date that will not spoil/expire.

Of course, most people will have nothing as they live in HOAs like sardines in a can.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Correct me if I am wrong, and I am many times. When you invest with gold on these brokerage firms, they take your money, hold the gold in the save vault it has always been in and issue you like a stock receipt for your gold bar purchase. Is this correct? If so, if a SHTF moment happened, I doubt many people are going to be worried about the security of that vault and your gold will be in a place you can't reach it, to use it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Correct me if I am wrong, and I am many times. When you invest with gold on these brokerage firms, they take your money, hold the gold in the save vault it has always been in and issue you like a stock receipt for your gold bar purchase. Is this correct? If so, if a SHTF moment happened, I doubt many people are going to be worried about the security of that vault and your gold will be in a place you can't reach it, to use it.
    Those firms are worthless in a SHTF scenario, as you pointed out.

When investing in gold and silver, it's best to physically possess the tangible asset.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    It means you can't buy a truckload of gold bars. Where are you going to put it? The super rich have thousands of acres of land to hide it, or they can always buy a mansion in Switzerland.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    What was the estimate compliance rate with EO 6102 in 1933 that prohibited US ownership or trade in gold? I really don't remember seeing any sort of estimation on how many folks actually complied with that. I'm pretty sure it would be very low if it happened today.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    What was the estimate compliance rate with EO 6102 in 1933 that prohibited US ownership or trade in gold? I really don't remember seeing any sort of estimation on how many folks actually complied with that. I'm pretty sure it would be very low if it happened today.
    Always pay cash for your gold.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    gold and silver will have carry over value to the next economy that emerges. It is a value holder for stable times.

on the other hand if SHTF turns into an apocalypse scenario, then its usefulness will be limited.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    When you have stuff, you’re vulnerable

When you care about someone, you’re more vulnerable

PMs will always have value. How much and to whom will be the question.

Andy Jackson and Benjamin Franklin’s pictures on cloth/paper scrip will have value briefly following SHTF or similar. After that brief period, their value Will predominantly be as shit tickets and fire starter.

What will have value and whether or not that value is stable are great questions. There are some solid bets…food related, vice related, defense related. Comfort related will also have value but likely less that the big three.

Things will sort themselves out in the value department. They always do.

Guessing right, now and guessing, right now might be a fools chase. Yet we continue to do it. Human nature I guess.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    And lets nor forget the most important and valuable barter item in a SHTF scenario.. More valuable than gold, more valuable than silver, more valuable than diamonds......
    TOILET PAPER!

"
    THEY AIN'T PRINTING THE SEARS CATALOG OR YELLOW PAGES ANYMORE!"

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    When you have stuff, you’re vulnerable

When you care about someone, you’re more vulnerable

PMs will always have value. How much and to whom will be the question.

When people know you have stuff, you become exponentially more vulnerable, especially in bad times.

Bad times bring bad people.

Be safe, be careful.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Been buying bullion for a few years now and I don't see it as a SHTF thing its another asset in my portfolio and I will sell silver if it hits $40+ I refuse to follow the FOMO and belive its the end all be all currency, the better thing to have in SHTF is guns, ammo and skills because you can't eat gold or silver but you can shoot a deer or grow crops and eat that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom