Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Even easier idea:

amdbuild-4-riveting1-66.JPG

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Well I finally have the trigger guard jig and rivet jig. Now all I need is a tool similar to the one above and some time. Probably just bend some steel, tap, and loctite a screw in. The rear trunnion is gonna be more of a bear. Hate to spend the $$ on another jig. Anyone have one I could borrow?

I think I gonna have to pick up a polish underfold kit to make use of the jigs a few times.:D:o

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Shouldn't be that hard to build, especially if you already have an AK to use as a template

edit: I would have to use wood to create the jig, because my welding skills suck.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I just drilled my Romanian NoDak Spud receiver over the weekend. After checking and checking some more for marking the holes, I used a smaller sized bit to check alingment. Rear trunnion :thumbsup: Front trunnion; two holes :thumbsup: ; third hole (rear one) half way off :tdown: So its a little Dremial tool work to get it right.

After thinking that my Polish Tantal was going to be the hardest to get together, its turning out to be the simple one. All three of mine are starting to look like something besides a pile of parts. ;) I have some that have good original finish and am only going to refinish the receiver. My Romanian is 'in the white' as they say. So I will treat the whole firearm. I have Wheeler spray and bake flat black. Basically, I want it protected and to go bang. :innocent0

Hornblas

Ignore these four words
    Dec 1, 2008
    Mechanicsville
    I would love to get in on it..cept I have no parts yet.

Are you guys using blanks for your receivers, or are you just using sheet steel?If so, what grade of steel?

Also, anyone ever thought of trying to mill one? I have a mill, and access to Bar stock.

I also have Chroming and Electroplating Equipment....Though I have barely used it..it is kind of complicated and dangerous...Still..i wonder if that will help me with a build in the future

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I just drilled my Romanian NoDak Spud receiver over the weekend. After checking and checking some more for marking the holes, I used a smaller sized bit to check alingment. Rear trunnion :thumbsup: Front trunnion; two holes :thumbsup: ; third hole (rear one) half way off :tdown: So its a little Dremial tool work to get it right.

After thinking that my Polish Tantal was going to be the hardest to get together, its turning out to be the simple one. All three of mine are starting to look like something besides a pile of parts. ;) I have some that have good original finish and am only going to refinish the receiver. My Romanian is 'in the white' as they say. So I will treat the whole firearm. I have Wheeler spray and bake flat black. Basically, I want it protected and to go bang. :innocent0

I should have posted sooner. I have the Rivet hole locator jig. Very similar to AKbuilder's. All you need is a drill Press and a couple clamps. Got it just before thanksgiving. As usual, I need the time to use it. You are more than welcome to borrow it anytime. :thumbsup:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I would love to get in on it..cept I have no parts yet.

Are you guys using blanks for your receivers, or are you just using sheet steel?If so, what grade of steel?

Also, anyone ever thought of trying to mill one? I have a mill, and access to Bar stock.

I also have Chroming and Electroplating Equipment....Though I have barely used it..it is kind of complicated and dangerous...Still..i wonder if that will help me with a build in the future

Cool! We could pimp our AKs:D:D:lol2:

Tom and I have been using NoDAK spud receivers. He is way farther along than I am. My furniture is finished. My parts demilled. My barrel has been pressed out. Now I just need time with a drill press, then some time on my Shop press to install the rivets.

I am still wondering about a finish. I want to finish the receiver to match the rest of the original metal. Too much to do an no time. My Christmas break was consumed with a closet remodel, and auto repairs. Now my free time is going to be consumed with install an outdoor spa.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    I would like to do this too.

I think.

Would it make sense to go just to bend some flats and then hope to find parts kits later?

(in case you can't tell, I'm new to the building end of things...)

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I would like to do this too.

I think.

Would it make sense to go just to bend some flats and then hope to find parts kits later?

(in case you can't tell, I'm new to the building end of things...)

Bending flats requires another jig, but I believe another member may have one they could loan you. Buying a finished receiver is just easier, but regulated.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Bending flats requires another jig, but I believe another member may have one they could loan you. Buying a finished receiver is just easier, but regulated.

Yeah, that's the part I was hoping to avoid, both for hassle and cost reasons (flats cost ~$10, transfers range from $35 - $50, not to mention the headache involved with transferring regulated firearms). Also, I kind of like the idea of starting with an innocuous piece of sheet metal and turning it into something useful, y'know?

I asked because I've got friends in St. Mary's County, so a trip down there is almost never wasted. Anyone know of someone in the Howard County area with a bending jig (which I just found out costs about the same as a full rifle on gunbroker)?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I should have posted sooner. I have the Rivet hole locator jig. Very similar to AKbuilder's. All you need is a drill Press and a couple clamps. Got it just before thanksgiving. As usual, I need the time to use it. You are more than welcome to borrow it anytime. :thumbsup:

do you have a bending jig? oh man do you have a waiting list to borrow the drill fixture?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    flats cost ~$10

not if you want a quality one.

Tapco flats are absolute CRAP.

AK-builder.com sells flats that you'll actually like building on, as opposed to the Tapco ones which you will NOT.

After building 4 rifles on Tapco's flats, we (old building buddy in nebraska) invested in some AK-builder flats when they first came out. Holy freakin crap....what a difference.

We demilled the ones we'd built on tapco flats, and rebuilt them on AK-builder's.

I HIGHLY recommend doing NDS receivers though; the features you get for about $120 after transfer make any flat or 80% receiver pale in comparison. Stepped top rail, fully heat treated receiver, and much more exact than any homemade jig will get you.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Did my rivet holes today with the Jig. In a word AWESOME!!:party29::party29: I was a bit anal about leveling, tightening, attaching, etc... so it took way too long. But all Rivets will go into all holes at the same time. Might need to open up a hole or two, but very, very minor.

Now to find time to crush/install the rivets.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom