• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    not if you want a quality one.

I HIGHLY recommend doing NDS receivers though; the features you get for about $120 after transfer make any flat or 80% receiver pale in comparison. Stepped top rail, fully heat treated receiver, and much more exact than any homemade jig will get you.

Yep, I'm Ferret's new building partner and though I have never built off of a flat, I have to give NDS receivers :thumbsup::party29::thumbsup::party29::thumbsup:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    you have three thumbs?

how have i not noticed this?

eddie--if you've got time to drill the holes, you've got time to rivet. shouldn't take you more than about 15 minutes for the front trunnion. if it takes you longer....well then you just need MORE PRACTICE!! :evilgrin3

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Hey AF - how are you reinstalling the barrels into the completed receiver? I found a video showing the install of the rivets, and they look rather easy. I even had the jig for the trigger guard, so I know that will be easy.

Guess the next build will be a Polish underfold. Gotta increase my Polish collection.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    AK-builder's barrel press kit.

If navy federal ever sends me a new debit card (had fraud, need to order parts/tools), frozen and I are gonna be headspacing his '74. We'd be happy to schedule it for a time when you're available if you'd like to watch/get hands-on with the process.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I'm about ready to 'need' a barrel press or I'm going to try to put it in by hand and hammer. My Tantal is all riveted and ready. The Yugo and Romanian have about 2-3 rivets each that need attention, then they are ready for the barrel addition. :)

I'm thinking about applying the finish to the Tantal and Yugo receivers before putting the barrels on because the original finish is quite nice. The Romanian is almost 'in the white', so to speak, so I'm looking to reinish the whole gun.

I have the Wheeler Ceramic spray/bake flat black can. I know I'll have a two tone but maybe it will be 'eye catching'. :innocent0

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I got it orignally to treat one of those Sistemas that came in without any finish but have not gotten to it yet. This could be a multiple bake effort. :thumbsup:

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I've built Tantals, Romanian G kits, AMD-63s, and 65s.....I've got a press, drill press, and some jigs to include rivet jigs and flat bending jigs.....but haven't built anything in a while.......am deployed but get back in Mar......

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    FINALLY got the rivets crushed.:party29: They aren't the most beautiful, but I am a perfectionist at heart. Unfortunately, on the last one I F'd up my jig.:mad54::mad54: I had the arm extended too far and didn't notice the bending until it was too late. I think I fixed it good enough, but we'll see. Later this week my coating arrives and I hope to have it ready for barrel install next weekend. I am gonna try "shooters solutions rugged gun blue". It appears to leave a nice DARK black finish. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll bake some rustoleum on.

Anyone know how to straighten the ram on a press? The crappy Chinese one I have from Harbor Freight has a bent/crooked ram and I didn't notice until recently.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    DONE!!!!!!!!!

Well OMFG it is finally complete!!!! Friday I sprayed and baked the receiver. My plan on Blueing the Receiver did not pan out. Ended up using High Temp BBQ/Smoker paint. I am sure it will not hold up to the solvent, but it came out quite well. Installed the barrel using the thread all method. Worked great!:thumbsup: Of coursed I used too much anti-seize on the barrel and that crap goes everywhere and won't come off:mad54::mad54: Furniture needed a little trimming due to the ploy and stripping. I did blue the buttplate and sling mount. They actually came out good.

Thanks to Inigoes for the axis pin retaining help. I ended up cutting the original spring/clip and using like a video recommended.

Bolt carrier is a little tight. It needs a little forward assist from the rear most position. I am going to work it, then disassemble to see where it needs help.

I took some pics, but they sucked. Will get some up soon.:party29:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    As promised:

Attachments

• IMG_4190_sm.jpg
      IMG_4190_sm.jpg
      120.9 KB · Views: 155
    • IMG_4191_sm.jpg
      IMG_4191_sm.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 152

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Hey guys. I am new to site in So MD playing with "DEMIL" kit parts sets for a few years but havent really finished any yet. I have the bending jig set drillpress and welding equip. I was considering tack welding instead of rivets for the trunions because it seems like it would be easier to keep everything alligned I wouldnt mind finishing these up sometime soon. Any ideas? John B

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    While welding can be done and results in a mostly secure build, it just doesn't "look right" when all is finished. It also has a higher risk of failure later on down the line; most welded builds tend to crack around the welds at the rear trunnion after a few thousand rounds. Recoil buffers don't really fix this issue at all, either.

You're better off just riveting it from the get-go. You'll be much happier in the long run. :)

(BTDT, so I have some experience in this area ;))

As with other board members, if you don't mind the haul to Severn, I'd be happy to help instruct you with a rivet jig for your builds. :thumbup:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    EddieK, nice job on your AK!

I have several parts kits and am bending some flats later next month... I'll be hitting some of you guys up shortly for your expertise and help on the actual build. If I can find a garage donor for space, I'd like to pull together a build party.

Hvymax, if you're going to do it, use rivets. Not that much more difficult and looks better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom