• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Trying to finally get this going. As of now I am looking at 4 April. I have a press. I know another member mentioned to me he has a trigger jigg and a pair of modified Bolt cutters. So:

1) Is the date good?
    2) Where can we work? My place is out, the Garage is full and no way in hell can I empty it in less than a year.:sad20::sad20::lol2:
    3) A drill press could be useful. Anyone have a small table top model? I may be able to borrow one from the neighbor.
    4) What finish is everyone planning for their receiver?
    5) I have a barrel pin toll for my press.
    6) I have gear pullers to use to press out the barrel.
    7) I have an air compressor if needed.
    8) I still need to finish my demil - trigger guard still has 2 partial rivets in and front trunnion needs barrel and pin removed.
    9) I have a NDS receiver, so I don't plan on bending a flat, but if someone wants to, you are more than welcome to use the press, but I don't have a receiver jigg.

Opinions? I am going to put a link into the SoMd forums to this.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I'll be flying back from San Francisco on the 4th but I'll keep it in mind. I have two kits completely ready to go (except the NDS Romanian needs the marked holes drilled out). My brothers have a very large drill press, that won't move easily. Their work area is cramped and covered with 'projects' in progress. :rolleyes: As I have my barrels out, etc., it may be that I can join you as you progress through the project. Do you still have my cell phone #?

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    The 4th works for me. I know of a member up in the Joppa region who has offered his bending jig if I pick it up, so if nobody local has one I'll make the drive. I also need to do demils.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I'll be flying back from San Francisco on the 4th but I'll keep it in mind. I have two kits completely ready to go (except the NDS Romanian needs the marked holes drilled out). My brothers have a very large drill press, that won't move easily. Their work area is cramped and covered with 'projects' in progress. :rolleyes: As I have my barrels out, etc., it may be that I can join you as you progress through the project. Do you still have my cell phone #?

A quick look and all I can find is your work number. I must have deleted the cell. Pm me.

I am open to other dates. Easter weekend is out. Wifes B-day weekend. The weekend after Easter family comes to town and we are heading to MG to do a little hole punching.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Ready to go, just waiting on the confirmation of a time and place.

I think I'm bailing on this one. The little one has Tee ball on Saturdays (:o Forgot that was starting already) and since we've had such crappy weather so far, they keep cancelling practice, so this Sat will be the first and I can't miss it.

I thought we had more members down here who needed to do builds. :innocent0 I know who you are!!

SoMDGuy - what is your schedule? I often telework and we could hook up on one of those days. I know C&Rdaze has a few to do too, but his schedule is sorta wacked now too.

On another note I got the DAMN Barrel pin out. BUT, the barrel won't budge. I am only using a gear puller. Anybody have any ideas??

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    SoMDGuy - what is your schedule? I often telework and we could hook up on one of those days.

Thursdays and Fridays are best for me, in that order, between 9-ish and 3-ish. Can go later on Thursdays.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I'm off every other Friday, as in April 10, 24, etc. Right now I'm over run with spring coming to the 'farm' and it raining most weekends plus weeklong TDY once a month for March, April, and May. Plan something and I'll do my best to be there. :thumbsup:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Looking for input

1) Best finish for the receiver to match the existing metal finish.
    2) I bought the NDS-1, it does not have the trunnion holes pre-drilled. Any opinions on the best way to mark the proper location for drilling?

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    When you fit the trunnion to the receiver, is the front edge of the receiver flush with the front surface of the trunnion or will you need to remove metal?

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    Everything I've seen is the Front trunnion is even with the front of the receiver.

Here's what looks like the best solution to me:

Clamp the trunnion and receiver in their assembled orientation to keep things from shifting.

Scribe a light reference mark across each side of the front edge of the receiver and trunnion face, somewhere high up near the grooves for the top rail.

Using a small square, measure how far down and how far in each rivet hole in the trunnion is from that reference mark(may be a small challenge to get the measurement on that rear hole),

Then transfer that to the receiver.

That looks like it will do the trick, although I haven't tried it myself, and the trunnion face and receiver edge have to be really square.

</rube goldberg>

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    This tool looks promising.

SBS_receiver_51.jpg

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    I need too many parts to start it anytime soon. :sad20: Good luck! :thumbsup:

I have nearly all the compliance parts for all three builds (still shy one trigger group and one synthetic stock set), I'm just focussing on getting the bendy bits and the drilly and rivetty bits out of the way...everything else can be finished at leisure. Dollars to donuts they'll all have to get buried soon, anyway.

Plus, I still have to do the FAL. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom