• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Guns and ammo will always have value. Booze and food that lasts for years will always have value. The rest is worth a bunch if the SHTF scenario is limited to regional disputes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Guns and ammo will always have value. Booze and food that lasts for years will always have value. The rest is worth a bunch if the SHTF scenario is limited to regional disputes.
    Good and silver have had value for thousands of years. Ammo/food/water purification/medications/intoxicants will have the most value early in a complete societal collapse. As we re-establish some semblance of a society, they will become valuable again. I stockpile a lot of stuff….

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    When people know you have stuff, you become exponentially more vulnerable, especially in bad times.

Bad times bring bad people.

Be safe, be careful.

Hence the First Rule of Fight Club.

It means you can't buy a truckload of gold bars. Where are you going to put it? The super rich have thousands of acres of land to hide it, or they can always buy a mansion in Switzerland.
    Since 1 standard gold bar weighs 400 Troy oz and is worth $792,160 at today's spot price, most people probably wouldn't be buying truckloads or need thousands of acres to hide what they could afford.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A lot of people have been able to buy a seat on the last boat, train, plane, etc. heading out of a place you no longer want to be using gold or silver. A gold coin might become your get out of Dodge ticket. Some people will value gold or silver even if they don't need the other things you have to trade. After SHTF the value of anything will depend on supply and demand so it is wise to diversify your trading stock so you will always have something that is in demand.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    There are no crystal balls to tell us what form SHTF might take. Always better to have and not need a store of wealth, than to need and not have.

May we never know a world where a brick of .22 proves to be the most precious metal of all.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    A lot of people have been able to buy a seat on the last boat, train, plane, etc. heading out of a place you no longer want to be using gold or silver. A gold coin might become your get out of Dodge ticket.
    100% agree with this as the best use of gold and silver bullion.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    While true, not sure I'd be trading guns and/or ammo to anyone under such scenarios. Equipping someone with the items/ability to kill or rob me doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    It's funny how many gun banning folks I know were asking me how to buy a gun during the Baltimore riots a few years ago. Their liberal kumbaya approach to community changed when folks said they were taking their protests to the suburbs.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    It's funny how many gun banning folks I know were asking me how to buy a gun during the Baltimore riots a few years ago. Their liberal kumbaya approach to community changed when folks said they were taking their protests to the suburbs.
    People's perspectives always change after something bad happens, after the Maine shooting one of my liberal coworkers were asking me what handgun she should get, I told her the states process on acquiring a handgun and a carry liscense.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It's pretty amazing how heavy a fat .50 ammo can is when full of pre 64 silver dollars!
    Look for the 1893 S coins, some are worth over $1000 in decent shape, in mint uncirculated they are over $200K. My FIL is getting ready to have heart surgery so we were going through his coins. He has probably 200 Morgan silver dollars and 5 of the 1893-S coins. At a minimum they are worth about $100, some can fetch a lot more.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    There are no crystal balls to tell us what form SHTF might take. Always better to have and not need a store of wealth, than to need and not have.

May we never know a world where a brick of .22 proves to be the most precious metal of all.
    I have more .22s than I do gold.

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    I don't have a scheduled buy, but I periodically buy some silver. I always get either 1 oz. silver rounds or 1 oz. American silver eagles. I'd like to add some gold, but the premiums on less than 1 oz. is a little steep.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't have a scheduled buy, but I periodically buy some silver. I always get either 1 oz. silver rounds or 1 oz. American silver eagles. I'd like to add some gold, but the premiums on less than 1 oz. is a little steep.
    Save up your money until a repiblican president gets in office. Hopefully that lends to a stronger dollar.

You will be able to buy gold by the ounce during the dip in price.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    There are a lot of discussions about how the price of silver has been artificially depressed for several years.
    Some collectors are expecting a significant pop. Silver is showing signs of activity lately but it's early yet.

I don't really follow this logic. If we really are headed for a economic calamity, industrial demand for silver will plummet so it will lose value. Gold seems like the better bet.

What am I missing here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom